Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:03:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGame and his creator identity
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Game and his creator identity  (Read 1590 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »

Lately i've been thinking a lot if i should start someday a devlog with the account i'm using right now or a new account unlinked with the one i'm using.
The reason is that i noticed for myself that i have to tendance to ignore a devlog when i dislike the author , and this could be fore multiple reasons (The way he is expressing himself through words, the way he approach topics, his avatar, his face if using his real photo, his ideologies ,aggressive marketive approach, ignored my post in his devlo(lol) ,deshumanized devlog etc...) and i'm far from being the friendly kind of person.
I'm worse in other forums.

I won't quote any devlog creators as it is a delicate subject, but i happen to see game released in steam and i end up not buying even though i'd enjoy the game just because i don't like the creator behind it.

while writing this my head told me that i just have to assume myself, since i'll still be a douche after beginning devlogging.

But i wonder if some people ever thought about this.

JK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »

I've actually never thought about it. Then again, I'm still a noob here lol Like myself, your future devlog might just attract people/newcomers who know absolutely nothing about you and justsohappen to be interested in your game. From what I've read here, you seem to be a decent individual.

SO. In the words of Joker, "Why so serious?"

Cheers
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »

im the same way.  Embarrassed

im not as judgemental as you (i wouldn't dislike someone just bc of their avatar on a forum lol) but if i think a person is an asshole it will usually make me not care about their work.

i realize that this is my fault and its me who needs to get over it
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 03:53:01 AM »

I'm more inclined to forgive folks for bad behaviour if they make good gam/devlog. YMMV.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:12:14 AM »

So faceless publishing does make purchasers less assuming.
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »

The one surefire way to get my eyes on your game is to be an asshole and have a link to your devlog in your sig. I need to see if the talk equals the walk. I make it a point to isolate my feelings for the creator and their work, I'd only be hurting myself if I let that deprive me of a good time. No one cares about you taking an anonymous moral stand against good art

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 03:32:51 PM »

I'm more inclined to forgive folks for bad behaviour if they make good gam/devlog. YMMV.

i guess it depends. if i liked the person's work before i knew they were an asshole, i'll probably continue liking it after finding out bc i have already formed an opinion on the work. if it's the other way around, the negative perception of the person is going to influence my assessment of the work. lol that was a really dorky way to put it but i hope u get what i mean

there are also obv people who have done things or hold views i consider unacceptable and i choose not to support these people in any way regardless of what i think of their "art".
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »

You'd have to live off the grid entirely to keep from funding people whose views you don't agree with. You've just chosen to punish the people tiny enough to not have their own PR department. I can throw Armikrog a twenty and feel secure that I'm not feeding homophobia, I'm feeding Doug. I don't want him to starve because he's wrong about something, that'd make me an asshole

It just mortifies me that I can spend an entire decade developing my skills with the intent of entertaining people when it would only take one faux pas to ruin my career forever, in a time where every social interaction I have is permanently recorded. What you see in a person's work is likely the most sincere projection of their character you're ever going to get. If that resonates with you, why not roll with it? Stow the ego and acknowledge that this human still has some merit

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »

Do I have an annoying avatar? Embarrassed

FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:21 PM »

Color cycling man, I dig it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »

You'd have to live off the grid entirely to keep from funding people whose views you don't agree with. You've just chosen to punish the people tiny enough to not have their own PR department. I can throw Armikrog a twenty and feel secure that I'm not feeding homophobia, I'm feeding Doug. I don't want him to starve because he's wrong about something, that'd make me an asshole

i have no interest in armikrog either way and i should say that i can't even think of any game i haven't bought bc of the developer's views.also it goes beyond simple "disagreement". also doug tennapel isn't going to literally starve if a bunch of people don't buy his game, he'll just make a little less money.

oh also i think political reasons are as valid as any other reason (maybe actually more valid) when it comes to purchasing decisions.

It just mortifies me that I can spend an entire decade developing my skills with the intent of entertaining people when it would only take one faux pas to ruin my career forever, in a time where every social interaction I have is permanently recorded. What you see in a person's work is likely the most sincere projection of their character you're ever going to get. If that resonates with you, why not roll with it? Stow the ego and acknowledge that this human still has some merit

ok, are you talking about the political stuff here or just personal distaste? because if its the latter i have already acknowledged that it's my problem that i can't separate art and artist and i probably need to get over it. also i think you're being a little dramatic here. phil fish got a lot of hate for some dumb things he said but fez still sold extremely well.
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:02:59 AM »

"Politics" is a big word when we're talking about individuals, implies that their power is of any consequence

ok, are you talking about the political stuff here or just personal distaste? because if its the latter i have already acknowledged that it's my problem that i can't separate art and artist and i probably need to get over it. also i think you're being a little dramatic here. phil fish got a lot of hate for some dumb things he said but fez still sold extremely well.

But did Fez sell before or after he started acting like a trash baby in public? I presumed the audience came first. Do you think he can get away with it with Superhypercube? Would any company still hire him? I guess I am overstating it since I can't think of any games that were jeopardized by the creator's reputation (Dark Skyes maybe, lol), but there's a big crowd of people out there that are pretty flippant about throwing creators under the bus and pretty good at posturing with boycotts. Gets me scared
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:05:15 AM by Ossiferous » Logged

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »

Liking a person tends to further my appreciation of their work. Disliking a person doesn't stop me from liking something they've worked on, but with so many others creating stuff, I might be less inclined to look into it.

I wouldn't create a muted alter ego or whatever. I feel like I'd judge a person more harshly if I knew that they did.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 02:07:16 PM »

But did Fez sell before or after he started acting like a trash baby in public? I presumed the audience came first. Do you think he can get away with it with Superhypercube? Would any company still hire him?

you're asking me this like i'm some kind of expert haha. i don't really know. but i think fish is still relatively well respected in dev circles. it's mainly gamers who hate him at this point.

but there's a big crowd of people out there that are pretty flippant about throwing creators under the bus and pretty good at posturing with boycotts. Gets me scared

when has a videogame boycott ever worked?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 02:40:36 PM »

(i'm thankful for the answers in this topic, kind of helped me towards some decisions)
Zugzwang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:53 PM »

My tendency is avoid anyone who personally offended me. But I think I'm selfish.

Assume you, the reade, that your best friend have dreams with your girlfriend. Or sometimes your mother hates you. And knowing how ugly and moron you are, it's probably truth.

It's curious, a vegan can say that eat meat is murderer but no ones can say that being homossexual is wrong.

I don't hate homossexuals.

Persons are more complex. I hate homossexual popular agenda but I love my best friend who loves a girl.

We lie and we betray. We just are offended after check a list of political rules. Our values are selective.

If you have bizarre and agressive beliefs, I will see you work but I don't will give like in your personal page.

By the other hand, I prefer negociate with persons who have the same beliefs. I want to boycott who supports some institutions or who do apology for crimes.

Of course, my personal decision of don't buy a thing don't allow me to debunk a work without technical reasons.

If I would be a radical I would never play my games. And I would have killed my father. (Ok, I tried it, but only once.)

"No matter what you believe, don't believe in you - and that's true."

Some persons acts as a arrogant to attract attention, to impress a impotent audience (see Unforgiven by Clint Eastwood), for fun or just being ironical about this archetype.

If you think I'm arrogant, congrats for your first smart thought.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:54:22 PM by Zugzwang » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »

(i'm thankful for the answers in this topic, kind of helped me towards some decisions)

you're welcome, this is an interesting subject to talk about
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

Assume you, the reade, that your best friend have dreams with your girlfriend. Or sometimes your mother hates you. And knowing how ugly and moron you are, it's probably truth.

It's curious, a vegan can say that eat meat is murderer but no ones can say that being homossexual is wrong.

I don't hate homossexuals. I hate everyone.

Persons are more complex. I hate homossexual popular agenda but I love my best friend who loves a girl.

Facepalm
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »

to an extent it can balance out, I'll surely tolerate someone more if they make things I love (one of my favorite games was made by someone on another message board who has typed out a few groaners) but there is definitely a line drawn somewhere; if someone just has really flawed ideas about the world to an extent I think is toxic or seeks to infringe upon the rights of others I would stay away from their games. thankfully I don't think tigs has many people who really fall into the latter group

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:09 PM »

You noticed about yourself that you don't like games from devs you don't like.
Would you like to be fooled by new avatars of the same dev?

I don't think holding up a 'friendly' facade by force works over a long time.
Just try not to be an asshole and everything is fine. Shrug
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic