Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:21:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAre things good?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Are things good?  (Read 3356 times)
JWK5
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 03:36:01 AM »

Nice words JWK5, you're really good at putting concepts into understandable situations.
I use metaphors because complicated things make my brain hurt. If I could write code in metaphors I'd probably be a much better programmer (I realize that technically code is composed of metaphors for hardware functions but I mean more blatantly).

I used to be really happy but something happened and now i'm only kind of happy most of the time.

It sucks because I have no reason to not be really happy.

w.e

What is "happy"?

Is it the feeling you get after eating a delicious new food for the first time?

Is it the rush you get after kissing someone you are infatuated with?

Is it the excitement of playing a new game you've been waiting for and its turned out awesome?

Is it the waves of joy that wash over you when you're laughing and being silly with friends?

Is it the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction after a job well done?

Is it the warmth you feel when a loved one gets excited over a gift you've given them?

"Happiness" is far too vague and is given far too broad a definition, especially since it is not one specific feeling it is actually a period of time surrounding an event triggering a variety of feelings. Consecutive events generating "happy" feelings can make happiness seem like it can and should last forever (that is the illusion) but it doesn't, it is the residue of an experience and its duration can vary greatly. I think children tend to find more joy in things than adults because things are newer to them so there is a lot of discovery and surprise happening for them (as adults we stubbornly assume we have the world figured out already).

I don't think you need a reason to be happy. I hear people say "happiness is a choice" but I don't entirely buy it, I think where you have any real choice in the matter is choosing how and where to have experiences. If a situation sucks you can choose to leave it, reinterpret it, change it, challenge it, etc., you have options but none of them are guaranteed to generate happiness (and those self-help gurus claiming otherwise need to be slapped upside the head with their own overpriced books).

That is why chasing happiness can be toxic, because it is not guaranteed to happen so you can easily become disappointed that it isn't especially when you are doing the same things you think made you happy previously. Once you start beating that dead horse it is hard to stop and it will exhaust you very quickly. Happiness doesn't happen for a reason (though your actions do), happiness happens as an experience.

If you don't feel you're happy enough maybe you're not having the right experiences, it might be time to seek out new ones or let go of old ones if they're holding you back.

yeah eh

read the previous two posts and note the given age in their respective profiles. that's a clue

sry guys enjoy it while it lasts
I've met plenty of adults who seemed chronically happy, I don't think it is an age thing.

Thinking about it, they were always doing shit. Going places, meeting people, learning things, etc. Especially at the time, being a cynic I'd scoff at everything they'd throw at me like enjoyment was some kind of terrible kryptonite.

"You should go here!" "No, I don't like those places."
"You should try this!" "No, I don't do those things."
"You should talk to so-and-so!" "No, I have enough friends already."
"You sould--" "No." "No." "No." ...

I can see now why misery followed me like the plague, it was the only experience I allowed myself to have. The older we get the more we do stupid shit like that because we assume we are "this way" and the world is "that way" and the only way we'll make it through life is if we stick to our guns and make the world more like us rather than adapting to it.

Some people just instinctively know that the world is a pool for swimming in not a pool for pissing in.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:06:20 AM by JWK5 » Logged
keo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »

doubts keep piling up on eachother as our needs aren't met, these doubts become unspoken beliefs we take as the way things are.  western culture likes to downplay the importance of healing, psychologically and spiritually, but it's actually quite important, apathy gets you nothing and logical conclusions are just bandaids.  I expect a lot of creatives grew up maladjusted, and dysfunctional, no parent's gonna pat you on your back as your typing code and say you're doing good son/daughter.  the weight of our sub conscious stuff is at the dam of apathy, sometimes you need to roll around on the floor and convulse, letting the past catch up to you and resolve itself, in a purely somatic somewhat detached way.  neurobiology says we can rewire ourselves in such ways due to neuroplasticity.  our history becomes our biology, it's important to look at our family structures, how we were raised, and how we grew up, what needs weren't met, what those instilled in us as beliefs, mental, emotional, and physical.  and look for ways to overcome them.  happiness or the rather the general state of having a positive optimistic outlook and feeling of well being is product of that work, not something to be found in objects or persons.  forums
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »

Things are good now that I think about it, thanks for asking!  Corny Laugh

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Pfotegeist
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »

sadhguru says:

I think the meaning is, while we're alive we can make the world a better place, but we don't unless we feel like it. Then we die.

Also, I figured out there's no direct solution to sexism, only thousands of bandages to swab and plug it with.  It's a byproduct of heteronormativity, sexualism, and the root of almost every oppression starts with anecdotal evidence that animals are somehow "evil" I don't believe it that's why it's in quotes.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2015, 02:27:04 AM »

i have a brain-gut axis dysfunction that results in high parasympathetic vagal tone and thus comparative hyperactivity of the prefrontal cortex, making me the smartest man alive as a result of poop. things are good, fuck all the stupid long posts i will never read by people with less important asses and brains than my own
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2015, 04:15:30 AM »

There's an old pioneer's saying:

Look down
and if a smile you see
Then good it will be

it also happens to be a haiku

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 05:40:54 AM »

I'm trynna look at things that aren't pussy
but the internet's full of pussy

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »

try turning your monitor on
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »

crippling clinically diagnosed general anxiety disorder made me learn to never get excited because it triggers the hell that is my awful condition.

I'm trying to get on some sort of medication but doctors are truly awful and won't give me the thing i was recommended. instead I get this shit that's next to worthless and causes me to get dizzy really bad.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »

crippling clinically diagnosed general anxiety disorder made me learn to never get excited because it triggers the hell that is my awful condition.

I'm trying to get on some sort of medication but doctors are truly awful and won't give me the thing i was recommended. instead I get this shit that's next to worthless and causes me to get dizzy really bad.
have you looked into cbt (cock and ball torture)? theres lots of great pics and videos on line to make you sexfully honry
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »

I'm trynna look at things that aren't pussy
but the internet's full of pussy
try turning your monitor on
savage

Torchkas
Level 10