Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:48:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStar and light 2.0 Testing (early build)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Star and light 2.0 Testing (early build)  (Read 757 times)
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:48:28 AM »

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/31971

Click on this and try the game

Arrows to move , ZQSD also and space bar toshoot or A

I want other to try to see if the game runs well or it's me  ,; please

I have no idea where to post this , hope this is the right thread.

edit
a new version here
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/31972

Game is 9 mb and of course it's an early build , but i want to know if the game have good FPS or it's slideshow bad lagging type
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:19:45 AM by airman4 » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »

-I'd recommend putting some more walls/ground near the beginning. When I first started running around, I thought maybe there wasn't a level yet. It takes too long to get to anything.

-Having the character change into a white ball/star when falling makes her harder to see.

-I really dislike the rate of deceleration for the character. Changing directions when running just makes her slide all over the place, and it's worse when trying to line up for a safe landing.

-The camera really needs to keep up with--or even move in front of--the player. I can't see where I'm going when running fast.

-The fireballs are really laggy and don't even look like they come from the character most of the time.

-Hitting the side of a special platform doesn't activate it. Why not? The bottom works.

-I have no idea why a single platform turned red as I was leaving a room. Other times, platforms turned blue again for no apparent reason.

-It would be nice if I could reset a room when I mess up a jump and know I can no longer beat it. It's annoying to have to purposely die in that sort of situation.

-The Help feature sometimes draws hints that are misaligned with the platforms.

-The collision box for the player is a lot bigger than the actual sprite, so I keep getting kill without actually touching anything.

-I like that completed rooms are saved, but why do I have to run all the way through them again? EDIT: The checkpoint statues really don't look like what they are. I thought they were either backgrounds or dangers that I shouldn't get close to, so I kept avoiding them. Maybe you should make an unavoidable one early on so players know what they are.

-The death count failed to go up once I started using checkpoints.

-The game gets choppy and unplayable once I start running at full-speed.

Personally, I think the puzzles seem decent but it's just not my type of game. I got sick of doing the same type of thing over and over again, so I stopped. On the technical side, I think the biggest issues are the camera and the choppiness. I stopped at the first level with two silver bombs/apples (No idea what they're meant to be).

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »

-I'd recommend putting some more walls/ground near the beginning. When I first started running around, I thought maybe there wasn't a level yet. It takes too long to get to anything.

-Having the character change into a white ball/star when falling makes her harder to see.

-I really dislike the rate of deceleration for the character. Changing directions when running just makes her slide all over the place, and it's worse when trying to line up for a safe landing.

-The camera really needs to keep up with--or even move in front of--the player. I can't see where I'm going when running fast.

-The fireballs are really laggy and don't even look like they come from the character most of the time.

-Hitting the side of a special platform doesn't activate it. Why not? The bottom works.

-I have no idea why a single platform turned red as I was leaving a room. Other times, platforms turned blue again for no apparent reason.

-It would be nice if I could reset a room when I mess up a jump and know I can no longer beat it. It's annoying to have to purposely die in that sort of situation.

-The collision box for the player is a lot bigger than the actual sprite, so I keep getting kill without actually touching anything.

-I like that completed rooms are saved, but why do I have to run all the way through them again? EDIT: The checkpoint statues really don't look like what they are. I thought they were either backgrounds or dangers that I shouldn't get close to, so I kept avoiding them. Maybe you should make an unavoidable one early on so players know what they are.

Personally, I think the puzzles seem decent but it's just not my type of game. I got sick of doing the same type of thing over and over again, so I stopped. On the technical side, I think the biggest issues are the camera and the choppiness. I stopped at the first level with two silver bombs/apples (No idea what they're meant to be).

Hi
wow
I just asked for running around because yep , the game is very empty and need real work
But i have problem with my flash laptop and wanted to know if it was me or other people as well

Thanks anyway for the feedback on the whole "game"

I'll try to answer to you

Yeah of course , placeholder as hell , i didnt put any stuff there , sorry .
I'll work that when the gameplay will be done

Weird , i dont have that problem , any case , this character is a placeholder too XD , the new heroine is not designed yet

It's weird , i dont think it's a bad thing ? the slide is minimal
Try little pushes instead always pressing , try dashing type gameplay

I like that kind of camera because it works well when you do the gameplay puzzles , unfortunetly the framework doesnt have dynamic camera moves , i'm sorry. Facepalm
Be careful , dont running always , there will be traps. Evil

One side fireball is not well done , i'm working on it, thanks very much for this.

Because it  will be a mess for casual players , vertical platforms have also some sides wich doesnt light up (up and down sides ^^)
Also you can use that side to slide down and escape a tricky situation

No , no like i said , the game is far from being finished on the presentation side
This development , i left it a while ago
In the end of the game , platforms will turn in some colors and depending of the colors , if you touch them , you loose a life point
Sometimes you will return back in the temple !

I dunno , that could be way too easy ?
I'm noting this command , see if i can do something like that

yzep i know , that happened because i left that part undevelopped and i changed many times the platforms puzzle design and since i always changed , i let it go , i'll develop it back when i'll have all the puzzles done and final

You know , that's what i said earlier , the heroine is a placeholder and even the hitbox are basic one
That great , cause when i'll fix that , it will be better
Thanks very much , i note that Smiley

Hahahah , i'm sorry ! XD
It was a placeholder again and i need fast a drawing , (still their eyes are green when you turn them on XD ) so i drew some shit very fast , yes they are saves , they save also what you did if every thing works well.
For example one boss can be beaten at any place in the Temple and when you beat it , if you validate that action , if you die , you'll go back and see the corpse of the boss exactly where you beat it !!!!

humm , weird , i'll look into it
Thanks !

One another player told me that , i did a bad thing with some assets (the black blocks)
I'm working with them and it's already way better !! (i'm happy )

That make me sad.
Please ,  What kind of action can make you interested in the game ?

You stopped here ?

I told the tester , this part is tricky

For the collectibles , i coded them , it's for unlocking the real ending of the game or unlocking the new game+ (i'm still thinking their utility)

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:19:55 PM »

I realize that it's not even close to being done, but I think it's pretty important to get movement, collisions and camera work feeling good before focusing on other things.

Anyway, yes, that is where I stopped. I don't know what could make me enjoy the game more. I may enjoy it if the movement, camera and lagginess were improved. It might also help to make some platforms harder to reach. The arrangements might be different, but every "puzzle" I encountered was solved the same way: jump from one to the other.

How about more varied gameplay? For example, maybe the fireballs could be used to activate switches that move platforms into range or something. Maybe some platforms could move on their own and require timing. Maybe some platforms start a different color and need to be touched twice, which could change how players have to approach situations.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »

I realize that it's not even close to being done, but I think it's pretty important to get movement, collisions and camera work feeling good before focusing on other things.

Anyway, yes, that is where I stopped. I don't know what could make me enjoy the game more. I may enjoy it if the movement, camera and lagginess were improved. It might also help to make some platforms harder to reach. The arrangements might be different, but every "puzzle" I encountered was solved the same way: jump from one to the other.

How about more varied gameplay? For example, maybe the fireballs could be used to activate switches that move platforms into range or something. Maybe some platforms could move on their own and require timing. Maybe some platforms start a different color and need to be touched twice, which could change how players have to approach situations.

I'm working on the game , working on the hitboxes
I dont think having the time of proposing two type of camera but i noted that for the game , so people will have more options

The lagginess is why i created the thread and looked for a tester
I tested a new version and it's work better , i'm still working on it

Thanks very much for the suggestions
If you pursue the game on that version you got , you'll see a variation , but you have a *spoiler*Giant to beat

Moving platforms , i tested , it was weird , i hold back but i wont give up

For platforms to light twice , yes , there is also other ideas to come

The game is divided into 5 type of gameplay puzzles
each one having like 8/10 rooms

Maybe it's too much i dunno
I'll try to add variation anyway and all to make it exciting
I plan to add some enigmas and different puzzle to resolve too
There will be some ennemies too (but few )

thanks.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 07:10:20 AM »

I made some adjustements
Normally the lag is fixed or better
Of course , many thing to be fixed but it should be better

In my place anyway

I even added placeholder for the background

Probaly the final game would be more laggy i dunno , the world is quite  bigwith only two different loadings (when you die and the opening of the game)

I still didnt looked into the death counter problem

The Build (first seconds , are for the intro etc , you can't play until the character appears )
Online ver
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/31987

Offline ver (swf file , compressed with RAR ,  9 mb around)

http://www.deviantart.com/download/557616769/snl_2_test_by_k_hermann-d97znup.rar?token=6742a74e2ee640b1b700ef11ca3e8564e37dc7e8&ts=1441120705

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic