Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:24:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Anyone use Java?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Anyone use Java?  (Read 2466 times)
NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:11:41 AM »

You never seem to hear much about people using Java nowadays (C++ seems to be the dominate language). Does anyone here use Java for something relating to gamedev?

Note: These assumptions come from my ~2 days on this forum, so they're probably wrong  Wink
EtmosCode
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:18:29 AM »

I do! I am not the only one. There are a lot of us over at JGO. (Not sure if I'm allowed to link that forum...but you can google it. 5th result down) Java is my favorite language, so that was my incentive to make a game in that language.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:26:08 AM »

Nothing wrong with using Java. It just hasn't taken off like some other languages. LWJGL was a fine framework the last time I used it.

Shashwah
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »

People like the speed of C++, it's definitely a bonus that it's a compiled language but Java has it's own uses as what it is.
Java is a lot more forgiving, making it much easier to learn how to use it and makes it easier to fix everything when you flip up and things break.
I've dabbled in both, mostly C++ but I will say for someone learning how to use Java or who just wants to get into game dev I really recommend Java but anything larger or much more complicated I would recommend trying out C++, it's a lot harsher but it'll definitely teach you a lot about how programs work and how much you have to think about when it comes to saving memory and things like that.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:27:42 AM »

Java is the most used programming language, generally.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2015-top-ten-programming-languages

I think it's fairly big in gamedev as well, because of Android. But I don't have any numbers.

Java has always been my main language, but I'm looking for a way out because of how Oracle is trying to ruin it (and all of programming). Weirdly enough, Microsoft's C# is starting to look like the lesser evil. As a language C# seems nicer, and against my better judgment I may actually have to trust Microsoft's ability to handle open source stuff (despite their horrendous track record)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:34:04 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 03:16:01 AM »

java is used here and there in gamedev, a lot more on mobile (thx, libgdx Kiss ). it's actually plenty fast for most use cases.

but, yeah, like Dacke said, Oracle has been persistently trying to sink their own ship...
with that being said, java is used everywhere, and will still be around for quite some time.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 03:29:25 AM »

Java for me is a language for writing applications, not games. Tongue

But of course, Android is Java-based. That's quite something. My only Android game was still C++ bound to Java tho. Roll Eyes

NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:33:10 AM »

But of course, Android is Java-based. That's quite something. My only Android game was still C++ bound to Java tho. Roll Eyes

I assume there was some JNI going on behind the scenes. Did you do it yourself or did you use a preexisting framework for it?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 04:29:43 AM »

Wasn't Minecraft programmed in Java?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 05:06:47 AM »

It is indeed. Back in the day you could play it as a Java applet in the browser.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 05:11:45 AM »

Yep, remember that, good ol' times.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 06:36:27 AM »

Java is the most used programming language, generally.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2015-top-ten-programming-languages

I think it's fairly big in gamedev as well, because of Android. But I don't have any numbers.

Java has always been my main language, but I'm looking for a way out because of how Oracle is trying to ruin it (and all of programming). Weirdly enough, Microsoft's C# is starting to look like the lesser evil. As a language C# seems nicer, and against my better judgment I may actually have to trust Microsoft's ability to handle open source stuff (despite their horrendous track record)

Their track record lately has been quite good. Just remember they are really like 16 companies :D

IIRC they don't really own the C# language itself. It's an ECMA thing (although the more you dive into the specifics the more confusing it gets).

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 03:36:48 AM »

I assume there was some JNI going on behind the scenes. Did you do it yourself or did you use a preexisting framework for it?
Yeah. I used SDL 2.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 04:17:17 AM »

Their track record lately has been quite good. Just remember they are really like 16 companies :D

Hm, yeah, which is why I'm considering trusting them. But there is always that risk that a more evil part of the monster will decide to eat the good parts. Microsoft has a tendency to promise big things and then completely ditch or corrupt old projects. Microsoft also has a terrible track record with respecting established standards, so C# kind of being standardized isn't necessarily a good guarantee. As soon as they have a dominant position they love to move away from standardization/compatibility in order to get a lock-in on people. But Oracle is much worse at the moment anyway, so, blerghblergh.

NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 04:22:40 AM »

[...]

But Oracle is much worse at the moment anyway, so, blerghblergh.

This. I tend to look over Oracle's crap unless it influences how programmer program (hah, tiny alliteration there). If their CEO woke up tomorrow and said "Hm. Today seems like a good day to get rid of ints and make people use longs from now on.", of course I'd be incredibly pissed. Hopefully they won't pull something like than anytime soon, but you never know..
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 04:25:32 AM »

They have decided that APIs should be copyrightable, which can seriously ruin all of programming for everyone forever.

For example, using C in the US may be illegal at this very moment, because the specification/API belongs to Bell Labs.

Oracle has also messed up the development of Java as a language, making community representatives resign in disgust. Which will likely lead to a poor development of the language.

NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 04:42:24 AM »

They have decided that APIs should be copyrightable, which can seriously ruin all of programming for everyone forever.

For example, using C in the US may be illegal at this very moment, because the specification/API belongs to Bell Labs.

Oracle has also messed up the development of Java as a language, making community representatives resign in disgust. Which will likely lead to a poor development of the language.

Oh goodness. I wish Sun had kept Java, at least they knew how to develop it and not screw over applets and Google.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:24:14 AM by NoOneSpecial » Logged
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 01:30:14 PM »

Yeah. I used SDL 2.

I don't mean to derail, but how hard was it to wire that up with JNI, ADK and everything? Like, what was your environment and flow? Is any of it open sourced?

I'm keen to try my hand at a mobile SDL2 game but my experience with the Android toolchain hints that it's a pretty deep rabbit-hole.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
moomat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »

Just to pipe in re the OP: Our game, Junk E.T., is written in Java, and frankly we love it. We're using Libgdx as a framework, and there's hardly anything negative I'd say about Java or Libgdx for game development. Although I also sometimes program in C++ and I am somewhat in favor of C++'s capabilities, there are a lot of great things about Java that make it great especially for beginning game programmers.

Although people tend to think you don't really have to worry about memory management in Java, and although I suppose you could write code in that way, smart programmers are still conscious of what memory they're using and how, so that's a bit of misnomer about Java, IMO anyways.

I think a lot of people (myself included at times) think of C/C++ as "man's" languages because they are a bit more labor intensive in terms of how you deal with memory and all that, but there's something to be said about the beauty of a virtual machine doing a lot of the heavy lifting for you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:37:19 PM by moomat » Logged

Check out Junk E.T. at junketgame.com

Halogen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 01:59:08 PM »

While I've been programming in Java for just over four weeks (a.k.a. hardly even programming yet) I do plan to use it for my future game making. It is versatile, and it is used in android development, so that's a pretty nice plus. I'm using it because of the portability and the android use availability, as I'm an android person. Also, if I ever wanted to switch to a more game industry-oriented language (C++) they're both OOP languages, so the transition wouldn't be terribly difficult. I do think it's a used language, just perhaps not as often or as vocally as C++ in gaming arenas.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic