Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411620 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 07:17:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat's A good Computer to work with in Gamedev?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: What's A good Computer to work with in Gamedev?  (Read 3677 times)
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 07:41:43 AM »

One of the things I was hoping to do is record Lets Play Vids, and whatnot for my Youtube Channel. But It appears I may need a Capture Card to do so... Although I am curious as to what the USB Slot on my TV is for... I'll need to check the Manual for that I guess.

That USB is for flash drives with movies on it, it can't output, you'll need something like Firewire for that. Also, you can do LP's, although you're limited to being only able to do that with something like OBS.
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »

One of the things I was hoping to do is record Lets Play Vids, and whatnot for my Youtube Channel. But It appears I may need a Capture Card to do so... Although I am curious as to what the USB Slot on my TV is for... I'll need to check the Manual for that I guess.

That USB is for flash drives with movies on it, it can't output, you'll need something like Firewire for that. Also, you can do LP's, although you're limited to being only able to do that with something like OBS.

OBS? What is that?

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »

open broadcaster software, a video recording and streaming program: https://obsproject.com/
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »

I assume I need a capture card with that, or am I missing something that would allow me to grab a Video feed from my WiiU? I'm assuming if I'm doing the gaming on my computer thats one thing, but I figure I'd need a capture card to grab Video Output from the WiiU right?

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »

Yeah, you'll need a capture card.
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2015, 02:20:11 PM »

I assume I need a capture card with that, or am I missing something that would allow me to grab a Video feed from my WiiU? I'm assuming if I'm doing the gaming on my computer thats one thing, but I figure I'd need a capture card to grab Video Output from the WiiU right?
Yes, if you want video from the Wii U, you will need either a capture card or a method to transfer live data into the PC. OBS is good for PC gaming and emulation, but I have no idea what's good for consoles. I just used a VCR.
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »

How much are capture cards generally worth, and where is a decent source to buy one?

Also do you think its possible for me to live stream from my Laptop or is it not powerful enough?

Conker
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »

the elgato is pretty good and it takes a lot of resources to stream but recording isn't too hard. im sure youll be okay
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2015, 03:30:06 PM »

Also do you think its possible for me to live stream from my Laptop

you could always try you know.
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »

Also do you think its possible for me to live stream from my Laptop

you could always try you know.

Perhaps if I had a capture card I would. My bro says he's managed to do it on his 2000$ Desktop, so Internet Connection shouldn't be a problem. But as far as specs go I'm not entirely sure my computer will be able to handle it. We will see I suppose...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »

i meant you could just test it by running some games on your laptop and seeing if you can stream them.
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »

Just saying, /r/letsplay exists. They have answered these questions a lot.
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 05:14:31 AM »

i meant you could just test it by running some games on your laptop and seeing if you can stream them.

I don't have any games to run... Know any good, free games I'd probably be able to run while streaming? Also in the event I attempt it, is there a way to actually make sure its doing ok as far as streaming goes?

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »

You'll need 2Mb/s upload to stream at 720p. Stream yourself making a game. Watch the stream from Twitch or whatever you're planning on using to see how it's looking.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 06:43:28 AM »

i agree with joe, either the sega master system or the sega sg-1000
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 07:08:04 AM »

You'll need 2Mb/s upload to stream at 720p. Stream yourself making a game. Watch the stream from Twitch or whatever you're planning on using to see how it's looking.

I should have the internet speed, I'm more so curious to see if my computer has the power to handle Lets Plays Vids, and Livestream Gaming.

As far as game development goes, I lack the necessary software, & skills to really do anything as of yet, and presently don't have any money for it right now.

This is why I asked about a decent free game to test it out with. You wouldn't happen to know if Cave Story is free on PC would you, that might be a suitable game to attempt.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »

This is why I asked about a decent free game to test it out with. You wouldn't happen to know if Cave Story is free on PC would you, that might be a suitable game to attempt.
It is. You can google it.

Also, it could be cool to just go the Devlogs and Feedback forums on here and try stuff. You'd get to test things out, learn more about what people are currently making and help out the folks get some love for their games.
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »

It is. You can google it.

Also, it could be cool to just go the Devlogs and Feedback forums on here and try stuff. You'd get to test things out, learn more about what people are currently making and help out the folks get some love for their games.

Not a half bad idea actually, but first... For Shovelry!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2015, 02:12:42 AM »

just heard about this web site "google". fascinating stuff, i think you might find it interesting, Mariofan0.
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »

Tested a livestream, had a buddy check it out cause I don't have a internet connection that is able to stream, & monitor it simultaneously. He said it was fine, sounded ok, no obvious hiccups. So it pretty much settles that question.

Gonna buy a cheap Capture Card, one that utilizes the RCA Cables, that way if I want I can stream GCN, & PS2, Games. I won't be able to do HD, but I'm probably better off not doing that in the long run, at least not at first.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic