Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:22:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain  (Read 28897 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 05:37:45 AM »

so deus ex? Well, hello there!

also more interaction outside the "goal area", instead of just having increase interaction density toward the goal zone (base) you have "lead in" interaction to the zone (like patrol car or supply, etc ...) which serve as further interface with the goal zone to influence its parameter (visibility alertness, etc ...) + a bunch of tools (horse, ally, weapon, gadget, etc ...) to deal with those parameter that interplays with yours (mobility, stealth, etc ...)

It's better than deus ex Cool come at me bro

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 06:06:34 AM »

Metal Gear has always been superior to what Ubisoft tried with Splinter Cell etc., MGS is more driven by "mechanical A.I." which allows you to plan and exploit the situation to your liking. Splinter Cell has taken more cheap shots to its A.I. design. It is a less complete and less consistent mechanical system, for example a dead corpse can trigger an alarm without being discovered.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2015, 06:34:37 AM »

It's because the root the mechanical in the narrative mostly, they literally build mechanics to highlight things like character, personality, theme, etc ... it come out as richer because it open new relation.

Ubi soft have a very mechanical approach to game, they have spreadsheet to fill and a heavy emphasis on metric base rational game design. You must explain the mechanics in a doc before implementing it to the best detail you can. The example you said dead corpse that drive alarm is a very abstract mechanic.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »

I feel like I would probably be unable to "appreciate" this title because I don't know anything about the other Metal Gear Solid games so any references to the earlier parts of the series would fly over my head.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »

Don't worry it's mechanically "solid" and it stand on its own

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »

Is there even a chance that previous MGS titles will be available on PC? I usually try to play games in the "right order" but in this case that doesn't seem to be possible without resorting to less than legal methods (or purchasing various consoles which I really don't want to do).

But it's good to hear that I don't need to know about old stuff to enjoy it at least, I might pick this up later this year after watching some videos of the gameplay.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »

Depend on what "order" chronologically, it's the third and last prequel before the "first series" (mg 1 and 2 on msx)  then mgS 1 and 2 on ps then 4 on ps3

mgs3 on ps2 and peace walker on psp are the only preceding game in that timeline ordered sequence.

So up to 4 you can access them through emulation (shhh that's forbidden FucKonami would not like it) 4 being the last chronologically.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »

Is there even a chance that previous MGS titles will be available on PC? I usually try to play games in the "right order" but in this case that doesn't seem to be possible without resorting to less than legal methods (or purchasing various consoles which I really don't want to do).

But it's good to hear that I don't need to know about old stuff to enjoy it at least, I might pick this up later this year after watching some videos of the gameplay.

there's a pc port of mgs2 but it's old and, well, it's a typical japanese console port. no idea if it'll run on modern hardware.

yeah you're probably better off using an emulator. but who knows, if mgs5 sells really well on pc (and if enough people buy pachinkonami fun bucks *snicker*), maybe the mgs hd collection will see a pc release.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »

I remember having to buy a double layer dvd so i could burn mgs2

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »

I feel like I would probably be unable to "appreciate" this title because I don't know anything about the other Metal Gear Solid games so any references to the earlier parts of the series would fly over my head.

i don't have a super good grasp on the mgs timeline either (i never finished peace walker and don't remember the details from a lot of the other gams) and i'm having no problem understanding the story. a few names will maybe fly over your head and some plot twists will be either more or less surprising to you (remember this is a prequel). but it's not like, e.g. the yakuza games where you have to watch a 90 min cutscene movie to even be able to tell what's going on.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »

The example you said dead corpse that drive alarm is a very abstract mechanic.
Don't sugarcoat flawed design.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »

I didn't sugarcoat it, that's the kind of thing you do with abstract design, they are divorced from theme, I'm sure they did it like other game, the dead corpse has a visibility probability radius that grow over time to emulate a fake awareness system and force the player to deal with the problem, as long you remove theme it makes all the senses of the world ... for a designer who think with math and mechanics.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »

That "fake awareness" is nothing but a hack, exactly from an abstract standpoint. I have actually played the first iterations of Splinter Cell, the games were a broken mess, regardless how you look at them.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »

I didn't defend the game, but pointing that theme informed mechanics, in this case it didn't really. Remember when you were defending it?

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »

You did "defend" it subconsciously by assuming something the game is really not. I don't think you have played the Splinter Cell games so your assumptions don't really meet the reality.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

remember the banter about the 650gb drive that is already full, best moment in splinter cell 3

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 02:12:06 PM »

anyway, this game has a good soundtrack, but why is the mixing on the original songs so bad? u can barely make out the vocals on some of them.

"behind the drapery" is a really nice 80s goth pastiche haha. i wonder if they tried to get "dominion/mother russia" by sisters of mercy on the soundtrack (seeing as it fits v well thematically) but couldn't secure the rights, so made this instead.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »

btw am i the only one who found the prologue extremely offputting? seemed so tryhard edgy to me, like those CoD "shock value" levels. esp seeing as the rest of the game (SO FAR) isn't like that at all.

also lol i rescued a cute puppy. this really IS a japanese game
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »

How is the try hard that different from other mgs? cute puppy? do you don't know ... yet?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »

How is the try hard that different from other mgs?

seems more gratuitously violent than other games in the series (from what i remember). btw by prologue i don't mean ground zeroes (tho the surgery scene in that was p disgusting), i mean the hospital sequence.

cute puppy? do you don't know ... yet?

don't spoil me. i deliberately went into this game almost completely blind. only watched a minimum of preview material and didnt really follow the hype.

speaking of hype, the face capture is definitely the most overhyped aspect of this gam. it doesn't look that great for the most part and because of the whole "character-models-look-like-actors" thing, ocelot looks like troy baker in a grey wig and a trenchcoat. :/ if only lee van cleef was still alive.

also why is troy baker in every single game
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:41:39 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic