Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:36:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Half HD graphics for mobile?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Half HD graphics for mobile?  (Read 686 times)
G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2015, 04:30:40 AM »

Has anyone made a mobile game where you use HD graphics for some but not all of your assets?

I started making a game a long time ago and targeted it for 480 x 800 resolution which was fairly standard for Android at the time. But now 1920 x 1080 (and above) is fairly common and some of my art looks quite bad on these new devices. I was thinking about upscaling all my assets but this means a huge increase in disk / memory requirement (Quadruple). I want the game to be playable on older phones.

So I'm thinking about a compromise; only upscale things that look especially bad or things the player looks at all the time such as the hero character. In your opinion is this an acceptable route to go?

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:52 AM »

yeah, i think it's normal for background assets to be lower resolution, that's just good optimization. The best optimization is the kind you don't notice.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:14:23 AM »

Thanks for the reply,

I should mention that my game is 2d. I think for 3d, you can just optimise based on how far away things are from the camera. For example trees/mountains in the background can be super low poly/resolution.

But 2d is different? If a texture doesn't have enough pixel density and is stretched it starts to look blury/pixelated (depending on filtering mode). For example a 256 texture stretched to 512 is just as blurry as a 512 stretched to 1024.

But I think I'll just upscale textures on a case by case basis anyway Smiley

Cheers

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 03:25:23 AM »

You could add an option to scale the graphics to the HD versions with an enlargement routine for pixel art that tries to smooth out the art whilst making it bigger. There are a few out there if you google. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic