Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:06:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionEliminH8 - The Tunnel (now with demo)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: EliminH8 - The Tunnel (now with demo)  (Read 9764 times)
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »

Perhaps just EliminH8, or just the Tunnel. I am not that good with names. Anyway, the fabulous story is that of:
You are a pixel, living life so wonderfully in your bitmap world. Then suddenly, you are beaten by this weird thing made up of lines and awaken inside a weird world, a world of lines, inside vehicle, a vehicle speeding down a tunnel towards certain doom. Will you be able to blast your enemies, avoid the obstacles and finally exit this nightmare?

Or something. I am not that good with stories either. The game will be something in the style of Eliminator but in vectorish graphics. I started adapting my OpenGL 2D engine towards 3D and will hopefully soon have my first screenshot.

Edit:
First build:
EliminH8.zip

Control the ship with arrow keys and shoot with space. Escape pauses. If you destroy an entire group of enemies your cockpit flashes yellow and you either get better control or higher rate of fire. The ship is destroyed after 3 hits, and you have 3 lives. Avoid destruction.

I've noticed an occasional bug, sometimes the screen turns completely white (but the game continues running) - press escape to pause to fix it. I think I know why this happens, so I should be able to fix it.

Comments and critique is very much welcome.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:27:48 AM by ras » Logged
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »

Behold, the first screenshot:

Glorious glorious lines! I've been working on some weird blur thing that looks pretty good, but it looks better in motion.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »

that does look not un-nice ;P

how are you doing the blur?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »

Could you change the compo icon to this thread?

ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:32:06 AM »

that does look not un-nice ;P

how are you doing the blur?

Well, every 0.066 (or something) seconds I copy the view to a texture (which is half the size of the view) and append it to an array of textures. When I draw them, I draw the last image append with strongest opacity and the others with falling opacity. So it is like some kind of motion blur or something.

BTW, I've just made a .3ds converter to my internal format, soon there will be a HUD! And perhaps enemies, or at least projectiles.
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »

Could you change the compo icon to this thread?
Yeah, sorry, I am new to this.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »

I always enjoy graphics that reminds me of Vectrix or Tron. I'm looking forward to see what more you'll make of this Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »

No enemies but a cockpit and shooting:

Next will be enemies and collision detection.
fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »

will you be able to move between a number of lanes, or freely back and forth?

I have mooselike reflexes
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »

will you be able to move between a number of lanes, or freely back and forth?
Freely left, right, up and down. That is the plan anyway. I am perhaps thinking of having it be on the ground but you can jump glide or something, but I think it might be harder to make it fun that way.
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:40 PM »

Beware, enemies:

The enemies have shadows, but it's just a test. The idea is that it might make it easier to aim, but I don't think it really does any difference. They kind of look nice though.

I can now make models in Sketchup and convert them with my converter, it's a pretty easy setup Smiley

Collision detection is almost half way or something, it sort of works, but sometimes acts pretty unexpectedly, so making it work better is my next plan, but unfortunately first there is sleep and school...
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 04:30:29 PM »

Seriously, this is looking really good! Video?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Fuzz
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »

Looking really good! I suggest you call it The Tunnel.
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

Collision detection is more or less working now, and collision response as well (polygons flying to the left and right)
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 03:03:37 AM »

I am glad at the appearance of several wireframe vector games in this competition! This looks really nice, too.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 03:14:04 AM »

Beware, enemies:

The enemies have shadows, but it's just a test. The idea is that it might make it easier to aim, but I don't think it really does any difference. They kind of look nice though.

I can now make models in Sketchup and convert them with my converter, it's a pretty easy setup Smiley

Collision detection is almost half way or something, it sort of works, but sometimes acts pretty unexpectedly, so making it work better is my next plan, but unfortunately first there is sleep and school...

You should give me that converter Tongue

ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »

New screenshot:

Updates:
New color system makes the color transitions look nice
Enemies move all pretty now (wave sine)
Player has health and lives
Cockpit flashes red when you get hit
Players rate of fire and speed slightly increases when it kills a "group" of enemies, also the cockpit flashes yellow. I will probably instead make them drop powerups that you need to catch.

Video should come soon, but my internet connection is really slow, so it might take awhile...

About the converter, perhaps if someone is interested after I post the first build or so.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 07:46:37 AM »

Oooh, it's like a 3D Geometry Wars! Nice colours.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
ras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »

Bad news on that video thing, I am not used to making videos so they look bad and take up too much space for my measly internet connection. There is some good news though, I am instead of a video working on releasing a build. I am going to implement some new kind of enemy or something to spice things up and make the difficulty increase over time and then I will release it.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »

These vector entries are tempting me to ditch my realistic space sim for some game where you just randomly blow up a bunch of floating tetrahedrons.

Looks pretty awesome!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic