Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:38:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionVenus Patrol [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Venus Patrol [FINISHED]  (Read 46001 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 04:57:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm still having trouble getting a bead on anyone.

It keeps looking better and better, though. The gunsmoke effect is awesome!

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »

I'm having trouble running most of the OpenGL games you guys have made, I'm 95% sure it's the inbox OpenGL ICD on Windows 7.  Don't have a Vista or XP machine handy so I'll need to hunt a driver or something down.

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

Ok some suggestions. Let one stay in the internal camera without constantly pressing CTRL and make it so that in this state the camera doesn't follow the target and you only have like a little pointer at the side of the screen to indicate where the target is.
Then a target reticle would be nice so that it's easier to hit. Also some friendly drones would be nice so that you do not have all the enemies following you.

Even then it might be hard to get them as they are so fast. It would be really cool if you could trick them with a Kulbit. Right now I don't think that is possible and the drones would immediately follow you. Maybe you could make them somewhat less straightforward so that they fly more circles around you then straight following you.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 01:20:12 AM »

Ok some suggestions. Let one stay in the internal camera without constantly pressing CTRL and make it so that in this state the camera doesn't follow the target and you only have like a little pointer at the side of the screen to indicate where the target is.
Then a target reticle would be nice so that it's easier to hit. Also some friendly drones would be nice so that you do not have all the enemies following you.

Even then it might be hard to get them as they are so fast. It would be really cool if you could trick them with a Kulbit. Right now I don't think that is possible and the drones would immediately follow you. Maybe you could make them somewhat less straightforward so that they fly more circles around you then straight following you.

Thanks for the suggestions! The AI is placeholder-ish at the moment. I hope to make it a bit more interesting, and also put in a wingman and a convoy of big slow aliens as your main target.

I'm torn on the internal camera thing. My intention was to make it so that the state of the aeroplane is very apparent from the third person view, so that you don't need to play in first person with your view always locked forwards. But when playing I do find myself keeping control pressed a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure I don't want the pointer; those things have always annoyed me. By target reticle, do you mean something to indicate how much you should lead your shots by?

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »

I'm torn on the internal camera thing. My intention was to make it so that the state of the aeroplane is very apparent from the third person view, so that you don't need to play in first person with your view always locked forwards. But when playing I do find myself keeping control pressed a lot of the time.
I guess you should just make so that it toggles. Shouldn't be a problem I guess.
For actually pursuing an enemy the 1st person view is simply better. I think the game flow should be: flying around, getting a general view of the field -> picking an enemy and targeting it -> switching to first person and attacking him.

I'm pretty sure I don't want the pointer; those things have always annoyed me.
Yeah, I guess it's fine with the freely rotatable third person view you can see where the enemy is, switch to first person and attack him.

By target reticle, do you mean something to indicate how much you should lead your shots by?
Yep, helps a lot. Especially in this case, as it's a compo game, people probably won't want to get a feel for range in just one game of over 30.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2009, 11:37:04 PM »

Wingman formation AI is done, at the cost of very much pain and wasted time yesterday. Today, in order: damage to friendly planes, cloud damage, alien behaviour, front end, large enemy stuff, interface tweaks, some optimization, general graphics and sound, rockets and missiles, more behaviour.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:07 AM »

wow that's a lot of work. good luck, I'm in a similar situation Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »

Well, I'm calling it a day, see the first post. I've ended up with a techdemo rather than a finished game. Pyglet is supposed to be multiplatform, so if anyone is interested in compiling it for mac or linux, let me know. Gentleman

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2009, 02:56:50 AM »

I tried it under Ubuntu 8.10 / Wine, and it works Perfectly !

Not to mention your game is purely awesome ! The visuals are perfect, very subtle and yet really compeling.  Kiss Kiss

mirosurabu
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 04:43:08 AM »

Can't start the game because:

MSVCR71.dll could not be extracted!
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »

Wine told me that as well, but I tried again and again and, suddently, it started.

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

The game looks great, but I find the controls too hard, or maybe I need practice, I don't know.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »

Can't start the game because:

MSVCR71.dll could not be extracted!

The executable was giving me that error too, but ran with no problems, so I was hoping it wasn't a big deal. After a bit of research on the internet, it looks like this may be from a bug in pyinstaller. Apparently it's fixed in the current code for pyinstaller, but I would need to compile the code myself  Sad. I have changed the upload in the first post to include a copy of MSVCR71.dll in the game directory; hopefully this will run.

Thanks very much for the kind words on the graphics. The plane is physically modelled and the controls control the flight surfaces directly, so it should handle like a plane would, kind of, for better or worse. I hope that using the mouse rather than a stick doesn't get in the way too much.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

Really cool game, awesome to see how much you finished. I think the regenerating health system is an interesting contribution from modern games. I still think the flight model is too squirrely, occasionally I would try to execute some maneuver but the wind or something would just flip me over a few times and send me speeding downward. It was great to get an enemy in my sights and shoot them down, though!

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 02:43:22 PM »

Really cool game, awesome to see how much you finished. I think the regenerating health system is an interesting contribution from modern games. I still think the flight model is too squirrely, occasionally I would try to execute some maneuver but the wind or something would just flip me over a few times and send me speeding downward. It was great to get an enemy in my sights and shoot them down, though!
Probably that's the plane stalling; one wing usually stalls before the other, which will flip it over. This kind of thing can happen, but I don't expect that the way it happens in the game is particularly realistic since the physics model is about as simple as it could be.

I've found a work-around for the msvcr71 problem and updated the download in the first post. Hopefully it will work for everyone now. I also realized that due to a last-minute change flying into the clouds had somehow suddenly become much too lethal; I've fixed this in the download. Hope this is okay.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 09:42:18 PM »

The game doesn't boot at all for me. According to what I see in the task manager, it starts and then immediately closes. Sad

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 10:25:11 PM »

The game doesn't boot at all for me. According to what I see in the task manager, it starts and then immediately closes. Sad
Argh. I was confident enough that it would worked that I disabled the console.

How about this one: [oops]

This has the console, and I'm running pyinstaller with fewer special options (and without deleting some extra directories it made that seemed to be full of junk, like I did last time).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:44:19 PM by Pishtaco » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »

Doesn't work either.

Managed to screenshot the console before it closed:

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 11:44:06 PM »

Oops, I forgot to include the audio .dll. Hopefully this one will work better -- thanks very much for the report.  Beer!

http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=61718

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:58 PM »

This time I get to see the title screen!

Then another crash. Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic