Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:17:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIs the Horror genre making a comeback?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Is the Horror genre making a comeback?  (Read 4616 times)
Bmud_Team
Level 0

Blow Me Up Dude

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2015, 06:07:52 AM »

I think the genre is making an intresting comeback, but it is being pushed by the indie devs  Smiley and all can be found on Steam. I haven't seen many AAA horror games othet than The Evil Within and The latest Silent Hill.

What do you guys think?

BMUD Team Wink
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »

It's probably because AAA games need to appeal to as wide as an audience as possible, since they cost insane amounts of money to make these days. So they end up being more action horror than straight up horror (see for example Dead Space and Resident Evil). Indies don't need to sell the same amount of copies to break even, so they can afford to try to capture a more niche audience. That seems to be the story with many of the genres that are getting a resurgence: AAA neglected the genre so indies step in to fill the void.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 06:30:49 AM »

I thought that the horror genre already made a comeback some time ago and its golden age was with those games:
Amnesia, Penumbra, Outlast, Freddy five nights, Slender. amongst Survival Sandbox , there is a lot of games that include horror as a theme.

I tend to think that this market is oversaturated with bad horror game.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 06:36:47 AM »

Yeah, I'm with bakkusa and CKnudsen. I thought Amnesia and L4D had pretty much revived horror games, for scare-horror and gore-horror, respectively.
And horror games are too niche for AAA titles, unless the company in question is swimming in cash and can pretty much make whatever games they want - ie Valve.

AAA studios are having real troubles with monetization and graphical fidelity these days. I wouldn't go so far as to say that AAA studios are dead, but there's a real situation where the gaming audience has had their expectations set probably too high. When you've got popular press folks like TotalBiscuit 'licking walls' of the latest COD game to say whether or not it's worth buying based on wall texture resolution, there's a bit of a fucking problem in the AAA space and seeing the forest of games for the trees of technicalities.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:45:21 AM »

agree with bakkusa

also alien isolation is a recent AAA horror gam that directly copies the amnesia/penumbra formula
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 07:48:25 AM »

I'd forgotten about Isolation. SEGA was apparently not satisfied with the amount of copies it sold, so that'll probably just further push AAA developers away from making those kinds of games.

When you've got popular press folks like TotalBiscuit 'licking walls' of the latest COD game to say whether or not it's worth buying based on wall texture resolution, there's a bit of a fucking problem in the AAA space and seeing the forest of games for the trees of technicalities.

I can't stand when reviewers do that. It would be like a movie critic freeze framing his way through a movie to catch a frame that isn't 100% in focus. So goddamn dumb and pointless.

Laserbrain Studios
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 07:52:10 AM »

reviewers will point put lacking visual effects in a movie where it matters though

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Bmud_Team
Level 0

Blow Me Up Dude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »

I hear what you're saying bakkusa, I feel as though this genre will stay indie to be honest.

BMUD Team Wink
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »

Alien isolation
zombi, zombi u
dying light

there were some

In fact the indie stole the spotlight by being more efficient or gross or innovative, fnaf, outcast, etc ...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »

sonic dream collection
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:27 AM »

The most genuine approach to horror would be to intentionally putting a horror element in a game that is not intended to be horror. (I think Earthbound managed it)

Jim Sterling youtube page is a good example of inde horror oversaturation. (and Pewdiepie and similar youtubers not playing horror game anymore) i think we reached a limit in the horror game and there is a need of innovation.
OhiraKyou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »

The problem is that Horror is too broad a term at this point to use it as a tool to find games you may like. The type of Horror games that have been developed recently are very different from older games. Recently, we've seen an influx of hiding/running games. Penumbra, Amnesia, Outlast, Slender, and the derivative indie games that tend to attract a lot of YouTubers are all about running, hiding, and the occasional jump scare. And, there have been a lot of instant fail states with permanent death recently.

Games like the old Resident Evils and Fatal Frames that involved deliberate combat and action-driven progression are hard to come by these days, even within their own IPs. There have been a lot of 2D, side-scrolling indie horror games, but they've been rather samey, and they often also primarily involve running and hiding.

Really, all I'm saying here is that I want another good Fatal Frame game. Is that too much to ask for, world?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:46 PM »

reviewers will point put lacking visual effects in a movie where it matters though

Kinda. Movie reviewers that are actually worth a damn only tend to bring up VFX if they're exceptionally bad or good. But these let's players/game reviewers will literally stand their character facing smack up against a wall and complain if the wall texture is somewhat blurry. It's all about some PC gamers having this weird need to have games take full advantage of their expensive rigs -- it's got nothing to do with actual enjoyment of or immersion in the game.

Laserbrain Studios
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 01:54:45 AM »

yeh thats pretty much the reason i stay the heck away from the "pc gaming scene" despite playing most of my games on pc
Katsusiro_7
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »

its golden age was with those games:
Amnesia, Penumbra, Outlast, Freddy five nights, Slender

Well, if these games represent the golden age of the current generation horror games, then it is very sad.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 03:14:21 AM »

why? amnesia in particular basically fulfills the promise of older survival horror games in a lot of ways.
Katsusiro_7
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 06:31:23 AM »

why? amnesia in particular basically fulfills the promise of older survival horror games in a lot of ways.

Have nothing against Amnesia or Penumbra, but Slender and 5NAF don`t deserve such representation in my opinion.

Also isn`t Penumbra from another "horror games generation"? If not, then I will say that Call of Cthulhu impressed me much more than any of the mentioned games.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 07:05:48 AM »

Fnaf is surely the most pure horror game out there, it's all about the dread of anticipation and the ambiguousness of fear fuel by lore, it deserve way more praise that what appear at the surface.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »

Also isn`t Penumbra from another "horror games generation"? If not, then I will say that Call of Cthulhu impressed me much more than any of the mentioned games.

call of cthulhu has an excellent opening then turns into a lame shooter partway through. same with penumbra to some extent, actually. amnesia is like call of cthulhu if it didn't jump the shark.

a few years ago there were lots of ppl talking about call of cthulhu and how the chase sequence in that is where horror games should be headed, making the player character basically powerless against enemies and etc. then amnesia comes along and gives us exactly that. that's what i mean when i say these newer games deliver on the promises of older games, at least where pure horror is concerned.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:19:35 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Katsusiro_7
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »

call of cthulhu has an excellent opening then turns into a lame shooter partway through.

I totally agree with you, though I magically enjoyed every lame part of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic