Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:14:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral"Boston Police Foil Massacre at Pokemon World Championship"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: "Boston Police Foil Massacre at Pokemon World Championship"  (Read 2581 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »

im shocked nobody on here is talking about this:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/23/boston-pokemon.html

some follow up here:

https://www.vice.com/read/what-we-know-about-the-two-men-arrested-for-bringing-guns-to-a-pokemon-tournament-824

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:41:53 AM »

im shocked nobody on here is talking about this

is there really anything to talk about? good job taking facebook threats seriously and foiling it before anything happened i guess...?
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »

idk, "games" has turned into this crazy cauldron of extremism in the past few years. this is another movement in the grey area between toxic internet culture and serious real life consequences. previously its been "limited to" harassment, swatting and bomb threats, and now literally showing up to conventions with assault rifles. what could possibly be next? its beyond horrifying, and its "our culture".

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »

ok first off, as you know i diss "gamer culture" and its toxic outgrowths all the time in the social justice thread and elsewhere, but:

mentally unstable people exist everywhere, gun nuts are a widespread phenomenon and mentally unstable gun nuts attempt massacres at large public events more often than you would think (we don't even know if these idiots actually attempted a massacre or were just being lolsoedgy).

there's nothing about this that suggests anything specifically related to "gamer culture"/gamergate/whatever else you're trying insinuate. there's no movement supporting these guys as far as i know. to be honest, it seems like kind of a non-event to me (thankfully!).

maybe i am really off base, idk. i had no idea the "pokemon world championship" was even a thing before this post lol.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »

not trying to insinuate anything other than that we've crossed that threshold where invited pokemon competitors have brought trunk-fulls of assault weaponry to pokemon conventions. this seems significant to me. as you mentioned, signs point to the "lolsoedgy" with these idiots, but i think you are reaching in saying that this is something that happens all the time. i live in literal guntopia, and have never heard of this happening at a sporting event or concert.

im talking about toxic internet culture not to suggest that this is related to gamergate (what?) or some movement, but that the general net lawless ingrained culture of "lolsoedgy" and imgur gun toughguy enables this sort of thing to happen for people who are so immersed in it as to be unable to see the boarders between it and the consequences of the real world. same as swatting and harassment. for them its just one step up from trash talking on twitch.

by all accounts these nerds dont have any mental illnesses and are not unstable. for them, making jokes about mass murder and bringing AR-15s and shotguns just seemed like a perfectly acceptable thing to do. and in context with growing up in their isolated pocket of the internet, it probably *is*. and thats what i find incredibly disturbing.

idk maybe its not a gamer problem, just an america problem. ill stop posting about it. shit is crazy tho

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »

ok i guess i see your point. also im not questioning that growing up in isolation on the chans and reddit will probably fuck you up in some way haha. but i guess i was a little bewildered that you see this particular event as a turning point. imo swatting (which already happens frequently) is much worse than this, and is also relatively widely defended as a "lulzy prank". maybe u could even make the point that some chan raids are worse than this.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:13:26 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »

Now I don't want to sound disappointed, but the specter of mass death would've made tomorrow's Playcrafting Boston demo night a little zestier

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »

Now I don't want to sound disappointed, but the specter of mass death would've made tomorrow's Playcrafting Boston demo night a little zestier

How can you even say such a thing ... WTF

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »

mentally unstable people exist everywhere

Careful, there. That sounds awfully close to the "mental illness" BS that gets trotted out as soon as white men commit terrorism.
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/18/its_not_about_mental_illness_the_big_lie_that_always_follows_mass_shootings_by_white_males/

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »

All I'll say is the title is misleading to people. They didn't foil a massacre, but removed one possibility for a potential massacre.

FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »

How can you even say such a thing ... WTF

Is it too early to joke about a tragedy that never happened? There's no real precedent for this so pardon me. Just my way of saying that the proximity and timing of this would've had a definite impact on me.

It was a blast too, so I'm glad nobody fucked it up. Highlight was when I got so excited playing Hard Lander that I fell off my stool backwards. BEST way to get eyes on your game

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 01:07:27 AM »

mentally unstable people exist everywhere

Careful, there. That sounds awfully close to the "mental illness" BS that gets trotted out as soon as white men commit terrorism.

how can you actually think like this?

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »

The valid and well founded link between mass killings and metal illness is there because 1. it's evident and 2. it directs people to think harder about diagnosing, treating and being more sensitive to people suffering from metal illness in the hope of preventing further tragedies.

Trying instead to accredit mass killings to misogyny only serves to heap more hate and hurt onto people the world already has no sympathy for.
How does discounting mental illness as a strong cause help anyone?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:28:13 AM »

whats country did it happen in?
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »

whats country did it happen in?

only in america, gun control wuut?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 01:55:04 AM »

only in america, gun control wuut?
http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-36131

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 02:25:32 AM »

The valid and well founded link between mass killings and metal illness is there because 1. it's evident and 2. it directs people to think harder about diagnosing, treating and being more sensitive to people suffering from metal illness in the hope of preventing further tragedies.

Trying instead to accredit mass killings to misogyny only serves to heap more hate and hurt onto people the world already has no sympathy for.
How does discounting mental illness as a strong cause help anyone?

agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second

(tho you should probably have read the article dacke linked)

otoh the way mental illness is usually talked about in relation to these mass shootings does nothing to  further understanding of mental illness
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:50:11 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 03:10:04 AM »

France just gave out medals for stopping a mass shooting last weekend (Ironically, had there not been Americans with military experience in the train it may not have been prevented).

Norway holds the record for the largest mass shooting, not the United States.

It's true that the USA has higher numbers of mass shooting, but Europe also has mass shootings. It's extremely disingenuous to claim it doesn't happen in other nations.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:30 AM »

i guess in the end i'm skeptical to what extent isolated exceptional crimes can really be reflective of a culture or if this sort of talk isn't just a result of the human brain's tendency to see patterns in everything. i would be reluctant to call these killings "terrorism" as well.

otoh it's difficult to really make a general statement because sometimes these people and crimes do end up gaining some wider significance (breivik "inspiring" the alt right, fringe survivalists quoting the unabomber, sandy hook conspiracy theories etc).

i am confuse
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic