Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 08:10:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeHelp me with an awesome company name
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help me with an awesome company name  (Read 1334 times)
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »

Yes, it has come to the point where I have to request the aid of the interwebz to come up with a name for my company.

Some info about my games;
- playful
- tiny in scale and presentation
- focussed around fun

Here's 2 of my games I think represent me best;
forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47112.20
gamejolt.com/games/dungeon-of-trials/86689
The games I enjoy myself are pretty much all from nintendo; Super mario series,  zelda,  pokemon, secret of mana.  More recently towerfall,  shovelknight, binding of isaac.

I had settled on the name "Invoke Super".  But noticed everyone thought it is shit,  so here I am :p

Here's some other ones I had thought of;
Magic wrench (my initials are MW)
Main Weapon
Strange Sword
Digital Relic
Hidden Compass
Leap of cake (piece of cake/leap of faith)
Eendhoorn (Eend = Duck,  Eenhoorn = Unicorn)
Lurking Monster
Mythic Roar
Magic Manual
Meek Wolfling / Mythic Wolfling

Aid me in my quest  Beg

Lorenzo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »

"Stop worrying so much about your company title, motto, all that nonsense…follow your gut, pick a name, and spend more time worrying about what your company actually DOES"

Also, if you're looking for a name for a hypothetical 'company' and not an actual commercial entity, I'd suggest going with your real name.
It saves you the trouble of having to manage pseudonyms (you may also decide you want to change it in the future and have to make sure everybody knows about your new name) and gives you a much more personal appearance instead of looking like a corporate being.

Just my opinion. Smiley

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »

Yeah, unless you actually want a trademark, you should pretty much just pick whatever you like and focus on making GAMES!!! Grin

Edit: I'll say that magic wrench does strike my fancy quite a bit though. I think it represents the spirit of an indie dev quite well.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »

It's something I have to stick with, so it has to be good the first time around. I don't want to use my own name as I like to separate personal life and business.
I'm on my own, no co-workers or something to discuss the company name with, it just sucks thinkng of something on your own :p
And choosing something without getting any feedback from other people doesn't seem to smart. What if I like the name dickbuttpoop, and never asked anyone about it :p

I made a logo for the Eendhoorn one.

How does it sound when you don't understand the words?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 03:22:54 PM »

Kind of weird I guess? The extra vowels seem kind of unnecessary, but it does sound unique and memorable so maybe it can work

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »

Kind of weird I guess? The extra vowels seem kind of unnecessary, but it does sound unique and memorable so maybe it can work
They're not extra, it's a dutch word haha. But that answers my question about how it sounds, so thanks :p

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »

Yeah, I saw your other post in the pixel art thread, I get it now haha

ironbelly
Level 0

Ironbelly Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »

My only advice is: Make it easy to pronounce and read. That's a big deal for people's memory and ability to search for you.

~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
Ironbelly Studios -
AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
Unity & Unreal Services(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Cod
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:06:25 PM »

another ideas if you want to stick with "Super": "Insert Super", "Start Super","Become Super"

btw. I enjoyed Dungeons of Trials for what it is. I had the same idea in mind for an upcoming game, only with deeper gameplay.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »

another ideas if you want to stick with "Super": "Insert Super", "Start Super","Become Super"

btw. I enjoyed Dungeons of Trials for what it is. I had the same idea in mind for an upcoming game, only with deeper gameplay.
Oh thanks Smiley Be sure to let me know when you start a devlog, I'm curious about your take on the idea!
I think I'm gonna go with the Eendhoorn one and hope the weirdness will make it stick. Seems to work for Vlambeer and some other dutch companies :p

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »

Yeah TBH Eendhoorn sounds really funny when you pronounce it out loud and I didn't realize that. Make sure that the name is pronounced in every one of your trailers, it'll help a lot IMO

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:42 PM »

Yeah TBH Eendhoorn sounds really funny when you pronounce it out loud and I didn't realize that. Make sure that the name is pronounced in every one of your trailers, it'll help a lot IMO
Oh that sounds līke a good idea. Ill have to find someone who can imitate a duck  Durr...?
Thanks for the feedbak guys!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:21 PM »

I know you said you don't want to use your real name, but let me give you one more reason to do so, in case you ever want to reconsider.

Authorship in art is important. Did you go see Warner Bros' Batman movies? No. You saw Christopher Nolan's Batman. This is important for the viewer/player/consumer as it gives him a real person to follow or avoid, to praise or blame. The game industry could certainly benefit from this a little more. Then we would know what to expect from a new Arkham game, for example, but all we knew is that it was being made by the original development team... or so we were told. The people inside a company keeps changing, how can we know who really made it?

While I don't expect the AAA industry to adapt to this inevitable paradigm anytime soon, I believe we indies and hobbyists can and should write our names on our work.

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:06 PM »

I think Eendhoorn sounds/looks cute. I think it could be rad if you had someone say the name and ran it through a "compression" style vst (I like tb_timemachine) to get a low quality, old game-style soundclip

*digitized harp notes* "Eendhorn!" QUACK QUACK

But to be honest use whatever you like the most. If you make good games that get popular, it's not going to have anything to do with your company name. Might as well pick whatever you have the most stock in!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic