Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:49:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDragonpath - Top-down action RPG (released on Steam)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Dragonpath - Top-down action RPG (released on Steam)  (Read 11625 times)
Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:08:56 AM »

Dragonpath is a Diablo-like action RPG. It's created with Unity by two dudes from Finland. I do 3D art, coding and Unity stuff while my buddy does 2D art and writing. We have been working on the game for about 2 years thus far.

Info:
  • 15 levels with unique bosses and over 30 basic enemy types.
  • Randomgenerated maps with some special rooms (for example ambush, treasure or hidden zone).
  • Hero gains all abilities directly from equipped items.
  • Singleplayer, local co-op and online co-op.

April 2014: Project started

30.10.2015: Greenlit

14.12.2015: Steam Early Access started

7.7.2016: Version 1.0.0 reached, Early Access ended

Demo (with 4 levels) || Store page

-Fainz

Videos:

Screenshots:

Edit 7.7.2015: Added mention of v1.0.0 release and changed video
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:10:21 AM by Fainz » Logged

Dragonpath - Top-down action RPG (Devlog) || Nuclear Rune - Tactical party RPG (Devlog) || Ebonscale Games
Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »

I'm finally starting to learn how to make gifs, so here's a couple of them.

2h sword basic attacks and Dwarven Runeblaster pewpew

Death message inspired by Dark Souls

Dragonpath - Top-down action RPG (Devlog) || Nuclear Rune - Tactical party RPG (Devlog) || Ebonscale Games
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »

I like the idea of equipment giving abilities - so the game will be "class-less"? You can basically change your play-style/class simply by switching equipment - and levels just make you stronger in general?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »

I like the idea of equipment giving abilities - so the game will be "class-less"? You can basically change your play-style/class simply by switching equipment - and levels just make you stronger in general?

Yes, that's correct.

The hero can have up to 6 abilities:
1. Weapon - basic attack (often a 3-hit combo)
2. Weapon - special attack (blink strike, shockwave, counter, spin-to-win etc..)
3. Trinket - varies, often a medium-cooldown ranged special attack
4. Armor - usually defensive ability, can be passive
5. Blessing (gained when reaching a certain level) - usually a powerful passive ability which occasionally activates in combat
6. Boots - movement ability (dash, slide kick, blink etc..)

Player can also quickly switch between a melee and ranged weapon in combat (changing the first 2 abilities)

Leveling up gives a passive boost, which player chooses from 3 options (which in turn are randomly picked from a total of about 10: Health, damage, attack speed, cooldown reduction etc..)

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:18:09 AM »

Level transitions are now +152% more awesome than before:
The hero jumps into a portal (which opens after level boss is defeated), then falls down with a thud to starting room of the next level.

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »

Looks good! I love when the main character has a huge-*** sword, like in the first gif. It just makes you feel that more badass.

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »

Looks good! I love when the main character has a huge-*** sword, like in the first gif. It just makes you feel that more badass.

Glad you like it! There's currently 8 different big swords in the game, plus one huge hammer and a giant axe.

Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »

Holy crap I LOVE that transition animation!  Your game's looking more brilliant all the time, keep that polish up! Smiley

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »

Holy crap I LOVE that transition animation!  Your game's looking more brilliant all the time, keep that polish up! Smiley

Hey, happy to hear that! It's quite fun to add these little things to the game every now and then, and see how they add up over time Grin

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:43 AM »

Trying out some new hairstyles for the hero

A couple of hair models:

Some color variations for one of the styles:

Old hairstyle:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:06:59 AM by Fainz » Logged

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »

It's now possible to reflect projectiles by blocking with a melee weapon. The block has to be timed correctly though, the window is 0.5 seconds (with a small cooldown so simply spamming block won't work).

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:20:58 AM »

I'm testing out local 2-player coop in Dragonpath. The video linked below has just the bare minimum systems working. I've updated several features to work for both players (such as inventory, camera and skill buttons) after the video was made and next demo will probably have a fully working local coop.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:40:14 AM by Fainz » Logged

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 06:00:07 AM »

I'm working on a system for scripted events at the moment. It will probably be used for the game's intro and some special events.

The events are crafted using a custom inspector inside Unity. The video's cutscene looks like this:

[edit: changed "cutscene" to "scripted event". The system would work for cutscenes too, but I probably won't do many of them]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:19:20 AM by Fainz » Logged

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »

Today I made made some walltile models to make staring at walls more interesting. Here's a couple of them:

(Ye olde flat planes look like this)

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:09:32 AM »

A few screenshots of stuff I've done over the past few days:

Inventory comparison now shows the difference in modifiers between the compared items.

New armor inspired by Legacy of Kain.

Updated map UI (top right corner)

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 01:31:48 AM »

The hero has learned the art of proper potion drinking! He must now briefly stop to chug down the tasty healing juice, but the nourishing enjoyment lets him get more health from each potion.

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 02:28:14 AM »

This is how Dragonpath would look with an over the shoulder 3rd person view. Trying this out just for fun Grin

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 04:16:24 AM »

I started testing various camera effects today, most notably the bloom effect shown here. It'll take some tweaking to get the most out of them, but I think they'll boost the overall visual quality nicely once I figure out a good setup.

No bloom vs. reddish bloom

Bloom without color tint

Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 05:33:54 AM »

This is how Dragonpath would look with an over the shoulder 3rd person view. Trying this out just for fun Grin

You know, with better lock-on camera mechanics, I'd say this is a really good look for your game!

Fainz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »

You know, with better lock-on camera mechanics, I'd say this is a really good look for your game!

Thanks! But I think I'll stick with the top-down camera, in part because a lot of things would need to be redesigned to make this view work well. I might however make another game (or a spin-off) with this kind of view in the future Smiley.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic