Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:08:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpiritSphere [Release]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: SpiritSphere [Release]  (Read 17458 times)
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »

out now : http://store.steampowered.com/app/458170

It is time, for another devlog  Cool

My GBJam entry Dungeon of Trials had a pretty good response.

The pong-esque room was the most fun to work on, so I wanted to do something more with that.
I recently went to an arcade and played some air-hockey, somehow that stuck with me. So I want to go towards that direction.

I will be recycling and polishing up some of the assets from the GBJam, since I was pretty satisfied with them. This time I will go with an NES colour palette instead of the gameboy palette. I'm trying to stick to the limitations pretty close (3 colours per sprite/tile) but I might make some exceptions when deemed necessary.

Here's the mockups I have now.

This will be the forrest level, the grass will contain stuff like items, coins or mana when you break em. Some monsters might pop up too.

Not sure what I want to do in the dungeon level yet, but I wanted to re-do the tiles from the GBJam and play around with some color schemes. Looks like I didn't finish the corners, forgive me.

And I started on the recolor of the GBJam character and started on a second character.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:35:30 AM by Eendhoorn » Logged

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »

So here's what I have so far.

Movement and attacking is pretty much straight from the GBJam assets. But I added a dash, in the case of this character it is a roll. The other characters might have different dashing behaviors, I'm not sure if I want to differentiate the characters or keep it 100% skills based yet.

There's also some basic AI, mostly for playtesting purposes right now.
I also added a palette swap shader when selecting duplicate characters, so I don't have to recolour the entire spritehseet myself.

Somehow I feel like a vertical stage is better for the game, it feels like I predict where to align myself with the ball better. But this means I will have huge  black bars at the sides of the game window. I'm thinking of filling those up with all the UI stuff, score, special meter, stuff like that.

I will showcase some of my editor stuff later  Gentleman

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »

I worked a bit on a new move.

It's a charged move; you hold down the button to charge, and release to execute the move. When this move hits you have some control of the ball's knockback direction. Based on the duration of your charge you can curve the ball for a short time after the hit.

You cannot move while you are charging, so you have to predict the trajectory of the ball pretty precisely. It's a high risk - high reward kind of move. I think I might want to enable very slight movement on the player, as the risk of the ball going past you right now is pretty big.

Other than that, I've tweaked the ball's physics a bit. I'm pretty satisfied with the behaviour when you hit it, but I have to playtest to see which maximum speed would be best.
I'm not quite sure how the ball should react if the player simply bumps into it, or when a player is hit by the ball.

It's a real epic battle to manipulate unity's closed up collision response  Tongue

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 07:52:21 PM »

Dude, this looks awesome! Subbing!

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »

mhmm yup, very cool.

The gameboy zeldas are some of my favorite things ever so all of this goin on here has me like  Kiss

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »

mhmm yup, very cool.

The gameboy zeldas are some of my favorite things ever so all of this goin on here has me like  Kiss
That's exactly what I've been playing lately haha.

Thanks guys!

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »

As everyone's said, this is looking great. Are you planning to have the whole game be the sort of pong/zelda mashup, or is that just your current focus?
16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »

This already looks real solid, I'd love to play this game when it comes out!
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »

As everyone's said, this is looking great. Are you planning to have the whole game be the sort of pong/zelda mashup, or is that just your current focus?
It will just be the pong esque gameplay. I'm thinking about some challenges for a singleplayer mode, but the ball will always be present in some form.

I'm not sure how busy I will be, but I want to get something playable out in about a week so I can get some feedback from you guys  Beer!

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »

I made some art for spirits in the game. Somehow I always end up making too many females, so I'm not sure if I should go with the lizard or the girl. I'm pretty satisfied with the fire girl so she's hard to give up  Tongue

[edit]
I just did both, I feel like all the humanoids are a bit better.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:11:00 PM by Eendhoorn » Logged

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 04:26:24 AM »

Nice Zelda!

play hydlide 2
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »

Nice Zelda!
I don't know if that is a compliment or if you calling it a rip-off  Tears of Joy

I've tried working on some more playable characters. I have this warlock that I'm pretty satisfied with.

I'm trying to differentiate on the movement. So far I have the girl who walks on 2 legs, the dog walks on 4, and this guy flies.

I also tried a boss-type character. I kind of wanted a flying guy with a cape, but I can't quite pull it off. I have no clue what to do with the head mostly.

Using 3 colors is prety damn hard. Especially when the outline is already removing one of the colors  Shrug
I cheated on mermaid in my previous post, she has 4 colors, but I think I want to change her to 3 colors to keep the gameboy feel real.

16soft
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 07:43:28 PM »

Ever thought about adding bullets that would effect the ball like a sword swing? This would allow for more unique player characters, on top of the Zelda-like effect of swinging a charged shot and having a projectile come out.
yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

-snip-
So what would be the difference between the players? Would they have a wider/narrower swing radius or higher strength in hitting the ball? It looks really exciting so far, looking forward to more!

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »

Ever thought about adding bullets that would effect the ball like a sword swing? This would allow for more unique player characters, on top of the Zelda-like effect of swinging a charged shot and having a projectile come out.
Yes I have, but it would be pretty unbalanced. A big gameplay factor right now is wether you want to move to the center of the map to increase your offense, sacrificing your defense because it will be harder to block incoming shots.
Having a character with projectiles would remove the risk.
I could balance it out by decreasing that character's other abilities though.

-snip-
So what would be the difference between the players? Would they have a wider/narrower swing radius or higher strength in hitting the ball? It looks really exciting so far, looking forward to more!
I'm still thinking about keeping it 100% skill based by keeping all the characters the same, or if I differentiate on their stats like you mention.

I want to solidify the foundation of the gameplay before I experiment. It's probably wise to make some different level setups too, so I can keep that into account when I play with character stats and abillities  Beer!
Ot

BadIdeas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »

Wow that reminds me of Cave Noire on gameboy.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 06:00:58 PM »

Wow that reminds me of Cave Noire on gameboy.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Had never heard of the game looks pretty cool.

I decided that the black bars at the side of the screen were just to plain ugly.
Now I'm using the space to show an audience.

The audience reacts to the game, I have to see if it isn't too distracting though. I purposely didn't give them any animations, to convey that gameboy feel. What do you guys think about that, does it add charm or is it just too primitive?

Did some other polish, some graphical effects, and players and the ball move towards the starting point after a goal.
I will continue to work on polish, I want to remove the score-ui with something in-game.

I will also need to make a main menu and character select before I release a playable thing. I want to get all those last-minute rush things out of the way early this project  Shrug

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »

I don't think its too distracting, but maybe tone down the jump height and speed a little--right now it seems like they might explode.
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »

I don't think its too distracting, but maybe tone down the jump height and speed a little--right now it seems like they might explode.
Yeah you're right, I might have to tweak it a bit.

I wanted to add some kind of confetti effect when a goal has been made. but I'm challenging myself not to break the setting. So now sparkles come out of the ball whenever a goal is made.
I also made a dialogue box which you can see briefly when a goal has been made.

Almost all the polish for a basic playable version is in now, so I'm moving on to some UI stuff.
I've tried making a logo. but my art skills just cannot handle anything bigger than 32x32  Cry

It's still wip, but I feel like many things about the trail and the perspective of the sword are incorrect.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 04:03:48 PM »

Somehow every sword I draw ends up looking like the master sword. Damn  brains.  Droop

This was totally not what I was going for, but I kind of like the right one. It's out of style with the rest of the game though Sad

I might try something more abstract and otherwise I'll pick one of these for now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic