Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:32:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrashomancer - An online COOP trashy monsters roguelike
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Trashomancer - An online COOP trashy monsters roguelike  (Read 15081 times)
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »

Introduction

Strange things are happening in a weird building that emerged from the ground... It's up to you, the trashomancer, to investigate what is happening in that place!

But you never liked getting your hands dirty anyway so you decide to send your minions made out of the trash you find lying around everyday. Play with your friends as the true disposable and recyclable heroes!

Gameplay elements

• Randomly generated trash heroes with different traits and skills
  • A big dungeon with four different environments to explore
  • Four bosses plus a big end game boss
  • Online coop multiplayer
  • Melee and ranged weapons of awkard varieties
  • Reconstruct yourself with new trash if you are damaged and empower yourself with items
  • Permadeath, but you recicle your hero anyway so you can't really die... permaundeath?
  • Unlockable stuff

Technology being used

The game is being written in LibGDX and will hopefully be released on PC, Linux and Mac! We will be using Tiled Map Editor for creating the maps and the characters and most of animations are being made using Spine.

Character system:

Here's an example of the trash the characters will be made of:

And this is what it turns to!

Latest screens:

(20/apr/2016):

(05/mar/2016):

(13/oct/2015):

Suggestions and opinions needed:

Here are 4 possible trashomancers we came up with (update 5) but still can't decide who to use... Can you give us any suggestions and/or opinions on the designs? Thanks in advance!

Also, we are deciding which UI looks cooler and clearer, since having 2 hp bars is not that common:

Music Previews

Click to listen to the first tune released! (not final)

About The Team

We are a 2 men team called Fat Pixel Games.

I am the designer and im charge of graphics, music and stuff. My pal is the one doing all the coding, and he has a saint's patience.

We are just starting making games on our own after some bad experiences in past attempts, as you can see we have no website yet and we are not exactly what you could call social media experts so every suggestion on these subjets are welcome!

Update: now we've got Twitter and website will be up soon.

Update posts links

update 1 | update 2 | update 3 | update 4 | update 5 | update 6 | update 7 | update 8 | update 9 | update 10 |
update 11 | update 12 | update 13 | update 14 | update 15 | update 16 | update 17 | update 18 | update 19 | update 20 | update 21 | update 22 | update 23 | update 24 | update 25 | update 26
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:50:49 AM by stringkiller » Logged

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 01:45:18 PM »

Sounds interesting. Will the hero be expandable in size as well, like eventually turning it into a big trash heap monster if you've made enough progress?
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

Sounds interesting. Will the hero be expandable in size as well, like eventually turning it into a big trash heap monster if you've made enough progress?

We thought about that in the beginning, but making a good animation system that works for most posible sizes is quite difficult.
At one point we thought about a job that let you transform into a golem made of a bunch of items if you collected enough, that idea is still in the air but we also have to think how to balance that in order not to interfere with our hp system.

So, the player creation system works like this:

Every item you are made out of have an initial hp + class hp and some will also have passive effects
    You begin being made out of 2 items, with a separate hp bar for each item. Each time you gain an hp granting item, you get 1 hp point for both of your items.
    If one of your items gets broken, you'll loose that hp bar and you will grow arms or legs in the remaining item. At this point if you have to get more hp the only way is reconstructing yourself with another item.

By doing things this way we give the gameplay a bit of a push up in pace, making you think less about which item you want to reconstruct yourself with (there won't be many laying around) and think more on how to adapt to the new characteristics of your new item.

We'll think about giving other possible uses to trash you find if you are complete.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:26:28 PM »

GAH! LOOK AT THAT APPLE MONSTER! I love this for obvious reasons.

Seriously though, I quite like the idea of assembling your character out of parts. There are so many possibilities. Although some of them technically complicated, like the one you mentioned: making a huge monstrosity requires adapting the animation. But it would be awesome if it went beyond aesthetic though. Maybe a bottom of something soft gives you no fall damage, some parts could have different 'armor' properties. I don't know, I'm just babbling now.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 03:22:35 AM »

When I saw your living apple main character I had a good laugh since it looked just as absurd XD. I guess apples has that something.

By the way, I started testing up some tiles tuff. I'm starting with a cavern environment because it seems easy to do, stay tuned!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »

Still working on the cavern enviroment but things are going nicely. Here's a mock up so you can see how it is coming:

Everything will be tested on tiled soon, as well as a water system that is also being worked on  Grin

jusk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »

Your trash heroes are fantastic Smiley.  Even if there was no game, I'd want the trash hero generator.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 06:12:59 AM »

Thanks a lot pal, glad you like it! We spent a lot of time designing and making that generator so it does not look terribly bad with some combinations. Soon I'll post more gifs with different combinations in movement  Smiley

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

Update 1 - Tiled maps working and water system

We got tiled maps up and running and we did a nice water system, check these out!

Also... serious banana:

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »

Update 2

Serious banana and patrol skull now enjoys a good dose of parallax.

I'm not entirely convinced with the last parallax layer, I might redo it when we start polishing stuff and testing maps.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »

Cool stuff! The trash hero system is real neat. I want to discover the best trash.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

This looks amazing, looking forward to seeing some more.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »

looks like garbage (i.e. great)

posting to follow
lobstersteve
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 06:09:34 AM »

I like the setting Smiley
I'll keep an eye on this  Blink Coffee
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys! Hopefully it will look more and more like garbage  Cheesy. Also...

Update 3

We've got new animations to make the character break and reconstruct! check out how it is looking:

Aaaand here's a funny debug feature that unfortunately won't be available in the final version, but it is too funny not to post!

So bug, many broken

Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »

The environment looks really nice. The palette also makes the character read well.
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »

The environment looks really nice. The palette also makes the character read well.

Thanks a lot for that comment really. Environmental art is not exactly my strong point as an artist and I'm working really hard to make it work nicely  Smiley. As for the palette what I did was use way more saturated color for the main characters and more dull stuff for the platforms and terrain you collide with, that certainly did the tric!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 02:55:52 PM »

Update 4

We are currently working on some hazards and trying to make you able to reconstruct yourself, aside from fixing some bugs with online animation coordination:

Still very work in progress, but you can gather other parts now!

Traditional spikes and electric barriers, you'll see them spark soon, at least in mocks XD

Also we are also doing new tests from time to time in order to get the perfect trashomancer main character desing, you can check out our deliberations in this post

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

Update 5

We are having some troubles deciding who the main character (the trashomancer, who you actually never control) will be  Crazy. He has to look somewhat powerful but lazy, or at least not willing to do anything by himself and rather sending others to do the job. Here are 4 designs we came up with, any suggestions? is there anyone you specially like/dislike?

lobstersteve
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »

haha Smiley great character designs. i like them all, but my favourite is the dog.
don't know if he is suitable as the main character though, he looks more like an ruthless corparation type of guy to me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic