Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:17:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLil' Drake: "a combination of super meat boy, castlevania and flappy bird"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lil' Drake: "a combination of super meat boy, castlevania and flappy bird"  (Read 1088 times)
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:18:52 AM »

Description:
Lil' Drake is a challenging game in which you control a flying vampire by simply tapping any key.
You have to hit walls to change direction while avoiding deadly traps.
The game mechanics are both easy to learn and hard to master.
The prototype has been developed during Ludum Dare 33 and can be tested here:
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=18768

It ranked #18(4/5) for Fun and #70 in Overall ranking which are my personal best Smiley
It is also the #26 most rated game in this ludlum dare.
I already started to work on the full version: there will be skeletons, blobs, knights, dungeons, various deadly traps, possibly bosses and much more.
The final game will have about 100 handcrafted levels and probably an infinite mode.

Features:
- cute old-school NES-like graphics
- easy to learn, hard to master
- challenging game play

What LD33 players thought of it:

One of the best entries so far.. hard to put down. The levels are really well designed and the controls feel great. Throw some audio on this and I'd buy it! 5 stars in humor for having my dead corpses cut up again by the saws Wink - shawn42
-
Simple but incredibly catchy game! This is like brilliant combination super meat boy, flappy bird and castlevania. ... I can't believe i giving all 5 again XD - Druid
-
Best game i played so far and, trust me, i'm reaching 1 thousand of them! I would give it a 10/10 if it had music! Pls make more levels and share with the community, those mechanics are great! - Shina69
-
Excellent game here man! This is one of those games where it's difficult but fair. The mechanics are so simple, yet so deep at the same time. Overall, very good game. 5/5 - Dizzyman572
-
Extremely simple to pick up and play, brilliant use of perma-death and really cute vampire graphics. Great job! - Gamepopper
-
Still a better vampire story than twilight! - mat1er

Feel free to leave me a comment, I love it Smiley
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:56:25 AM by bombjack » Logged

bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 04:32:55 AM »

Ludum Dare 33 Post Mortem

What is the game about ?

It’s a frantic game in which you can only fly and hit walls to change direction while avoiding deadly traps.

What went right:

- Constraints: Since I knew I would only have around 1 day to make the game, I put some constraints on gameplay and art. I wanted the gameplay to be really, really simple. What could be more simple than pressing any key to fly ? As far as we were going to fly a lot I made the velocity better if we keep on flying. I soon realised that this simple mechanic could be highly enhanced by bumping on the walls.

I was working on a NES-inspired game when the contest started so I kept the same limitations for my entry: 3-4 colors per sprite and use my personal NES palette. I also tried to limit the sprite size to 16x16. These are very relaxed NES constrained but they work for me.

- CharacterController2D: This is an amazing class to start with animating a character. It saved me a lot of work and allowed me to have pixel precise controls.

- Looking at the classics: I had no idea about the look I wanted to give to the game so I went to Spriters Resource to search for art style. For the backgrounds and platforms, I’ve been heavily inspired by the Castlevania serie. And for the character I took a mix of several old games styles I liked.

- Reusing: Both code(less than 1%) and derived my own art from the project  I was working on. It really helped me to get it on time. I just took the basic character controller of the game I was working on and adapted it to be able to fly. As for the art: I derived a secondary character to create the vampire.

- Testing: I tested each levels a lot, I mean A LOT. It allowed me to create some pixel precise nightmare. So my advice would be: test, test, ... test and test again.

What went wrong:

- Time: As far as I’m dad of 3 wonderful children, I don’t have a lot of time to participate to LD. This time I knew I had less than 24h to work on it. Well, I could have had more time but I prefered to play with the kids Smiley .

I started by looking at the theme when I woke up and then…  worked on the art from 8 PM till midnight. On sunday I had something like 9-10 hours to work on the code and levels. Not much time.

- Diversity: I wanted to have 10 levels. That sounded like a good number. I ended up with only 2 trap types: pikes and saws. I should probably had better targeting less levels but add more traps and enemies diversity. Everything is a matter of time vs feature.

- Sound: I mostly play games without sound. That’s probably why I didn’t took time to add it to the game. It would have added a lot.

- Jam or Compo: As far I reused some code and art, I entered the Jam. But to be really honest I used around 20 lines of code and just derived personal art. Does it worth not entering the compo ? I don’t know. I worked alone. I strictly applied the rules but I felt like participating to the compo without being able to join it. What do you think ?

- The name: I still don’t know if I like it… I always find it hard to find name for the thing I do. I don’t know if it a good or bad name… what about Super Fly Drake ?... Does the name really matters?

Statistics:

Team: just me
Development time: +- 14h
Number of levels: 10
Development tools: Unity, Pixel Maker PRO, Aseprite, Pinta
Useful websites: spriters-resource.com, dafont.com

bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »

Just changed the title to see if it gets more interest ;p

lobstersteve
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:27:45 AM »

Tried the LD-version. It's pretty fun. Interesting concept Smiley I liked how the corpses still have physics attached to them and fall down when you open up some tiles with the key. hehe
Could probably use some more easy tutorial - like levels in the bigger version..
Also please don't call your name brilliant in the title. Let other people decide if it's brilliant. It's a devlog, not a promotional site after all Tongue
bombjack
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »

the brilliant came from a user feedback Smiley I removed it... it's better that way
And to be honest I didn't thought (at least consciously) of any of those game when I participated to LD.
Except Castlevania where I took inspiration for the background and platforms

lobstersteve
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »

yeah, i already guessed that it came from user feedback and not from you Smiley
..i'll keep an eye on this  Blink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic