Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:56:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Made a sprite, looking for opinions on the style.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Made a sprite, looking for opinions on the style.  (Read 1190 times)
Fanker453
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:51:44 AM »

Hello! I made a sprite today that I plan on using for a game, and I'm looking for advice on improving the sprite/style. Without further ado:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:05:28 PM by Fanker453 » Logged
Steven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »

Is there anything specific that you want feedback on?

In general I'd say you could improve on the anatomy, but I don't know in how far you want to stylise the sprite. For example, the torso seems rather long in comparison to the legs, but that may have been a consius decision on your part. I would also suggest rounding out the chin a bit more, and adding 2 more lines of 'width' to the back of his head to overall round out the head shape as well.

Colour-wise I think you've got a nice start, but there is little contrast between the colour in the ear and the colour of the skin on his face, so I suggest upping the contrast for that (especially since the contrast with the darkest shade is so big). The white pallet could also use more contrast to make it pop out more in my opinion.

Last but not least I would suggest rounding out the shaded area around teh shoulder joint. Usually it's best to keep shading nice and round for human characters.

I'm not the best at good feedback, so I hope that at the very least I explained my view pretty clear. I hope you'll find some parts of it usefull. Overall it's a good start, and I wih you luck with your sprites and game!

Fanker453
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

Alright, Ill try to improve it and post my changes. Thanks for the feedback!
Fanker453
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »

EDIT: Rounded shoulder and enlarged head. Increased contrast on ear and white areas. Slightly altered shape of right arm. Added black background to help clarify shape.
JWK5
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »

why is ear slightly different shade?
JWK5
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:30 AM »

Because it's a prosthetic ear, no doubt replacing an ear lost in some epic martial arts battle.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:58 AM »

Im not a fan of feet-less (or hand-less) design.
It always looks like an amputee to me.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »

Because it's a prosthetic ear, no doubt replacing an ear lost in some epic martial arts battle.
Or a boxing batch where anger escalated to an overwhelming level.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:26:42 AM »

Were you going for a cartoon, 3-heads tall proportions? search: cartoon heads tall
note: orthographic view means it's not in perspective.

needs more context, it looks like he's in a stance to run forward on an orthographic landscape.

The updated second image you made the head a bit more average and prettier. They look like two different people.

it'd take too many pixels to make a human between 6 and 8 heads tall while including detail and the more proportionate you try to make it look the less detail you'll have to work with. This is why I never had an affinity for pixel art.  Keep practicing, it will show.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic