Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:21:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhats the best way to get help for a game idea?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Whats the best way to get help for a game idea?  (Read 972 times)
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »

This may seem like a bit of an odd question, but I've got an idea for a game, and would like assistance in bringing it to life once I've fleshed it out more.

That said what is the best way to get help once the concept has been fleshed out? What should I avoid doing? What information should I or shouldn't I give? and whatever questions that come up as commonsense when looking for help.

I'll be honest and say my talents overall in the gamedev field are certainly lacking, with the exception of concepts, level design, and a few other less noteworthy skills, but I will add that I've got an interest in learning some sort of programming, and have had past experience with Gamemaker's GML Scripting, though only a little. (I'm sure whatever I find more suitable will be nothing like GML in the end.)

Regardless of my skills though I think I've got a decent Idea, and am interested in making it work. Trouble is I honestly don't know where to begin as far as fleshing out my idea, or how to best get a dev team on board without doing the wrong thing once that is all done, and set.

I've honestly got a few issues to settle before I start asking for assistance, but since these things won't be solved overnight, I'm just gonna do what I can for now, ask some questions for various reasons, and partake in the general community chatter.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:34 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48438.0
Similar thread here if you want to look at it. I'll say, you were much more eloquent in requesting help than the op of the thread I linked though Smiley

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:57 AM »

Pretty much says what I already knew, flesh out the idea, come up with design documents, and such.

I'm actually more so interested in the actual Pitch rather than where to begin, like what I should have, what I should avoid doing, ect, ect, ect...

I've got lots of work I need to do before I actually pitch it, but I'd like to ask about the actual pitch so I have a better idea as from where to start, or what to avoid.

EDIT: To be even clearer on the subject, I'm moreso interested in the specific types of design documents I should present, what I should avoid presenting in my pitch, and stuff that may be good to know when actually Pitching a game concept.
Also just now realizing this may actually be a topic better suited for the buisness board.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:38:26 AM by Mariofan0 » Logged

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »

I don't know much about how to pitch the idea. The few times I did that had very little response.

However, I can say this: no one wants to work for an idea guy. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with it, but it's how people are. So it's important, in your pitch, to show what you can do (besides having the idea). They will be the leading words, like "Hi, I'm a artist (link to portfolio) and I have this idea for a game. (then there's a bunch of artwork before the next paragraph)". A programmer that sees that will be much more inclined to work with you.

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:09:55 PM »

Nothing releases your creativity more than doing it yourself. It's such a liberating experience. Nothing can hold you back if you can do everything.

I used to be the opposite. I have all the programming knowledge and experience to bring anything to life, but I didn't have the art skills. As I've developed my art however, I've had a few moments where I thought, "THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!"

When I made my first art asset with everything set up it was a great feeling. I remember paying someone $800 dollars for a simple asset that I can now do better myself. Not to mention faster. When he finished he said something like, "WHEW! That was a lot of work! Glad it's finished." It takes me 30 minutes to make a better asset than that now.

You just got to dive in and do it. Will you? It's the only way you're going to know if your idea is actually worth anything.

Forget formal design documents. Total waste of time. Write down whatever you personally need to make it a reality. Forget the pitch. You already pitched it to yourself and if it's good enough you'll follow through with the skills needed to make it a reality.

It's a new world now. You don't need a team. You just need you.

DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:56 PM »

I'll tell it to you straight because I think the sooner you know this, the sooner you can start approaching this differently.

There's no such thing as being "the ideas guy".

That said, my advice to you is become an MVP for your project. This involves learning art, programming or game design, and a little bit of the two you didn't chose, just enough for you to learn to communicate efficiently with your team and make preliminary prototypes.

The rest is just an art of asking Smiley
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:04 PM »

The rest is just an art of asking

I say forget that. Just do it. Don't bank your idea on anyone else's approval.

The way you get your idea done is to do it.

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:24:09 AM »

I'll tell it to you straight because I think the sooner you know this, the sooner you can start approaching this differently.

There's no such thing as being "the ideas guy".

That said, my advice to you is become an MVP for your project. This involves learning art, programming or game design, and a little bit of the two you didn't chose, just enough for you to learn to communicate efficiently with your team and make preliminary prototypes.

The rest is just an art of asking Smiley

I Honestly couldn't agree more, I absolutely need something that lends it self more credibility in the field, and not just "I Design Amazing Levels" or "I've got a great concept written up" as such this has been something that has made it rather difficult to stay motivated, and really push my efforts. I'll say I've got an interest in programming, and thats what I feel best suits me, over graphic art, or music, so I've little doubt thats a good place to start once I'm ready, sadly I lack a crucial component to get started for the moment, so it will have to wait until I can afford to aquire this necessary component.

In the meantime I'm really just poking around, asking certain questions, typing up some design documents, and getting whatever I can done, until I can effectively do more.

As far as actually Pitching it to someone goes, this is something I feel I will ultimately need to do at some point, because my project is extremely large, and would require more effort than just mine to really take off and be something. In the end I will likely try something smaller first as a learning experience so as to have some know-how before putting effort into my more major project. Effectively I'm pretty much thinking for the long-term for the moment, and don't really have much I can do in the short-term at the present moment. Regardless its time I did something about that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic