Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:09:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallHacknPlan, a planning tool for indie gamedev, launches open beta
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: HacknPlan, a planning tool for indie gamedev, launches open beta  (Read 33437 times)
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »

Hi guys,

Like 6 months ago I started the development of a web planning tool designed for game development, and more specially for solo devs and small teams. I am an indie developer myself and I found interesting the idea of having a lightweight and clean kanban tool specialized in gamedev. Today I launched an open beta for everyone to try: hacknplan.com

I'm just taking the first steps, there is a long way to go, but even though you think you wouldn't use it or it lacks many features for your needs, it would be very helpful for me if you try it and give me some feedback. Like many of you here, I'm working on this alone and I need more eyes and points of view.

By the way, it's free :-)

You can also take a look to the roadmap to see what is coming: hacknplan.com/roadmap

Cheers

Working on HacknPlan, the planning tool for indie game developers.
RudlyDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 06:58:07 PM »

Wow, this looks pretty cool! I started a project on it for a game I'm working on ("Fun Multiplayer Game"  Wink ). I'm not sure how to add tasks though, just milestones. Any help there?
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »

Wow, this looks pretty cool! I started a project on it for a game I'm working on ("Fun Multiplayer Game"  Wink ). I'm not sure how to add tasks though, just milestones. Any help there?

I'm glad you like it. To create a task, go into a milestone and then to the kanban panel of the category you want (programming, art, design...). There you have a + button to add tasks. However, we are adding a quick button to the top menu to have this more accessible, it will come during the following weeks.

Thanks for giving it a try!

{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:29 AM »

I also registered. From screens at website it looked like trello but now I see the bigger picture. I will move dev plan for my game to HacknPlan, and see how it will work out.

Will be there a possibility to add images for tasks, like this?

And also upload images/files in text (instead hotlinking them).

Is there any way to look on the tasks and see all of them no matter in what milestone are they?
If you re managing a team is good to see all tasks from all milestones. And also see all tasks in milestone (not only in Design or Arts category).

Clicking on a category name in Category Stats could link to a category page.

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 05:05:05 AM »

Hi!

Yes, the attachments are planned: hacknplan.com/roadmap

The other things you suggest sound useful, I will consider them as future improvements for user.

Thanks for the feedback!

I also registered. From screens at website it looked like trello but now I see the bigger picture. I will move dev plan for my game to HacknPlan, and see how it will work out.

Will be there a possibility to add images for tasks, like this?

And also upload images/files in text (instead hotlinking them).

Is there any way to look on the tasks and see all of them no matter in what milestone are they?
If you re managing a team is good to see all tasks from all milestones. And also see all tasks in milestone (not only in Design or Arts category).

Clicking on a category name in Category Stats could link to a category page.

RudlyDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »

Ok, so I click on the milestone, and it just takes me to a page with a Mark Twain quote on it. Where do I go from here to add tasks?
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »

Ok, so I click on the milestone, and it just takes me to a page with a Mark Twain quote on it. Where do I go from here to add tasks?

Ok, then it looks like you found a bug... One question: does your milestone have any special character in the name, like dots or other symbols? If that is the case that is a bug I'm currently fixing and will be pushed to production probably tomorrow. If not, please use the "Give us feedback" button in the left bottom part of the screen and send me some details (project and user, browser...).

I'm sorry for the problems you're having, betas, you know...

RudlyDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »

Ok, then it looks like you found a bug... One question: does your milestone have any special character in the name, like dots or other symbols? If that is the case that is a bug I'm currently fixing and will be pushed to production probably tomorrow. If not, please use the "Give us feedback" button in the left bottom part of the screen and send me some details (project and user, browser...).

It's fine, I completely understand.  Grin

My title does have commas and such, so that's probably the issue. Glad I could help!
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »

It's fine, I completely understand.  Grin

My title does have commas and such, so that's probably the issue. Glad I could help!

Hey, I fixed this bug today! You can try and see if it is working now. Thanks for your help!

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »

Hey lunarkingdom, I've been using it and I love it so far!

I'm not sure if the game model feature is working though.  It's supposed to be able to attach children to nodes but mine can't seem to do that.  I can create nodes just fine, but can't make them a child of another node.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »

Hey lunarkingdom, I've been using it and I love it so far!

I'm not sure if the game model feature is working though.  It's supposed to be able to attach children to nodes but mine can't seem to do that.  I can create nodes just fine, but can't make them a child of another node.

I admit the game model is a bit difficult to use at this moment, I need to improve it to be more usable and intuitive.

To add children nodes, drag the element under the one that will be the parent, and then move it a bit to the right. You will see that the placeholder box will move too.

Thanks for your feedback!

hsnabn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 03:48:26 AM »

Hi lunarkingdom.
I've also signed up for it, and I have found it extremely useful! I've found it a worthy competitor to Trello, maybe one day I'll switch over.
Keep working on this, it's a very well made, polished product, and extremely useful to boot!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:55:47 AM by hsnabn » Logged

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 05:19:56 AM »

Hi lunarkingdom.
I've also signed up for it, and I have found it extremely useful! I've found it a worthy competitor to Trello, maybe one day I'll switch over.
Keep working on this, it's a very well made, polished product, and extremely useful to boot!

Thanks, I am just giving the first steps. I cannot compare this with bigger and more mature apps like Trello yet, time will say if this becomes a serious alternative for gamedevs.

Thanks for trying it out and for your feedback.

Cheers

Ariedhan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »

Wow nice tool!

I am using trello lately to manage the teams that i work with. I will talk to my team about using this one instead, even in this young stage it offers some nice organizing solutions and suits perfectly our current needs.

I love how you are creating a tool thats specific for game developers and our needs, I believe its something that will help the industry in the long term and will help many beginner devs to organize themselves.

Have you given any thought about translating it? If you wish I can help you with Spanish translation.

Keep up the good work!  Beer!

Game Designer in Tibi Games
Working on:
Sarani
lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 02:25:53 PM »

Wow nice tool!

I am using trello lately to manage the teams that i work with. I will talk to my team about using this one instead, even in this young stage it offers some nice organizing solutions and suits perfectly our current needs.

I love how you are creating a tool thats specific for game developers and our needs, I believe its something that will help the industry in the long term and will help many beginner devs to organize themselves.

Have you given any thought about translating it? If you wish I can help you with Spanish translation.

Keep up the good work!  Beer!

Thanks for the comments!!

I'm working on improving the tool and developing all the core features I want it to have for version 1.0, but after that I will work on translating it to a few languages at least. I won't need your help for spanish translation though, because I'm spanish myself ;-) I haven't started to promote the tool in spanish sites yet, but I will soon.

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »

Hi guys!

I published a blog post about how was the first week of HacknPlan beta, what bugs and improvements have we done so far and what are we working on this week: http://hacknplan.com/a-week-of-hacknplan-beta/.

Cheers

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »

Hi guys,

We have added some interesting features and improvements to HacknPlan this week, specially focused on improving the workflow and documentation. Take a look at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-1-2015-10-14/

Cheers

lunarkingdom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »

Hi there!

I keep improving the app thanks to the feedback of the indiedev community. We added several improvements today, you can take a look at them at http://hacknplan.com/dev-diary-2-2015-10-26/.

Cheers

ococo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 05:21:41 AM »

Great initiative! It's fantastic to get a tool aimed at game developers. I particularly like the idea of linking the GDD to the task creation. I tried to do that somehow with my team but couldn't find the proper tool to do so.
I simulated my project with it and like it so far. However, I prefer Scrum over Kanban. I will see how I may simulate Scrum practices with your tool (I am very fond of stories, test cases and sprint goals). Of all the tools I used, I preferred Hansoft as it was the best to organise a sprint and track people progress. Target Process is a good Hansoft-light but my team (in different countries and not a lot of big team xp) still found it too complex. They preferred Trello for its user-friendliness; unfortunately it lacks any planning and budget tracking; not great for producers (which is why I like your Category Stats panel). Jira is just frustrating.
I think that if you achieve the link between GDD and tool, it could be ground-breaking for designers. I'd be happy to discuss more about that.
By the way, I felt that it's missing certain categories. For example 'Art Direction' didn't land in any category for the model. As other documents.
Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »

Really love what you are doing here! How will you guys "keep the lights on"?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic