Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:30:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat's A good Computer to work with in Gamedev?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: What's A good Computer to work with in Gamedev?  (Read 3654 times)
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »

This may be the wrong place to ask a question like this, but I didn't see anywhere on the site to discuss the Hardware involved in GameDev.

I'm presently in the Market for a New Computer, and am interested in using it for game development, with a side of gaming. Problem is I've never tried to buy a computer, or have too much understanding of specs, and the like to really decide what is right for me. I was hoping someone might have some decent input as to what type of computer I should probably buy.

General requirements for the computer would include being good for game dev, testing, & gaming, having plenty of usb ports, SD Card slots, & whatever else I may require. Also preferably it should be a laptop as I've got little room to fit another Computer into my home. (We have 5 already, two incredibly old ones, a cheap laptop, and two decent personal computers that aren't mine.)

I've only got about 500$ to spend right now so I may have to wait on this, I don't need the best computer really, it just needs to be future proof, and is certainly adequate for what I want it for. (Main focus being the Gamedev.)

Links would be greatly appreciated.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »

i just felt the generational rift
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:19:07 AM »

Let me say right now that you may not get something great from a 500$ laptop. If you're starting out however, I would say that specs matter much less to you right now since you'll spend a good chunk of time learning how to make games instead of really making them. As long as you get a decent machine that can run whatever engine or language you want to use and it has a big screen which you can view code on easily, you should be fine, I think.

Sadly, you can pretty much say goodbye to gaming with that budget, especially since yo want a laptop. Good gaming laptops start getting decent in at least the 1000$ range, so you'll probably have to accept that your computer will be a potato, at least for a while.

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »

Honestly I'm not really too interested in PC Gaming, but I feel it necessary to have specs in that regards, both for whatever game I may be designing, and whatever games that aren't so heavy in terms of requirements. I'm not really looking to play AAA Games on the thing, just to have enough power to function in the department to a decent degree.

I'd say I'm looking for a low end, or mid range on the gaming department, with Higher emphasis on Gamedev over hardcore gaming. does this make since, are low end gaming PC's still monsters, and unnecessary outside of resource heavy games?

EDIT: Also if it really matters It can wait, & I can get more Funds together for this at a later date.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:03:52 PM by Mariofan0 » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »

I haven't read this discussion, but I would add that a mid range laptop is perfect for 2D gamedev, because you don't want to use a beast computer and then find out the game you made only runs well on your beast computer. For 3D stuff, get something nice, but again, not a $1500+ high end gaming rig.

Also, in your signature, it's you're, not your.
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »

Something for 2D Game Design, would be ideal, as 3D game design isn't something I'm overly invested in learning for the moment. Having the ability to play "Some" 3D games would be nice, but its otherwise unnecessary for me, as I doubt I'll be doing much gaming with it. Nice to have in case I ever did decide to do some gaming on it, but not really a focus for me. (I'm more a Console guy in the end.)

Also having decent range on the WIFI is rather important, as I'll be accessing the internet from a decent distance from my router. (Not sure if its the router, or my devices.)

EDIT: Thanks for the tip about the sig, my grammar, and spelling can be quite terrible, I usually don't worry about it much, but its not an issue I'm completely unaware of.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:22:47 PM by Mariofan0 » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 12:25:08 PM »

my computors cant even run xbox360 ports on medium, but i can sculpt 3d models and stuff.
cool pcs needed for visualistion rendering and giant psd files
also you have lifetime of videogames available for machines worse than that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »

also wifi range depends entirely on the router
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:36:07 PM »

@cobralad Most of my computers take 20 minutes to load Windows XP, and run Jack Squat. Reformat the Harddrive & Install a new OS you say? Ha! Good luck with that, you'd probably have better luck getting a 40 Pound Bird into the oven for Christmas Dinner.

@Silbereisen I'm pretty sure my WiiU has a 2-3 Bar Connection that drops out frequently enough to notice, I thought it might be the WiiU instead of the Router, but I really haven't got a clue how these things transmit between eachother, or what other factors may affect it. At the end of the day its probably just a damn wall though so ehh...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 01:51:58 PM »

oops yes i meant to delete that post  Embarrassed
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:04 PM »

Probably a Mac.

They're more creative.

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »

I prefer PC, as its just what I've been used to using, and most software is developed with PC in mind first, so to me it makes sense, unless I was looking to develop specifically for MAC, which I am not.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 04:47:43 PM »

Probably a Mac.

They're more creative.

I prefer PC, as its just what I've been used to using, and most software is developed with PC in mind first, so to me it makes sense, unless I was looking to develop specifically for MAC, which I am not.

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:57:34 PM »

Probably a Mac.

They're more creative.

Not the first time somethings flown over my head like that, it seems that the Lice on my head are still hard at work reinacting the World Wars, I swear at one point a Nuke was dropped. Not really sure where that landed though.

On a more serious note what specs would be ideal for what I've got planned, and is it within budget range, or should I try saving more up before buying a Computer?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:09:43 PM by Mariofan0 » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »

I'd say $400 is the least you could spend for a decent gamedev computer. Anything upwards of that is just that much better.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »

On a more serious note what specs would be ideal for what I've got planned, and is it within budget range, or should I try saving more up before buying a Computer?

Programgamer gave you the best answer. You're not going to find much that's worthwhile at $500. TBH if you're sure about trying this, search the pre-owned market. Craigslist, local newspaper, etc. You're better off trying to get in at a $1k or $1.5k price point.

As far as your requirements go, keep in mind that compiling code and making the arts is more resource intensive than playing the games you make.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Magurp244
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »

The answer, as with most things is "it depends", depends on what you want to do, and depends on your particular tastes. I think a 500$ range laptop is fine for most things, even some high end games if your willing to sacrifice graphical fidelity for the sake of performance. It should also be quite suitable for most 2D or stylized 3D game development, if you don't push the graphics or simulation end of it too hard.

More to the point though, you can follow this PC Guide off Kotaku if your inclined to DIY your own PC, or have a look at laptops like this or this which may be what your looking for, or you could just browse for yourself.
Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 12:26:47 AM »

For 800$ you can get good computer for gamedev. Computer screen,mouse and keyboard is then extra. But for 800 you get a solid machine if you build it yourself that is Smiley  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »

The answer, as with most things is "it depends", depends on what you want to do, and depends on your particular tastes. I think a 500$ range laptop is fine for most things, even some high end games if your willing to sacrifice graphical fidelity for the sake of performance. It should also be quite suitable for most 2D or stylized 3D game development, if you don't push the graphics or simulation end of it too hard.

More to the point though, you can follow this PC Guide off Kotaku if your inclined to DIY your own PC, or have a look at laptops like this or this which may be what your looking for, or you could just browse for yourself.

This is pretty much the type of answer I've been looking for, taking a look at the computers in the Links, they looked decent enough, and since I likely don't need as much Power for what I've got planned, may actually be an effective buy all things considered. I'll have to take a peek at the Guide you sent me later once I've got access to a Computer, (Facepalms) I'm not going to do a DIY project, but perhaps it'll tell me something I can use, in order to make an informed selection.

My only thought is that the HD Webcams, on the Computers you Linked to may be largely unnecessary, not sure if its an industry standard now to have them, but I'm not sure they are necessary, My bluetooth headset I bought for PS3, or another cheap headset may be the better, cheaper way of communicating. From what you tell me though it sounds like I can get something significantly cheaper, albeit sacrificing lots of power, and still be fine to begin with. (All that power must be unnecessary for something that isn't planned as being an all consuming monster.) Although I was thinking about working with 2D HD Handrawn Graphics, but thats a ways off at the end of the day.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 04:25:16 AM »

sega master system
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic