Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:07:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCatharsis: Things that irk you
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Catharsis: Things that irk you  (Read 1400 times)
JK
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »

I'm generally not a negative person but I've stumbled across several inexplicable situations that have left me utterly bewildered. Catharsis thread ensues

my list in no particular order:

1- when literally half of the questions I answer on an exam were not explained anywhere in the actual text/course (lol what) seriously, if I'm going to have to use google foo anyway why bother with a course in the first place?
2- when people travel below the posted speed limit in the left lane for no reason.
3- trolling
4- when I spend several hours working on something only to receive the following feedback "oh...that's all?"
5- when people assume that "making games" somehow equates to "playing games" and don't understand why it is exhaustive
6- when I have a lot of free time but can never really spend it doing the things that I enjoy most

i feel much better now.

what irks you?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »

This is going to seem brutal to some of you, but...

- My mother's voice

Seriously, I am at a point where even her tone of voice irritates me, and whenever she asks me to do anything it gets me in a horrible mood.

Actually, now that I think about it, most things that irk me are related to my parents in some way. Weird...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »

youll grow up to like it and regret everything youre done in your life
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »

Well that's a comforting thought. Either I feel frustrated and annoyed, or I feel sad and regretful. Why are so many families dysfunctional these days? Or is it just me?

JK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »

Well that's a comforting thought. Either I feel frustrated and annoyed, or I feel sad and regretful. Why are so many families dysfunctional these days? Or is it just me?

Trust me, it's not just you. Different families are dysfunctional in different ways.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »

the idea of lectures and lessons isnt to prepare you to perfectly answer everything in the subsequent exam, it is to give you a knowledge base on which to build and allow you to ask your own questions in order to expand your knowledge at a pace and in directions of your own choosing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »

the idea of lectures and lessons isnt to prepare you to perfectly answer everything in the subsequent exam, it is to give you a knowledge base on which to build and allow you to ask your own questions in order to expand your knowledge at a pace and in directions of your own choosing.

hahaha yeah right
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »

[...]at a pace and in directions of your own choosing.

Then why is there an exam?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »

if you have a suggestion for a way to more efficiently mass gauge knowledge and incite study I'm sure lots of people would be interested

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:05 PM »

acquire database of every tangent students go on while studying a topic. Allow students to explore said tangents. Make them write short texts on the ones they discover. Evaluate note based on what information about the topic is present and absent from those mini essays. Students get bonus points for exploring new tangents and finding new information, which is subsequently absorbed into the database as well. Rince and repeat.

JK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »

why test on material that you never taught though? take a look at this imaginary example off the top of my head:

"Textbook - Chapter 1 - Lesson About Guitars"
The guitar is arguably the most popular instrument in the world. Many players use a pick to pluck the strings. Songs are composed when a musician plays individual notes and chords that belong to various scales. Although Standard tuning is the most common, various tunings do exist. ETCETERA (but nothing more on tuning whatsoever).

"Chapter 1 Assessment - Test"

1) Which of the following denotes Drop D tuning?
1. DADGCE
2. DADGBE
3. None of the Above

2) What is the name of the item that guitarists use to pluck strings?
1. Pick
2. Chord
3. Headstock

the second question is ok, but the first is just unreasonable if you ask me. I have no problem with testing, but it is not ok to blindside students on a graded test with info that you never even taught.
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 07:24:43 PM »

• Being asked a favor. I'm a super selfish person and any imposition from family immediately puts me in a bad mood. I spent the last three hours working myself up into a drawing mood, and you want me to run out and buy you cigarettes the minute I start?!
  • Biting the inside of my mouth while eating. I've got a crater and a swollen lymph node on my left cheek right now. Why does human physiology even allow for this? If a carnivore could do this they'd DIE

That's it really, I'm a pretty chill guy

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 11:23:49 PM »

if you have a suggestion for a way to more efficiently mass gauge knowledge and incite study I'm sure lots of people would be interested

tests do literally nothing to incite actual learning tho. but im not sure if theres a real way to "force" people to learn beyond simple memorization of facts.

otoh, i had a history test in uni once where we were presented with a bunch of statements and had to find arguments for and against them (e.g. "monarchies were the most successful form of government during the middle ages"). i thought that was pretty neat. but in the end you could still probably get a good grade by just memorizing everything in the course.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:57 AM »

[...]at a pace and in directions of your own choosing.

Then why is there an exam?
to test what you know about the subject
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 04:45:00 AM »

why test on material that you never taught though?

because unless youre a child learning mathematics there is simply not enough teaching time to cover an expansive subject and you are expected to study on your own. or you could post a thread on a computer web site complaining about it and fail like 50% of the people on my degree did. thats what life is about, options, choices, the shitty egg thing in the sushi box.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 08:39:05 AM »

If you expect students to study on their own, AT LEAST TELL THEM THAT MUCH. I think that's the main point here.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »

it depends at what level you study
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 09:07:38 AM »

i have very rarely had to study anything on my own either in school or uni. 99% of tests i had were about memorizing facts.

but then my country's education system is shit so its probably diff elsewhere
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »

i have very rarely had to study anything on my own either in school or uni. 99% of tests i had were about memorizing facts.

Same here.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:32 AM »

what did you study
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic