Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:07:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignRTS Tutorial (Teaching players to play your game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RTS Tutorial (Teaching players to play your game)  (Read 1167 times)
IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »

This is *not* a thread about how to create an RTS. The subject is how to approach writing a tutorial for your players.

As game designers and creators, we know how to play our games. But it is amazing what happens when a new player tries it out. They are lost. They have no idea what to do, or even why they should do it.

I recently had this experience with my game XenoBloom. But it is a very unique sort of game. I went thru several versions of a tutorial, but ended up scrapping it, and just going with a "hints" button. We'll see how that goes over with the general public when the games hits steam...

Anyway, I'm working on an RTS now, and I'm compiling some tutorial text. But the problem is how and when to trigger that text. I want to use the existing game engine, which allows players freedom. But the tutorial is presented in a step-by-step way.

What would you do? What would you suggest? What obvious thing am I not thinking of?

IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 08:57:31 AM »

Well, as an update, I have started.

Here's my overall plan:

1. use the existing game engine, with the least amount of modification.
2. the tutorial will be a mostly-predetermined-game.
3. each "tutorial message" has an "exit condition", that, once met, you will get the next message.
4. sometimes the ex con is just "time passes", sometimes it's very specific.

Some examples:
(format: step number, text, exit condition)
Now what? Take over the galaxy! But how? Build ships! Play for a while, see what you can do.
`
OK, things are about to get crazy. You need to either destroy or invade all of your enemy's planets. Research all the technology you can, then we'll build more ships.
`

Exit condition "99" is just "wait 10 seconds". but 1012 is
If (all_planets_are_colonized OR Treaty="Open War")

whenever these conditions are met, you get the next tutorial message.

I'm coding it now, we'll see how it turns out Smiley

sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »

very related, a great video about designing the tutorial of plants vs zombies.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015541/How-I-Got-My-Mom

IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »

Hey, yeah, I checked that out last weekend. definitely a good resource.
unfortunately, it's not geared toward my situation.

that talk is for games that have a linear progression, and are not really meant to be started over.

My game by its nature will be started many times, but I certainly don't the player to have to play the tutorial every time.

thanks though, it's a good talk.

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »

Hey, yeah, I checked that out last weekend. definitely a good resource.
unfortunately, it's not geared toward my situation.

that talk is for games that have a linear progression, and are not really meant to be started over.

My game by its nature will be started many times, but I certainly don't the player to have to play the tutorial every time.

thanks though, it's a good talk.

Have you thought about making multiple smaller maps, limiting availability of tech and units that focus on the basics of your game? Then finally put it all together in the full map with all features? Another option is to do it all in the same map, just limit parts of the map until the player progresses. For instance, to build a simple unit that can destroy a wall which opens the next area. Ultimately your design should not be so hard that you have to explain everything in it to the player. Its OK for the player to learn by playing, not be overwhelmed with the amount of information they need right from the start. Especially if its a play again from the start kind of game, you want them to learn as they play and want to start again with a new plan. Hope this helps!

IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »

yeah, what I've finally done (after several weeks) is to break it up into a "basic" and "advanced" tutorial. The basic covers the really simple stuff, and gives the player a big headstart. the advanced covers more detailed options, and is harder, but obviously draws on what you've already learned.

After playing both of these tutorials, the player is free to play the game however they want.

I think it works fairly well for what is needed. But I need to pass it on to a few players, so I can get feedback on how to make it better / more "playable" / understandable, before I can really release a good public demo.

Thanks for the interaction here.

IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »

(copy-posted (pasted) from my devlog)

ok, so I *really* need to finalize my demo, so I'm looking for feedback on my "Pre-Demo". yep.

So please, if you're reading this, download my "pre-demo" and give me some feedback!

is it too easy, too hard, too obvious, too opaque, too this, too that?

[NO LONGER AVAILABLE]

update: Public Demo Freely Available
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:45:02 AM by IBOL17 » Logged

DerangedMind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 01:39:59 PM »

I tried downloading your pre-demo so that I could take a look, but I got a 404. :-/ Wanna make sure that it's set to public? :-)
IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:46:22 AM »

Hey, thanks for trying, I took that down a while ago, because the real  public demo  is now available.

But see next post for version 2:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:44:18 PM by IBOL17 » Logged

IBOL17
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »

ok, the new demo version 2 is available for download now from IndieDB:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/not-your-space/downloads/not-your-space-demo-2

And you can see how I handled the tutorial for this type of game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic