Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:21:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsIn need of staff!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: In need of staff!  (Read 1784 times)
aMurderofScarecrows
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »

Alright, so this is weird I guess. I'm a new game dev. Never made a game before, and I am not skilled or even versed in the usual things that go into games. Besides being a gamer who does pixel art some times I can't say I'm that good. But I have lots of ideas and visions on what to do to make a good game.
It's a rather large randomly generated space rogue like. In the vain of FTL but there are so  many things that you can't compare more than a few things. It's pixel art based. Please message me back if you're interested. I can't say I can pay you until a kik starter is up, or the game sells.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:53 PM »

Wow been quite a few years since I've seen a post like this.

Conker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 01:27:36 PM »

I'm sure this is just a joke thread
NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »

From what I've seen over at JGO, they get loads of this stuff. Makes me feel pity for them.  Droop
aMurderofScarecrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »

It's not a joke thread. I'm really passionate about this, and I do feel bad not being able to pay anyone for their work. But I want to do this, but I can't myself. I have great ideas I want to put into the gaming scene, unfortunately I've tried to do  coding and everything but never really works out well
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »

I have great ideas

No you don't. View it like a Dunning/Kruger effect - you never tried realizing one of your ideas, so you don't even know what problems you'll encounter, or you never experienced why some ideas don't work.

So stop looking for people (for the moment) and get a simple game maker to make the first steps.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:08:32 PM »

I have great ideas

No you don't. View it like a Dunning/Kruger effect - you never tried realizing one of your ideas, so you don't even know what problems you'll encounter, or you never experienced why some ideas don't work.

So stop looking for people (for the moment) and get a simple game maker to make the first steps.

^ This.
Conker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

Maybe you do have ideas but I seriously doubt they're worthy of what you believe they are. You can't be an idea guy with video games if you don't know how to build them. Its good to learn from your countless mistakes you make as you develop your games.  

What you need to do is download game maker studio's free version and start playing with the ideas you have. (OR EVEN SIMPLER IDEAS!) I recommend game maker because it doesn't take much to learn how it works. Its a pretty good tool and can make a lot of cool 2d things. There are a lot of great resources for GM as well.

Nobody will work for you and your idea unless you have money to compensate them. You will need to either save some money to hire a team, OR learn how to make your own stuff. I recommend the latter.

And your first projects will be trash, don't worry about that. You might even fail 100 times. I want to say "Just keep going" but I can't say that because I haven't worked on a game in so long..

Anyways good luck with your choices! I hope you decide to make a video game.
aMurderofScarecrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »

Thing is I have tried. A lot, and I  have tried to do a lot of my ideas, but they never work out due to my novice skills. I've tried a rudimentary version of the game but it was all for not,  due to not being able to make a game in the slightest. Some people have thought the ideas and mechanics I wanted to implement was good enough to sign on for free work until it's completion and we are able to sell the game.Thank you for the mostly positive feedback
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »

I've tried a lot. For like 20 years. Every time I get a bit better though.

Conker
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »

What is trying to you

because I spent over a year making something that failed but I never look back at that project and call it a failure. I would have never learned from that project unless I made it.

I spent so much time teaching myself how to make things work with the help of the community here and GMC (game maker community). I really expanded my knowledge on game art during it as well.

You haven't tried yet because if you really did try you would of realized you can make things yourself.

https://www.yoyogames.com/studio/download

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3251.0
aMurderofScarecrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:02:46 PM »

I'm ok at programming and coding to make a mario level. But the art is where I stop. And for what I want to do, I just can't do it alone. And it's not a matter of me trying, it's just one person doing everything I envision would be impossible
Canned Turkey
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »

If I can do it without formal training you can too.
This stuff takes years of effort and is not for someone without a strong work ethic, and by this stuff I'm including being a lead designer or whatever you want to do.

it's just one person doing everything I envision would be impossible

Then scale down.
Conker
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »

and then scale it down again

its still probably going to be to big

game dev is hard
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »

The skills to make a simple mario level are enough to get you quite far so, what are you trying to make that you don't see a way to move on from there on your own?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 02:56:20 AM »

From what I've seen over at JGO, they get loads of this stuff. Makes me feel pity for them.  Droop
What's JGO?

NoOneSpecial
Level 0

Who? Me?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 03:33:10 AM »

What's JGO?

The Java-gaming.org forums. I used to lurk around there a bit.
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

Anything at the scope of FTL is scoped too high for your first game, remember that FTL was made by experienced ex-2K developers. I suggest you watch

and get a prototype done before continuing on any design docs.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 01:16:29 PM »

just one person doing everything I envision would be impossible

...so multiple people doing everything you envision is...what, exactly? Not likely, that's for sure. All of us here (and everywhere else) have our own "great ideas" and only so much time to spend on them.

You say you're a novice. Practice. Get better. Demonstrate your great ideas with a prototype and maybe you'll garner interest. Or on the flip side, find someone else's team to join. No one wants to follow a newb. See also: https://github.com/Cheezmeister/gf-sticky/blob/master/README.md#q-does-anyone-want-to-help-program-this-game

Sorry if the responses here come off harsh, but that's the reality of game dev. It's not for the faint of heart.

On a lighter note welcome to TIGSource! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
aMurderofScarecrows
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »

I'm a novice at making an actual game, but not putting things in motion to where they should be. Usually the people that made great things had help from some one else. Hell, Steve Jobs was just the idea guy. He barely had anything to do with actually making it.
My point is, I just need a couple of people to do a specific job. A graphic design artist and an animator preferably in one.
A programmer and a coder again preferably in one.
I have my own sound guy, and I don't need more than that at the moment, but it's not like I'd make everyone do everything for me. I'd have hands on, constantly working with them. Taking their ideas and putting it in the game, and no comment here seems harsh, aside from one. I take this criticism very happily
I understand it's a far fetched idea, I just hope the idea of my game and what I want to make, is good enough for people to sign on and help out of..some sort of I don't know... Point is, I am not asking anyone to follow me as if I'm their leader, just wanting to make a game, an idea that sounds really good to multiple people, to the point they actually wanna make it is what I'm after.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic