Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:57:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGASPERS JOURNEY 3: RIZE OF THE BLOOD DUCK
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GASPERS JOURNEY 3: RIZE OF THE BLOOD DUCK  (Read 571 times)
JonathanDaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »

Link:http://daar.itch.io/gaspers-journey-3-rize-of-the-blood-duck

"Blood is constantly dribbling out of your duck head.You can't stop the blood from leaking out! But you can with the action button hold your mouth closed, building the blood up in your beak, expanding and then releasing to force your shots forward. More charge=more damage and size but also less distance, UNTIL your mouth fills up beyond bursting and blood squirts everywhere."

I've spent too much time being afraid to post my stuff on the internet. It's time to share one of my games.

Feedback, lay it on me guys. Nobody's played this game but me.
post your credit screen results. 
Is the tutorial lacking? The introduction too fast paced?
Did you prefer turbo-normal or chill-hard? Which do you think should be the default mode?
What difficulty feels right to you?
Unlimited lives or limited?
Do you wish bosses had more hp?
Is the default music settings too low or too high?
enjoyed the game and just want to boost my fragile self esteem by sharing your favorite parts? Well, hello there!
LAY IT ON ME

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:44:01 AM by JonathanDaar » Logged
JonathanDaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 05:33:47 PM »

http://jonathandaar.com/index/a-guide-to-gasper/ I've updated game a couple of times, lots of stability stuff and
I buffed up the guide by adding animated gif's and reorganizing its layout a bit.
RudlyDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »

I've only got to the tutorial, and I love it.

I love the flash game feel of it, the ridiculous story, the art style, the homemade sounds and the intro is  Cheesy. Will post when I get further.
BB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »

I enjoyed this a lot and I normally don't play these bullet hell type games. It was silly but great.

Couple of things though. It feels like the different attacks aren't worth the time spent powering them up. The arrow attack is nice especially on the snails or the duck guards but in almost situation it was better to just spam spacebar. Killing the duck on the plank on the tower took me a few tries before I realized how to actually hit him which was a little annoying.

Other than that, it was fun! A little repetitive in the music and sounds, since most monsters dying made the same noise. Also, should I have been able to kill the wizard duck or was that a teaser for the next game? Smiley
http://imgur.com/6BvMtum
RudlyDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »

Ok, I've only played a bit after the tutorial, but this game looks great!

I love the mechanic of dripping off your health, and using the blood as a projectile!

I think you should put less enemies on screen in the level after the tutorial, it was very overwhelming (but then again, maybe that's what you intended).

I like the design of the sprites, but I think the (what I assume are) frogs could use a revamp. Very derpy (but then again, maybe that's what you intended).

I give this game 2 quacks & a goldfish/10  Wink
JonathanDaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:59:02 AM »

Wow! Thank you guys! I am so glad you like it! Thank you for playing my game and giving fantastic feedback! I made some updates in response to your suggestions!

to both of you
Did you prefer turbo-normal or chill-hard? Which do you think should be the default mode?
I've had trouble deciding this as I like them both, and its hard for me to say which one is more welcoming for newcomers.

Bb- I don't normally like bullet hell games either. I didn't want to accidentally make one so I gave gaper the power to not only destroy bullets but heal off them. Parts that have waves of bullets can bring you right back to full health, forcing me to design other ways to challenge to the player than pretty slow moving patterns of bullets.

unless you are playing on easy mode, or normal-chill I can assure you the basic shot(blood bullets) is the worst damage per second in the game. its faster, with practice  easier and in my opinion more fun to take down enemies using the full array of gaspers attacks. See the guide I wrote for a more in depth break down on the different attacks. 

I agree the difficulty of the duck on the tower is out of place, I have made his throwing speed and speed of thrown objects lower. Its a lot easier now to arc a bullet over the plank while dodging plates.

I can and more death sounds!
In fact if you want you can submit your own and I might include it. A short wav file of you making a death moan.

I may have the game pick a random sound from a list of moans every time an creature bites the blood bullet.

The duck wizard will be in the game! All the ducks from the intro will be there, as bosses scattered across the game.
I have been saving them as the last boss fights I program as they will be the most complex.
There are many gaps in the game to fill. I should make that more clear on the website.

Rudly dude
-
I agree the frogs are extreemly derpy. They were the first sprites I drew and some of the worst. While I am open on doing rework on any art in the game that communicates poorly to the player important information like if its about to attack, If I do redraw those frogs it will be a while from now. I don't want to do any more drawing than I have to. Especially thinking about how I would have to recreate that mountain of dead frogs from  the intro!  I'm really glad you liked the design of the sprites, I sketched most of them out in a couple of minutes, I don't enjoy drawing but somehow I've gotten 185 sprites deep with gasper's journey  My Word! and the backlog of things I need to draw and animate before the game is finished is still quite large. (In my dreams at this point a talented artist swoops in and offers to help me finish animating my game and polish up my current sprites)

I think you are on to something about those early levels being too intense, I lowered their intensity(the variable I use in the random level generator to decide how often it can make new enemies). Let me know if you think its better.

Fun fact- the final boss fight of the demo is literally the object I use to do random level generation for all the levels in gasper. He just normally hangs out off screen.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:46:28 AM by JonathanDaar » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic