Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:27:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe “State of Games Criticism” Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: The “State of Games Criticism” Thread  (Read 5867 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »

i don't get it tho. for instance i ran this sentence through the hemingway app:

just because a lot of people use the word inappropriately or in bad faith doesn't mean the original idea behind it is worthless.

removing "inappropriately" would completely change the meaning of the sentence. dum.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »

we should have a hemingway thread
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50552.new#new
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:23:22 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »

anyway,

I mean why is there is an assumption of other trying to be smart instead of being passionate. The brutal enforcement of this rules is only saying me that someone is trying to assert authority on discussion by disqualifying other based on simple subjective assessment who might or might not be true, the ambiguousness make it the perfect political tool.

but like i said, it can also be a corrective to bullshit. people can be passionate but still wrong (just to be clear this is NOT aimed at you). i think it's perfectly fine and even healthy not to take everyone and everything seriously. by taking bullshit ideas seriously you give them a kind of legitimacy they may not deserve. and you allow them to enter a conversation they may not deserve to be part of (example: anti-vax).

unfortunately we don't live in a society where "rational" arguments always win, so things like laughing off bad ideas is necessary.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:16:37 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
JWK5
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »

Plus, there is a difference between getting the gist of something and actually fully understanding something. It is very easy to just understand the gist of something and then run wild with it (especially if impassioned) only progressively learning about is as is necessary to argue it, especially where the internet is concerned. I don't even think people even mean to do this (and I am not saying that is what you or anyone else here has done or is doing) but "being right" has a very tempting and toxic pull on the mind. I've been ensnared by it more times than I'd like to admit. We live in a social world that places too much emphasis on giving answers rather than asking questions, it leads to a lot of yelling but not a lot of listening. Sometimes someone running wild needs to be tripped so they can stop for a moment and gain some clarity.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2015, 06:41:45 PM »

ADDENDUM: i realize there is a very fine and blurry line between dismissing unorthodox ideas and calling out BS and its a double edged sword because you may end up marginalizing the wrong ideas.

though i think its ok that human society in general is "conservative" in this regard and doesn't give every new or weird idea its due. otherwise we'd already have wiped ourselves out a long time ago.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »

This is however easily fix if in a discussion, if we are open to being wrong or open to backed up claim without calling anyone name. I mean a discussion right?

JWK5
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »

Yeah, that is true, but just as conflict of language is a hurdle both parties must overcome to continue communicating so is conflict of emotion. When people get heated they tend to lash out in some manner or another.

Sometimes you just have to focus less on the anger they are venting and the harshness of their words and more on what it is they are actually trying to get across (doing so, and expressing that understanding can sometimes diffuse that anger).

Other times, you just have to realize they've stopped communicating altogether and you are just the target of their tantrum, at which point it is best to just nod, smile, and walk away.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2015, 07:08:21 PM »

being open to being wrong is not easy tho. there are too many auxiliary (right word??) interests in politics that interfere with reason as a guiding principle for discussion. plus it only works if everyone is open to being wrong which they aren't. hell I am not open to being wrong on everything. cognitive dissonance and trying to mitigate it by doubling down is a real thing ya know. and a thing that most of us have probably experienced.
JWK5
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »

...and if you think you haven't, you're experiencing it right now.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »

let's all hug now

JWK5
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »

let's all hug now

s0
o
Level 10