Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:48:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Hey guys I made a magic cheat-at-pixel-art Photoshop brush
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hey guys I made a magic cheat-at-pixel-art Photoshop brush  (Read 3318 times)
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »

This is basically a magic trick to make the photoshop hard round brush Not As Bad.

Video, explanation, & download here.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »

Neat.

Purist haters gonna purely hate tho

DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »

It looks nice Smiley Do you have a bigger illustration made with it? I would definetely like to see that. Bet it looks great too.
The little automatic AA it does gives it away, thogh.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »

Thanks guys, hope you check it out and find it useful.

DXimenes, I don't have any illustrations I've made with it in specific, no. It's become a very core part of my toolset, basically everything I pixel now has some involvement with it, either to mix colors I'll later mark over or do an underdrawing. It actually feels super nice to illustrate with, because the mark is so chunky. Like pressing an oil pastel down really hard on the paper so it marks solid -- but nothing I've made lately benefits from that rendering style.

DXimenes
Level 0

writer, pixel artist, game designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »

I like the results a lot. It's harder than the 100% hardness brush in Photoshop.
Doesn't feel like cheating to me because it doesn't really look like pixel art, though seems to be a great starting point for a pixel art piece.
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:10:55 AM »

This works nice with indexing colours also. Sometimes when illustrating I feel that the hard brush in photoshop is not enough and I end up doing a lot of color level adjusting stuff, this thing really does the trick! thanks a lot for sharing!

Edit -- I did an illustration using this brush and then tried to get rid of unnecesary colors manually. It turned out that last part was really tedious and didn't find any way to do it quickly without manual editing so It's not the pinacle of colour reduction xD, check it out:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:00:36 AM by stringkiller » Logged

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »

Good! Glad to see it's comfortable for you to use. Reducing colors: You should be able to limit the palette by exporting to an indexed format, or adjust it manually fairly quickly with magic wand selection or non-contiguous fill tool. Unfortunately you will always get tons of junk variation in transparency levels because of photoshop's limited control of Textures.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »

Have you made an eraser brush in the same way? I ended up using a lot of white for clearing stuff up

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

Have you made an eraser brush in the same way? I ended up using a lot of white for clearing stuff up

Yes! I didn't want to make the video overlong, but this brush is my standard eraser for most tasks now.

JamesK
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »

I watched your video and you stated that this was mostly useful for sketching and that you'd have to go over it with other pixel art brushes.   Do you have any recommendations for what those other 'pixel art brushes' are? 

When searching on my own, all I'm seeing is a bunch of brushes that are pretty much just stamps of pixel sprites characters and creatures.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »

I watched your video and you stated that this was mostly useful for sketching and that you'd have to go over it with other pixel art brushes.   Do you have any recommendations for what those other 'pixel art brushes' are?  

When searching on my own, all I'm seeing is a bunch of brushes that are pretty much just stamps of pixel sprites characters and creatures.

Oh hey, absolutely: Pixel art in photoshop is usually done with a combination of the Pencil tool with a 1px or round tip, the various selection tools (with feathering and anti aliasing disabled) and the fill tool (also with anti aliasing disabled.) Derek yu's classic photoshop tutorial touches on this: http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial

JamesK
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 05:37:50 AM »

Ah, thanks. I'll look over that.   For some reason I was thinking you meant some other specialized brushsets.  But what could be more of a pixel brush then a square single pixel brush? :D
DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »

This looks really good! I'm a PixelJoint-raised purist, but I think this really works well. The color reduction isn't perfect, but it's not something I think a player or artist would notice without very close scrutiny.

Overall, this looks like it'd work well for background art or larger pieces like stringkiller posted. You've captured the crispy essence of pixel art with none of the time-consuming manual AA placement. And with some manual color reduction (something easy to do in ASEprite) the finished product could be indistinguishable from completely hand-drawn pixel art.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »

I´ve been using this brush in my recent pixels and it works wonderfully! And any undesired aa artifact can be tweaked later on so no big issue. I love it. Thanks for sharing Catguy!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic