Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:18:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Need some RPG Maker VX Ace help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need some RPG Maker VX Ace help  (Read 771 times)
Eginor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »

Hey,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, and sorry for the vague title. It would probably be too long if I were to include all of the questions.

Is there a way to change the image of something after using it? Such as activating a closed box and it becoming an open box.

Also is there a way to activate an object and then have the player carry it visibly and then set it down anywhere?

Finally move an object not related to the object you activated?

I don't mind if it can only be done with scripting, I'm willing to learn. But the basic eventing system would probably be best. I've never made a game before and I have a pretty simple idea that I can finish.

Thanks for any help!
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »

Hey there!

The official RPG Maker boards might be an easier place to get help (in general this place focuses on other programs and making games from scratch rather than RPG Maker), but I can give some pointers that should get you on the right track:

1. For changing an image you'll want to use a switch. To see a treasure chest event all set up with an example of switch usage, you can right click on your map (while in event mode) and select this option:

It will make a "treasure chest" event for you with two "pages", which are essentially states that an event can be in. Here, those states/pages are unopened and opened. Later pages will always take priority if the conditions for them are met- in this case, the switch for having opened the chest being activated. If you study the event generated by this action a bit I'm sure you will get it if it seems complex.

2. To make the player visibly carry something you would have two options: one would be making an edit of the character's graphic to be holding the object in some graphic editor (then hiding the object you just picked up with a switch), and the second would be programming a function into the engine with the RGSS scripting. However I do not know a lick of Ruby and wouldn't be able to help you there Tongue also it would be overkill like reinventing the wheel compared to just editing the graphic.

Manipulating the position of an event with RPG Maker's event system would be a bit complicated though, it would involve some variable use to move the event in question to a particular spot, but it would still be comparatively faster/easier in the end then trying to code the function yourself into the RGSS.

3. Yup, this is simple! In events, go to page 2 and select "Set Move Route", then you can change the event targeted by the action with the dropdown in the top left.

Cheers, good luck and have fun making your game Smiley

Eginor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »

I didn't think of setting the move route to a non-player event. I probably also wouldn't have ever thought of changing the characters graphic!
The treasure even doesn't seem too complicated. I'm sure I can work it out for what I want.
I'll make sure to try the RPG Maker boards for future questions.

Thank you!
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »

You're welcome! You can still ask stuff here of course but the RPG Maker boards might help you out quicker since it's specialized for the maker. TIGsource is still a pretty good community to hang out at if you're interested in indie game development on the whole (you could have a dev thread here and stuff).

Eginor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »

Depending on how big this project ends up I might do a dev thread.
I do like this community, I've found a few great games here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic