Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:57:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignJump profile on platformers
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jump profile on platformers  (Read 643 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »

I was browsing steam and this game called Abyss Odyssey came up. Looks and sounds amazing! with very poor reviews. Skimming over the reviews I see people struggling to put their fingers on what exactly doesn't feel right, so they use terms like "the character feels heavy" or slow. So I'm looking at the videos trying to figure out what the game does differently. I think I'll buy the game just to study it.

I hypothesize that at least one of the factors giving this impression is the jump profile (jump while moving forward). On my illustration below, this game seems to fall on B profile. This profile doesn't give you a lot of air freedom, your x speed is too low compared to y. Normally we see A and some games, like super meat boy, use C. C is the exact opposite of B, as it gives you too much air control to the point where a delicate tap of the direction will send you flying the other way. And A seems comfortable.

Maybe the character in the game is just slow overall. So simply increasing movement speed would fix its sluggish feel, while at the same time pushing the jump profile towards A.

But speed perception is inherently relative, we compare all the speeds we see on the screen. So I'm more curious to know if the sluggish feel could also be fixed by lowering the height of the jump instead of increasing the x speed. That would be quite interesting! fixing the sluggish feel by effectively lowering the total velocity.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »

Yep, there's definitely a sweet spot for this. Another important variable is the size of the character relative to their jump height/distance - too large and it'll feel like you can't fit comfortably anywhere; too small and it'll feel spacey.

There's also the issue of how much of the player's body collides with level geometry. If your head hits the ceiling and you can't jump more than your own height, upward traversal gets more complicated, because you won't be able to both walk under a ledge and also jump on top of it.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »

If your head hits the ceiling and you can't jump more than your own height, upward traversal gets more complicated, because you won't be able to both walk under a ledge and also jump on top of it.

I actually wrote about this in a high school essay last year, good to know great minds think alike!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:33:13 PM »

Scale totally matters! good point.

Also, I bought the game  Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic