Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:22:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWonderer Prototype (Puzzle/Maze-like game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wonderer Prototype (Puzzle/Maze-like game)  (Read 564 times)
fatBread
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »

Hi

I've been working on and off on a prototype for a Maze-like game for some time now and I've got to a point where I need people to play what I have right now so I can understand where I am and how the concept stacks up. Any feedback is welcomed but have in mind this is at a very early stage and it's more like a proof of concept than anything. I need to see if it's interesting enough to continue to work on and what areas need improvements and changes.

The game is pretty simple. You control a ball and have to navigate the given path until the end. Pressing the space bar allows you to change the movement from horizontal to vertical. This first set of levels have a mechanic to change direction in the form of arrows on the stages that you have to use to get your ball to the end circle (it's easier to understand when playing I think). Every level also has an optional gold ball that you can get to complete the level (and game) at 100 per cent. In the final game my idea is for these balls to be used to unlock more levels so as to get players to try and get them.

The prototype that I have here has 15 levels and a level selector that will let you select any of the levels and will also show you if you have grabbed the gold ball.

That is all, thanks for taking the time to play and leave feedback on the game. Hopefully you'll like it but if you don't please be honest about it too!

You can play it here: http://googledrive.com/host/0B3mUNaWevKkNVzEzcGRzbEpKQTA

UPDATE1:

The prototype has been updated to change the way the space key works. Now the ball will change with Space Down instead of Space Up.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:19:31 AM by fatBread » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »

Big issue: You are detecting space release instead of space down! This confused me a lot at the beginning and made me thing the whole thing was broken. Have the thing turn the instant the space bar is down not once it is let go.

ccowan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »

Hi, I think your concept for this game is really good. The task at hand appears to be so simple that when you hit the walls, it makes you want to try again. Seems like it should be so easy, but then it is not.

I am not sure if I completely understand what determines the balls direction at first, meaning before it hits an arrow. I think it goes down and right if it never hits an arrow. Not sure if that is right though...

All in all, I think you should keep going. If you finish it up, and put it live where a group of people play, it would be fun for people to see who can get the highest level completed.

Nice work so far!

Pixel Artist & Game Music Composer Available for Hire

Affordable Pricing for Indy Developers
http://www.clarencegames.php
fatBread
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:32:15 AM »

Big issue: You are detecting space release instead of space down! This confused me a lot at the beginning and made me thing the whole thing was broken. Have the thing turn the instant the space bar is down not once it is let go.

Yes, this is an issue that some people reported and messed up some people too. It was an oversight on my part and something I didn't even notice since I was so used to how it played.

I will change it for sure in the next build. Hopefully it won't make the game too easy.

Thanks for playing and the feedback!

Hi, I think your concept for this game is really good. The task at hand appears to be so simple that when you hit the walls, it makes you want to try again. Seems like it should be so easy, but then it is not.

I am not sure if I completely understand what determines the balls direction at first, meaning before it hits an arrow. I think it goes down and right if it never hits an arrow. Not sure if that is right though...

All in all, I think you should keep going. If you finish it up, and put it live where a group of people play, it would be fun for people to see who can get the highest level completed.

Nice work so far!

Thanks for playing and I'm glad you liked it! Really helps to motivate me to keep working on it.

Regarding the ball movement, you are correct. That is the base movement. It's the thing I tried to show with the first level. On subsequent levels the ball maintains whatever direction it had when you finished the previous level (assuming I didn't mess up something). So when you start changing the movement with arrows it will not reset to the basic movement when you change the level.
fatBread
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:18:28 AM »

So, I updated the prototype so the ball changes on Space Down instead of  Space Up. Just a little change but now should be the correct way.

The link to play it has been updated so if you can try it with this chance it would be really helpful. If you haven't tried it yet it should also be a better experience.

Thanks for playing!
You Blister My Paint
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »

This is kind of interesting but gets frustrating pretty quick. Making the turns more forgiving would probably help.

I like the aesthetic (even if it is just a prototype) and the level that intros the bounce arrow mechanic is a really well designed mechanic intro.

What is your ultimate target platform for this?

fatBread
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Currently I'm aiming for a web and/or mobile release. The one touch controls should work pretty well on a mobile device.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic