Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:29:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioOliver Sacks on music and amnesia
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Oliver Sacks on music and amnesia  (Read 823 times)
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »

Hi everybody,
I've read a few articles by Oliver Sacks since he past away two days ago and this piece I found to be terrifying and sad, yet somehow comforting and beautiful at the same time, while offering fascinating insights about how music and memory interact. So I thought I might as well share it here. "The Abyss. Music and Amnesia" was published in The New Yorker in September 2007: www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/09/24/the-abyss?mbid=social_twitter

It's a long read for an article on the internet but it's worth the time (imo)!

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »

Thank you kindly for sharing, this is a really fascinating read. It's reminding me of this tremendous documentary I saw him in awhile ago called

. Oliver Sacks man, he was one of the best of us. Probably an appropriate time to start reading his Musicophilia book.

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »

Yes, definitely gonna read Musicophilia now, looking at the release date of the book and this article, the text might even draw from the book. Up to now I have only read some of Sacks' fictional work, I am eager to have a look at his more research oriented stuff.

And thanks for sharing the documentary, I haven't heard about that one. Now I have something good to watch this evening!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 04:48:18 PM »

Lord, this is incredibly sad. More than anything, I am in awe of his wife's dedication and love for him. Watching your spouse fade in and out of... awareness must be really difficult.

Will definitely spend my time checking out the documentary.

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:36:31 AM »

Yes, I got to say, it is more sad than comforting, despite what I wrote in my first post. His condition sounds like a curse or a designed torment. His wife and him must have been and still are an incredible couple though and it is beautiful how she is engraved in his emotional memory and that she on her side never gave up on him.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »

A haunting article; thanks for sharing, this is definitely worth reading. Hard to grasp what Clive and Deborah have been through.

foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I will definitely be checking this out. There's a lot of crossover between music and the mind. It's fascinating stuff.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic