Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:57:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Cold Vengeance - 90s Style 3D Run 'n' Gun [OUT NOW!]  (Read 30075 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »

Cold Vengeance is Now Available! Steam Page

Humble Store

Cold Vengeance is a 3d Run 'n' Gun game.  It's a sequel to Venusian Vengeance (Available on Steam).

UPDATE: Early Alpha Demo (Note: This demo is really out of date, and a lot of things have changed mechanically since then)

Plot

In the year 200X, the National Hell party took rose to power in the Great White North. Their leader, Arnold Camp, declared himself Supreme Minister. He disbanded the mounties, and put the country under military control. Four months later, we lost contact with Alaska. Rumors spread that National Hell had made an under-the-table alliance with the mysterious Ninja Empire.

The president traveled north personally to negotiate with The Supreme Minister. However, he was detained in Canada, while National Hell launched a nuclear onslaught on all major America cities. Canadian soldiers, members of the Ninja Empire, and an army of robots led by the Four Heads of the Canadian Military began swarming over the border to clean up the scraps.

Jon Dagger, hero of the Venus Incident, has been called out of retirement. Along with deceased soviet scientist who uploaded his consciousness into Dagger’s brain, he will have to fight through the ruins of America to the Great White North in order to defeat Supreme Minister Camp. On the way, he will fight enemy soldiers, giant robots, ninjas, post-apocalyptic barbarians, and mind-controlled gorillas.
 Cool

Gameplay

My goal is to make something somewhere in between a third-person shooter and a Sin and Punishment style rail-shooter.  Levels will also have secrets and alternate paths to find.

There is also a powerup system influenced by SHMUPs (with a little Gunstar Heroes thrown in).  You can hold two powerup types at once, and they each can be leveled up by grabbing more powerups of the same type.

Visuals

I'm going for a colorful low-poly aesthetic.  Something reminiscent of the Nintendo 64/PS1 generation.  

The game's concept art is being created by my good friend Ben Evans.

Trailer:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:20:33 AM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »

8/30/15

Created a model for the barbarian enemy.  These enemies rush the player and attack close range with their axe.

Also working on planning out the levels.  As with Venusian Vengeance, I start out on paper, giving each level a rough outline.  Which enemies get introduced when, what sort of environments I want to put together, what sort of encounters I want the player to have, ect...

The current plan is to have 4-5 zones each split into 4 levels + a boss.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »

Also, created a new death effect for enemies:

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »

The game looks good! Is the quadrocopter hiding behind the cacus on purpose?

I like the low poly style but i'm not a big fan of the low res pixel textures.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »

Thanks.   Coffee

Nah, it moves more-or-less randomly.

I want to stick with the low-res sprite textures, but I'll still be tweaking them to get the look I want.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:43:20 AM »

8/31/15

One of the biggest adjustments of working in 3D has been changing my level design workflow.  There are a lot of different considerations since I'm no longer working with tilemaps.  I've got the options of modeling the levels, modeling parts and building the levels out of those parts, placing objects inside the levels, and some mix of the above.

I'm currently working on blocking out a mid-game level.  I started by writing an outline on paper, including what enemies would be introduced in the level, what sort of challenges the player would be facing in what sort of environments, and so on.  Now I'm modeling the basic layout of the level in blender.  This will give me a starting point for modeling in more detail and adding objects like rocks and cacti.

One reason I picked this level to block out (this is the second level I've blocked out so far, the first being the first level of the game), is because it is a good exemplar of the verticality that will be in the game, so I wanted to get used to designing levels with multiple layers. 

Ben K Evans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »

Hey, the aforementioned Ben K Evans here. As Alec said, I'm doing the concept art for this game, mostly in the form of character model sheets.

Here's our hero, the American Super-Soldier Jon Dagger, and a few of the "mechanical" enemies. More to come!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »

9/1/15

Spent today blocking out the second level. 

Now I'm working on that robot turtle enemy from that concept art Ben posted.  Basically, it can retract its legs and gun, during which time it becomes invulnerable, then they will come back out for it to move and shoot.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »

9/2/15

As I mentioned earlier, for the level design, I'm using a mix of building the level in Blender, and modeling objects which I can place in Unity.  For the city ruins level, I decided to take a modular approach and build walls in Blender that I can then fit together in Unity.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »

Gun Turtle

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »

Verticality

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »

Working on the forest environment

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »

The forest area in action:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »

Robot Spider

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

#ScreenshotSaturday

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »

Some more enemy models:

A flame-thrower robot:

And a character who creates swarms of robot bees to attack the player

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 05:11:16 AM »

Looks good! Did you happen to see Fade to Black before? It really resonates in here.

I love it, I love it, I love it.

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 06:50:33 AM »

I haven't... oh, hey, Tim Thomerson is in it.  Awesome.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:44 AM »

cool!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »

Thanks!

9/15/15

Spent the first part of the day getting the behavior for the Bees and Beekeepers to work (sans animation, currently).  I always love making enemies that loop around in the air like the ships from Galaga, but it was a learning experience getting that to work in 3D, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

Aside from that, I've been jumping between tweaking enemies and working on enemy placement in levels.  The two have been, fairly naturally, going hand in hand, as I start to get the feel for what it's like to fight different enemies in different environments and in different combinations.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic