Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:01:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGamedev.net simulator.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gamedev.net simulator.  (Read 1764 times)
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 12:51:34 PM »

I wonder if longtime tigs posters collectively developed some distinct annoying diction that we don't even notice and it's super grating to outsiders!

dum
just mak gams you manbaby

also quite a few people on tigsource tend to type things in lowercase and leave out punctuation in sentences except for two question marks at the end of the sentence to indicate sarcasm or irony??
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

all lowercase = the text version of informal or casual speech. that's how i use it at least.

also i'm lazy Tongue
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »

it depends on the tone I want to get across. just casually commenting on something doesn't warrant formal grammar, which is the writing equivalence of wearing a tie.

I reserve such things for the art and devlog forums or more serious discussion of important topics

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:01 PM »

I guess I just like wearing a tie all the time.

But yeah, I know most of the time the lowercase stuff is just for the sake of being casual. It's when the punctuation disappears and those two question marks show up that I know we've got some real TIGSource-style sarcasm going on. Though come to think of it, that's not actually all that unique to TIGSource.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »

it seems to be used on twitter and tumblr a lot.

but on tig it probably comes from eva, just like our favorite word dum
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 02:22:08 PM »

i literally cant even right now
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »

The problem with making an MMO isn't that it's impossible for one person to do.

The problem with making an MMO is that nobody was making an MMO for the /right reasons/.

Because there's no right reason to make an MMO.

S'basically ya had yer biggest camp of dudes what wanted to make MMOs, on gamedev.net or otherwise. They basically wanted to make MMOs because they wanted to PLAY an MMO but their moms wouldn't let them get World of Warcraft subscriptions.

The smaller camp grew up to make Farmville.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:30:16 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »

actually MMOs aren't inherently bad. they're probably the genre with the most wasted potential ever tho, because its risky to develop and run one, so everyone just clones whatever is currently popular (this means either WoW or watever the most popular korean mmo is) in hopes of getting a slice of the pie. as a result it's one of the most stagnant genres out there, which is saying a lot considering this is videogames we're talking about. this phenomenon actually existed even before WoW, back then it was everquest that was mercilessly cloned. WoW is actually kind of an everquest clone itself.

i know there are MMOs that break the mold like eve, but those are so few u can probably count em on one hand.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »

I want an mmo where you bake bread. Like, that's the main mechanic of the game. Baking bread.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

tbf my only experience with MMOs is like, playing Furcadia and Ultima Online on freeshards. Also Era Online. Nobody know what that is though. Oh and some super ancient version of Graal.

I miss oldschool Furcadia and Graal Sad They used to be weird and adventurous cause of the player made levels. But then they went the route of SecondLife and turned into soulless fuck basins.

UO is cool but the biggest issue there is that U7 has pretty much the same feature set but without having to deal with other people. Also U7 doesn't have horrible stones remix from the 3D client FUCK YOU DO NOT RUIN STONES.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »

Is there even such a thing as a good MMO anymore? The most fun I'd ever had in an online game was in a modded Minecraft server and I believe that that kind of experience is now lost because the server went down because the creator released his own game and didn't want to run the community anymore. What I'm getting at is that most online games are more interested in money than making you have fun.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic