Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:10:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral"Boston Police Foil Massacre at Pokemon World Championship"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: "Boston Police Foil Massacre at Pokemon World Championship"  (Read 2664 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 03:24:03 AM »

France just gave out medals for stopping a mass shooting last weekend (Ironically, had there not been Americans with military experience in the train it may not have been prevented).

Norway holds the record for the largest mass shooting, not the United States.

It's true that the USA has higher numbers of mass shooting, but Europe also has mass shootings. It's extremely disingenuous to claim it doesn't happen in other nations.
Norway, Sweden and Switzerland are not shown, but they must be somewhere above france

In Russia such accidents usually involve knifes and rubber bullet guns.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 04:05:35 AM »

Pet peeve: When people pull up those "guns per capita" stats in order to make a point about Sweden but neglect to mention that almost all of the firearms here are hunting rifles.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »

The valid and well founded link between mass killings and metal illness is there because 1. it's evident and 2. it directs people to think harder about diagnosing, treating and being more sensitive to people suffering from metal illness in the hope of preventing further tragedies.

Trying instead to accredit mass killings to misogyny only serves to heap more hate and hurt onto people the world already has no sympathy for.
How does discounting mental illness as a strong cause help anyone?

agree with the first paragraph, disagree with the second

(tho you should probably have read the article dacke linked)

otoh the way mental illness is usually talked about in relation to these mass shootings does nothing to  further understanding of mental illness

Yeah, that's exactly it, people will only talk about the connection to mental illness so far as it explains irrational actions but they make sure to stop well short of the part where they realize it's their own culture and attitudes that caused it.
As long as it means we don't need gun control or need to change our behavior in any way, they are happy to talk about mental illness in relation to mass killing

I did try to read that article, but where it says "We do have statistics showing that the vast majority of people who commit acts of violence do not have a diagnosis of mental illness" it links to a page which talks about how most people with a mental illness are not violent, which is not (and never was) the relevant question, the question was "do people who commit mass killings suffer from mental illness" and the answer there is almost always yes. When someone shows that kind of journalistic integrity I hope you can forgive me for not caring to read what else they might have to say

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »

Americans: HOW DO WE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, THERE SEEMS TO BE NO POSSIBLE SOLUTION AT ALL
Other countries: Well here's how everyone else has been doing it for decades and it's been working swell.
Americans: HOW DO WE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, THERE SEEMS TO BE NO POSSIBLE SOLUTION AT ALL

everything from shootings to banks to healthcare to policing to dollar coins

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 05:56:22 AM »

Pet peeve: When people pull up those "guns per capita" stats in order to make a point about Sweden but neglect to mention that almost all of the firearms here are hunting rifles.
Sweden has really low crime rate.
I guess there should make a chart for handgun ownership, i. e. gun specifically bought to waste fool if he wants your wallet.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 06:06:34 AM »

i think that people who do fucked up things like shoot at pokemon or blow up places and people etc are clinically bonkers, even if they are not white
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 06:09:02 AM »

like the ppl with young children and whatever who go "you know what, this islamic state business sounds like a great place to raise my family" - mentally fucked up to me, even though they're not white
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »

i dont think its normal to kill or desire to kill other people. just my perspective as the most enlightened and smartest man on earth.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »

We live in a time where children are raised by the value of entertainment, not content. When the mind is shallow it is prone to manipulative illusions. It has always been that way, only the type of manipulative illusions changes with the time.

In case some of you played Metal Gear Solid 4 and listened very carefully, it predicts the actual trends with remarkable accuracy.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 06:54:10 AM »

We live in a time where children are raised by the value of entertainment, not content. When the mind is shallow it is prone to manipulative illusions. It has always been that way, only the type of manipulative illusions changes with the time.

In case some of you played Metal Gear Solid 4 and listened very carefully, it predicts the actual trends with remarkable accuracy.
i love you so much
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 07:13:03 AM »

2nd amendment - mom says i can have toys that kill people

60th amendment - mom says im allowed to eat ice cream for dinner

69th amendment - i can play sega past my bed time
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »

Other countries: Well here's how everyone else has been doing it for decades and it's been working swell.

everything from shootings to banks to healthcare to policing to dollar coins

no you see, those solutions are SOSHULLISM

real talk tho, how have other countries "solved" mass shootings?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »

dunno about mass shootings, but gun violence overall, and with more restrictive gun policy

obv a liberal definition of solve here

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »

i would be reluctant to call these killings "terrorism" as well.

what's your distinction, would you say terrorism is an attack made to eradicate a particular way of thinking or group of people instead of just random violence like a pokemon shooting would have been?

i think that people who do fucked up things like shoot at pokemon or blow up places and people etc are clinically bonkers, even if they are not white

Talking about directed massacres here rather than totally random ones: I think being physically prone to impulsive behavior could contribute to throwing someone over the edge but I don't think it's the biggest piece of the puzzle. I think a big sense of entitlement and grooming a human to have a particular mindset are the biggest parts of the cause. Once a human becomes embroiled in a particular ideology, like an extremist branch of a religion or etcetera, they have already given up a significant degree of their own autonomy and reality just distorts more and more from there.

You see it happen en masse with anti-vaxxers, they feel like they've uncovered something huge and now they're james bond undercover, ready to turn a blind eye to a mountain of evidence against them (surely the work of "the man") in exchange for something that they take to be a modicum of affirmative evidence for their cause. Plenty of the people I've seen bought way too much into stupid movements don't have any mental illnesses.

As long as we have freedom of speech and religion, people without enough of a purpose or direction are always going to let movements devour way too much of their lives like this, and I think this sort of thing is what allows people to slip into weird views of the world where they think terrorist actions are acceptable and just. Being young and full of testosterone probably contributes a bit too.

Gun control would be a way of hopefully at least curbing peoples' access to doing this, but yeah I don't think it's something that would ever be "solved" entirely; though that's not to say working towards that direction is useless.

yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »

As long as we have freedom of speech and religion, people without enough of a purpose or direction are always going to let movements devour way too much of their lives like this, and I think this sort of thing is what allows people to slip into weird views of the world where they think terrorist actions are acceptable and just. Being young and full of testosterone probably contributes a bit too.

I blame the recursive internet paradox of total human isolation and insane virtual communities. Total affirmation of your batshit ideas in a vacuum, plus a complete lack of contact with real people who might actually care about you. One feeds the other until a gasket blows.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 11:08:35 AM »

what's your distinction, would you say terrorism is an attack made to eradicate a particular way of thinking or group of people instead of just random violence like a pokemon shooting would have been?

yeh terrorism is an explicitly political act.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »

France just gave out medals for stopping a mass shooting last weekend (Ironically, had there not been Americans with military experience in the train it may not have been prevented).

Norway holds the record for the largest mass shooting, not the United States.

It's true that the USA has higher numbers of mass shooting, but Europe also has mass shootings. It's extremely disingenuous to claim it doesn't happen in other nations.

I'm not going to object and just give further data: they were 3 americans, the one who jumped to stop the gunner had no actual military training unlike the two other, there was a british guy too, but he was conveniently left out of narrative for some reason, you have to dif data to learn he was there. The gunner had no training and wasn't hard to stop either.

If you refer to the Breivik massacre, it's the largest shooting precisely because it's a safe place, it's like putting a fox in a close chicken farm. It's also uncommon

However I understand your sentiment, USA is crucify so much and most people don't realize it's as big if not bigger than western europe, it is as much a collection of state with different culture and values.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

This is a lot better if you parse "foil" as "aluminum foil."

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »

I blame the recursive internet paradox of total human isolation and insane virtual communities. Total affirmation of your batshit ideas in a vacuum, plus a complete lack of contact with real people who might actually care about you. One feeds the other until a gasket blows.

We're living in a bold new age in which social interaction, fact checking, and accountability for one's own actions is considered optional.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »

i too long for the good ole days when we had 2 world wars in a row
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic