Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:43:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)[Pretty much answered] Perceived motion blur because of speed?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Pretty much answered] Perceived motion blur because of speed?  (Read 660 times)
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »

Hey y'all!

I recently posted about my Ludum Dare 33 entry, Steal Alive (sorry, I don't mean to shamelessly plug my game here :/).
But I have a problem I can't figure out: the game feels blurry.

There's no actual blur in the rendering (screenshots were made while playing, without stopping the game; you can try it yourself, no blur :/) or in the code, but visually it looks blurry. I think it has to do with the sprites preciseness and the speed of the entities, but I can't find documentation on how to fix this problem.

So my question is, what could cause this and how could I fix it? It really makes the game feel dizzy or at least a bit uncomfortable.
Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:38:03 AM by Pampattitude » Logged
nickgravelyn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »

Pixels on displays take time to transition between colors. Depending on your display that can cause blurriness or motion blur as you describe.

For what it's worth, I tried the game and it didn't seem blurry to me at all.
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »

Damn, you're the first person who didn't experience that (or, at least, that told me). What kind of monitor do you use, if it's not too intrusive?
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »

Well, based on your screenshot, you've got the same image in foreground and background and you've scaled it up for the foreground. This makes it a little blurry. You ideally want to display raster images unscaled and unrotated so that each pixel in the image becomes exactly one pixel on the screen - when you move away from that, it's better to shrink images than expand them.

Your case is particularly bad as you seem to have a mix - some images are quite sharp, which makes the rest stand out.
Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:37:12 AM »

@BorisTheBrave, I did not mean it in terms of general blur. I mean, even on a low resolution where the sprites are downscaled, the motion blur effect is still present.

I know scaling is a problem though, 72 hours wasn't enough to work on that Tongue
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:58:21 AM »

I don't see any motion blur. Everything looks crisp. What does the blur you see look like? I made a photoshop mockup. Does it look like this (afterimages)?

Pampattitude
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 01:45:30 AM »

I have no idea how to show you, but it looks smudged. You can't perceive details (such as armor borders on soldiers, or colored outlines on entities). It doesn't look like afterimages to me or my fiancee.

Nice mockup BTW!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic