Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:50:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51579 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 03:57:59 AM »

To be fair, genocide mode has the best boss fight in the game. That makes it all worth it I think.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 07:07:13 AM »

There's now an official forum: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/RadDog/undertale

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 01:35:28 PM »

Best boss fight is tough competition - the boss fights for neutral and pacifist are also both great for completely different reasons, and all the mid-game boss fights have quirks that make them individually fun to play.

The trigger conditions for Genocide are pretty great. It's not a mode you can trigger passively just by killing what monsters you meet - you have to intentionally go back and grind monsters, at a gradually decreasing encounter rate, to start the mode. Even if you happen to start genocide by chance you have to show you're committed to it, and the game makes that harder and harder through the new dialogue that makes it quite clear that what you are doing is terrible.

It's a pretty great contrast to other games like Pathologic that use the player's misery as a mechanic. In a game like Pathologic, if the oppressive atmosphere gets to be too much you stop playing. In Undertale, if the oppressive atmosphere gets to be too much you just give up on Genocide and play another path, and the contrast between the paths gives it more significance.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »

dogsong.mp3

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 04:40:57 AM »

The hype machine rolleth
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 06:49:46 AM »

Bear in mind that most of the other games on that list have, on average, about 48 reviews to balance the score. I really hope Undertale keeps it's position at the top, though. It's such a rare treat of a game.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 06:58:06 AM »

probably not but whow cares about metacritic scores anyway
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »

the game industry

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »

Plenty of great games have bad Metacritic scores, e.g.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 08:55:56 AM »

the game industry

ya but that because da gam industry is dum
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »

Dude achieved success and he deserves it. Let's applaud him and wait for Undertale+ 3D for the New 3DS.
brimby
Level 0

Oh hi Mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »

The score is deserved. I mean, maybe not quite a 97, but definitely this is a solid A game. And I love that it pulls that off with such minimal (read: ugly) graphics.

It's the first game that I actually followed through and made a second playthrough video for, and will probably make the third one tomorrow. Here's the playlist of the two vids if anyone wants to see how the game works. I do mostly pacifist, but I occasionally kill people by accident lol: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgJSQefEEdNJVGa1cS9jcOPKWI0Mh7Hku

I'm a reasonable man; get off my case.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 08:44:15 PM »

The game is weird in that it actually is so complexly laid out that if you kill only one named character in the game, that can affect a shitload of stuff later and especially what dialogue you get at the end.

It's also weird in that it tracks shitloads of information outside of the save points. Once you find out that it's saving constantly (and even tracks some things in your PC's registry to keep you from just removing save files and expecting a clean slate) you might find yourself within a situation where characters are remarking on the fact that, say, you died to them, you killed them and reloaded, or any multitude of things. It's really quite impressive that you have this insane Chrono Trigger-like multiple ending system going on, and that it affects even your later runs.

I haven't felt this happy to be playing something in a long while. I've never found myself giggling so much, then wanting to cry because things got super sappy. And that battle system is absolutely astounding. I wish more RPG games gave such an incredibly engaging and such a skill-centric way to handle enemy encounters.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »

This game is cool

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »

got gifted a copy of this and am playing now against my initial plans. idk if it's my "thing" yet but i can tell why ppl like it. it has really nice character interactions and dialog which is rare in rpgs. i'm actually interested in the reading the dialog (in 90% of games i just want to skip it).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »

i accidentally killed toriel bc i didn't realize u could spare her. rip in peace

long ago had idea for a gam about shit affecting other shit in oblique ways that wasnt that different from what this gam does. except my idea was systems driven.

i have literally no idea if i actually like this gam btw but its definitely interesting.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:17:32 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 03:17:52 PM »

same Sad

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »

tbh the whole thing with oblique consequences for stuff actually makes the game less enjoyable for me. im afraid of trying things bc i fear the game will judge me. i mean it's super impressive how much it actually tracks and it feels really "alive" as a result, but it also makes me uneasy playing it. maybe that's the intended effect though??
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »

The game really needs a minimum of two full playthroughs to experience it. I did the same as you on my first run, and IMO it made the second run way more interesting.

And yes, the game very definitely wants you to feel uneasy for your inability to escape some consequences.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »

tbh the whole thing with oblique consequences for stuff actually makes the game less enjoyable for me. im afraid of trying things bc i fear the game will judge me. i mean it's super impressive how much it actually tracks and it feels really "alive" as a result, but it also makes me uneasy playing it. maybe that's the intended effect though??

That's EXACTLY how you should feel with this game. I mean, granted, the only way to totally taint a save is to kill as many random encounters as possible and all bosses, but you have to actually know that and attempt it specifically. if you do one or two things you'll actually be okay, and each playthrough won't have any issues from doing that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic