Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:38:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAre things good?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Are things good?  (Read 3357 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 02:56:42 AM »

Yeah, its good.
yeah
itsyourpalmike
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »

Hell yeah, things are good. What a time to be alive!
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 10:19:12 PM »

what are things

foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 08:43:04 AM »

good sometimes

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 04:15:04 AM »

i have changed my mind. no, they are not.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »

No.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »

Some things are good. Some other things are bad. A couple of things are just okay. A few of them are pretty damn great.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:57:51 PM by Manuel Magalhães » Logged

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »

most things are terrible

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 06:01:24 PM »

Your problem is obviously that you are trying to break down reality into a simple and easy to manage concept. The solution is to consider that the global context in which you live in is composed of very complex and numerous interactions which you, at seemingly random interval, gain awareness of, changing your worldview. If you do not whish for your worldview to change, live under a rock with ice cream and cake, and things will be good.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »

obviously

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 12:29:32 PM »

Your problem is obviously that you are trying to break down reality into a simple and easy to manage concept. The solution is to consider that the global context in which you live in is composed of very complex and numerous interactions which you, at seemingly random interval, gain awareness of, changing your worldview. If you do not whish for your worldview to change, live under a rock with ice cream and cake, and things will be good.

Conker
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »

prob
JWK5
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »

Pizza infrequently = Good

Pizza for one meal: Grin
Pizza for two consecutive meals: Smiley
Pizza for five consecutive meals: Undecided
Pizza for twenty consecutive meals: Lips Sealed
Pizza for every meal: Sad

Pizza excessively = Tedium/Torture

Look for the good and savor it when you find it but don't desperately cling to it or it will cease to be good.

I think a lot of the emptiness and depression people feel in life happens because they came across something good and it runs its course but they expect the happiness to last indefinitely so they never move on, they are stuck clutching a constant source of disappointment hoping that they can somehow make it be what it once was.  The whole "pursuit of happiness" mantra is complete bullshit. The constant search for moments of contentment, enjoyment, satiety, safety, etc. force us to adapt and grow (which is biologically probably the point), but expecting any one feeling to last indefinitely is insane (and the sort of delusion consumerism loves to pander to).

tl;dr Things are good but only for a while and then it is time to find other good things.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:21:49 PM by JWK5 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »

I think a lot of the emptiness and depression people feel in life happens because they came across something good and it runs its course but they expect the happiness to last indefinitely so they never move on, they are stuck clutching a constant source of disappointment hoping that they can somehow make it be what it once was.  The whole "pursuit of happiness" mantra is complete bullshit. The constant search for moments of contentment, enjoyment, satiety, safety, etc. force us to adapt and grow (which is biologically probably the point), but expecting any one feeling to last indefinitely is insane (and the sort of delusion consumerism loves to pander to).

i can relate to this
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

it's tru; the prospect of happiness is literally a lie your own brain tells you so you'll keep trying

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »

sometimes i think the idea that suffering helps us grow is a rationalization that in fact just helps us cope with the shitty aspects of life better #deepthoughtz
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »

Except that sometimes struggle really does lead to hapiness in the end, like in the case of a creative project, like a game for an example :D

JWK5
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 05:39:57 PM »

The feeling of suffering is deceptive. What feels like suffering can actually be beneficial (for example, for some people the taste of vegetables versus the nutritional value) and what feels like bliss can actually be harmful (for example, the euphoric effects of hard drugs versus the toll they take on the body). Actual suffering itself does not help you grow.

Suffering without meaning is torture, suffering with meaning is a challenge. If I shoved your hand in ice water and forced you to keep them there for 5 minutes you'd likely see that as torture, but if I told you if you can keep your hand in the ice water for 5 minutes I will give you $100 you'd likely see that as a challenge. The mental state the two scenarios trigger is vastly different but only two key differences are that in the latter scenario you feel you have a greater degree of control over the situation and you have a goal (a meaning, some good) that makes you willing to endure it.

In bad situations a lot of us tend to tell ourselves there is little to nothing we can do (we have no real degree of control) and we search for reasons for why it is happening to us rather than reasons for why we should resolve it (we give the situation no real meaning). Taking the situation as torture cripples us and makes us helpless victims unable to save ourselves. In that state all we can really do is continue to be tortured hoping it will somehow end through some means out of our hands.

As crazy as it sounds, the more willing you are to suffer for something the more control you are exerting over the situation and the more like a challenge rather than torture it is going to feel. A challenge calls for the development of the skills needed to overcome it. That is how suffering can help you grow.

If all else fails and you can find no real good reason for why you should be willing to endure, try "Fuck you, that's why!" In other words, endure to be defiant and see it as a challenge to prove that you can't be broken.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 05:50:58 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »

Nice words JWK5, you're really good at putting concepts into understandable situations.

My thoughts:
I like hard work.
Don't know why, just always have.
I'm generally always happy, so I don't put too much thought into this "happiness is an illusion" thing.

That's it.
I should become a philosopher.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 02:31:58 AM »

yeah eh

read the previous two posts and note the given age in their respective profiles. that's a clue

sry guys enjoy it while it lasts

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic