Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:34:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIndustrial Petting - 3D automation game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Industrial Petting - 3D automation game  (Read 5637 times)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 12:39:24 AM »

Page turn.

looks great! making the assets is probably a lot of work?
the white box area looks like it is outside of the normal triangular setup, is that a test?
The white squares are currently placeholder stuff, I've been playing around with having certain inputs on blocks only take certain items i.e., if you're building a Whatnot, and it needs a Foo and a Bar, then one of those inputs will show the Foo icon, and the other will show the Bar. I may not keep that.

Doing the modeling+mapping+texturing has been taking around 3-4 hours for each shape so far, but I'm getting faster.

I'm really happy about the triangular textures, gives everything a really interesting look.

How is it done? Is the texture real big in resolution containing lots of square pixels per triangle? Or did you find amore clever solution?
The way the triangle textures work is via a custom shader that changes how unity does texture sampling. Instead of square texels, it reinterprets the texture coordinates to make triangles. The actual texture is pretty low-res, each of those triangles on the blocks is a single texel. Here's what the factory texture looks like, complete with test patterns in the corners:

Will you add hexagonal holes instead in the future?

I like the textures, very unique!

Not really sure what you mean by hexagonal holes...
Tomorrow I'll probably have another build uploaded w/ more art, and you can see for yourself what's going on.

I mean the black hexagons for the input and output of material could look more like tubes if you alter the model for the machines. And i was wondering if you have machine models in mind.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 12:43:41 AM »

I love automation games. Any plans for a Linux build?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

I mean the black hexagons for the input and output of material could look more like tubes if you alter the model for the machines. And i was wondering if you have machine models in mind.

Ah yeah, now I see what you're talking about. That's a good way to make it much clearer what are connections and what aren't....

I'll be doing a linux build for sure; Unity has been pretty good at having linux builds Just Work, in my experience.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »

Pew pew pew. One month later, tons of work done. Entirely new UI, whole set of things to actually build and work for, a fully functioning research system + tech tree, etc. etc.

Still very much alpha art + design, but far more interesting to play right now. Builds are updated on the link. Going to be working on a tutorial soon, so that people can actually figure out how to play the thing.

Download it and take a look! (Links are on page1)

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »

Tutorials!

Or rather, tutorial. Got a basic tutorial system up and running, which means people may actually be able to play this game without me sitting on their shoulder, helping them.

Builds on page 1 are updated, and any feedback on the first 5-10 mins would be appreciated!

Also, currently uploading linux build, will edit that in......

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 03:51:50 AM »

Rewrote a bunch of the inventory code and dealing with all the enjoyable bugginess now.

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »

Finally decided on a name a few weeks ago. Industrial Petting

Design pets and sell them to the masses! Gotta make sure those manufacturing processes are all working, though.

Here's an image of a super early-game pet you might make, after unlocking the first pet bits.

He's adorable.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »

Ooh I so much hoped for meat processing or at least food processing Smiley

BTW "petting" as a loanword has sexual connotations in many languages.
anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »

Don't worry, I'm totally aware of the connotations, and I'm happy it works in other languages besides english. :p

I considered doing something like food/meat processing, but I think the idea of having pets that people can design is far more sellable/streamer friendly. It's also just a lot of fun.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »

Don't worry, I'm totally aware of the connotations, and I'm happy it works in other languages besides english. :p
Ah ok Smiley

I considered doing something like food/meat processing, but I think the idea of having pets that people can design is far more sellable/streamer friendly. It's also just a lot of fun.
I see. I think meat processing might be a bit more controversial and lead to more news/curiosity. I once thought about making a human meat processing game because of this assumption (a poor alien buys earth on the intergalactic version of ebay to make finally a fortune with yummy human meat Wink)...

Anyway, good luck!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:15:29 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »

I said I wouldn't ignore this devlog, and I did anyway. Going to just be pushing updates on itch. Whole lot more colorful than it used to be!

Download it now!

anotheryeti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »

Just posted a new build on itch. Has progression and things now.

Currently working on more reference materials and early game friendliness.

anotheryeti.itch.io/industrial-petting

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic