Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:40:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio[WINNER ANNOUNCED] XLII TIGSource music challenge: Ready to Ride!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [WINNER ANNOUNCED] XLII TIGSource music challenge: Ready to Ride!  (Read 1105 times)
hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »

ok gang, if this is in any way wrong or inappropriate, I'll whip up another topic. It's in no way meant to be free advertising for my game, but a creative challenge that is based on working on something concrete but with technical limitations. Here is the deal:

I am currently involved in a team doing a kickstarter for "Saber Rider and The Star Sheriffes" - this is a video game adaptation of a classic 80's tv series. The music for american television was made by Dale Schacker.

The challenge is: remix one of Dave's tunes of the series so it fits into a 16-bit arcade game - using technical restrictions as follows:

The game's soundtrack will be based on that music, but actually by a demake. The idea: Make it sound like a mashup between 4-channel Amiga and SNES sound. That means the following rules apply:

1) in case you use samples, use 8-bit sampling
2) if you use synths, must be monophonic synth (filters allowed)
3) no more than four channels playing at the same time (chords not included, you may use chords)
4) if needed for stylistic reasons, you make take some exceptions from rule 3.
5) Effects are allowed, go wild with effects like delay, saturation, bitcrush etc. (there are free bitcrushers available, look for example at http://tal-software.com/Products
6) no restrictions in terms of remixing, rearranging, etc.

as inspiration, please look at the kickstarter page and scroll down to "Here are a few examples from Dale Schacker's original soundtrack:". Be inspired by the awesome 80's feel and do use chrod progression and melodies as you see fit. Sampling is also allowed (see rule )

The winner gets
a) to host the next challenge (duh)
b) (and this is purely voluntary) to cooperate with lil'me on one of the tunes in the soundtrack, probably based on your submission. You will be mentioned in the credits. You will be on the game's soundtrack as a "music challenge winner". You will NOT get shares of the game's sales.

I've done a similar challenge before on one of my projects (Legends of Aethereus dubstep remix contest on soundcloud) and it was great fun with many interesting submissions.

Blast away and post in this thread if you have any questions or concerns.

Final submissions: Friday sep 11th. Voting open 12th-17th. Winners announced on the 18th.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:19:27 AM by hawkei » Logged

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »

This sounds pretty cool.  I'm looking forward to it!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:22:55 PM »

Hahaha, nice. I'm looking forward to the results! This is definitely outside the bounds of what I commonly do, so let's see now...

Manta
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »

Haha, I had forgotten this!
Does a drum machine count as one channel? Or would it be like kick 1 channel, hh 1 channel, etc...?
Best
hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:13:49 AM »

Try to use it as you would in a tracker, that means you may not combine for example hh+snare at the same time. If you wanna go full retro, try even having the bass sounds on the drum track as well (as on the C64) - it sounds absolutely mental.
But as I said, if for stylistic reasons you need to make an exeption, do so =), no entries will be disqualified!

hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »

please remember that the deadline is on friday, so let's work them bits!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:59:15 PM »

Ergh, I'm not going to make it. Best of luck to the others!

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »

I hope others manage to squeeze in !

https://soundcloud.com/aamptrack/aprilr

It is tough working in the 4 channel limitation, but I had fun!

hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 03:03:34 AM »

thank you all for participating. I'm hoping for more entries. I'll be closing entries tonight, 9p.m. +2GMT (Stockholm, Berlin Timezone)

hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 02:59:23 AM »

entries closed. comments following.

hawkei
Level 0

Roland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »

This contest was a very challenging one, and I think the little time available made it hard for many to attend. However. Aamp not only put up a fight, he friggin owned it. I cannot - underscore cannot - emphasize enough how you in short term nailed exactly the kind of musical language I imagined for this game and then some. It is instand amiga feel, demo scene, pounding awesomeness.

This is great material to work with and I do not at all feel embarrased to announce Aamp as the winner of this challenge. Neither should you, Aamp, in your modesty feel like you did not earn this. You bloddy well did! *highfives*

Now, given we get enough founding, we will definetly work on this tune further to make it a part of the soundtrack.

Only critique being two things: I would like to see more variation in rhythm and more use of the bass register, perhaps with some sidechaining. But the rawness, the instand 90s-computer-game-feel, it's all there. Loving it.

Okay Aamp, looking forward to you hosting the next challenge.

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »

This has been a really nice opportunity and I'd be more than honoured to work with the team on developing this! Thank you, hawkei for your kindness, time, and cool challenge! Thank you to all too who listened! Smiley

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 09:29:30 PM »

Nicely done Aamp! Grin

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »

Thank you, Barendhoff! I'm going to get some ideas together and hopefully post a new challenge at the end of this week. Pretty excited!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic