Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:32:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLooking for Extra Devs to help. Where do I start?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for Extra Devs to help. Where do I start?  (Read 1556 times)
poprox
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »

For past 2 months me and my friends have begun development on a new mobile game. While most of us are programers, we are not game programers. Is there anyone on this forum that will like to help us. Feel free to ask me anything.
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:11:44 AM »

If you want help in the form of advice, guides, where to start...etc, you'll get it. If you want others to actually help you make the game, I'm afraid you won't get any takers.

If it's the former, what kind of advice are you looking for?

Halogen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »

What exactly do you need help with? Do you guys not know the right language between yourselves, do you need advice on what to start with, do you have questions on where to take your game, or is it something else? Without much info, nobody can really give you help or point you in the right direction. What were you in need of?
Blam
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:00:23 PM »

I have trouble getting started myself, though I find looking up tutorials for similar games to be a good starting point. Especially the "Make a complete game" ones, they're good at getting into the right mindset. Regular programming isn't that different from games when you know how to look at it. A lot of strategy games for instance are just spreadsheets with a complicated GUI when you get down to it.
Actually, a good way to start might be to open a document or a spreadsheet and write down all the things you want in your game and then work out what variables each of those will need next to them. Getting down what you can to start with can help you figure out the direction to take, because that way you kind of reverse engineer it from the idea backwards into what code will be needed in order to use the variables.
Hope that helps Smiley
sanctuary6284
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:18:49 AM »

I'm just starting out myself. What I am doing is first writing out all my idea and then narrowing that down to the core ones. Then on paper I put together a rough idea (algorithm) for how I thought they should work. My next step is to prototype these parts to make sure my ideas work in a game environment. After that....well we'll see.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »

Exact answers might also depend on your tools. If you're using something like Unity a lot of stuff has already been done for you and may require less detailed explanations since you won't be touching it as directly, if at all (entities/components, game loop, camera...).

moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 01:42:52 AM »

If you have some sort of interesting concept, others might want to help, but you didn't even describe what the game is about so...do I want to take on random programming projects with no context or explanation lead by a bunch of a noobs? No.

What is it you're trying to do? If you start there, maybe.

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »

A pretty good start for learning game programming patterns is http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/introduction.html it's free to read and covers a lot of ideas independent of language.

eh
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »

A pretty good start for learning game programming patterns is http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/introduction.html it's free to read and covers a lot of ideas independent of language.
Bookmarking this!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic