Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:57:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame recommendations thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Game recommendations thread  (Read 9647 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »

I thought it would be nice to have a general thread for questions like "is there a game like this" and "is this game worth getting" etc, so here it is. If it proves popular enough I'm stickying it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I'll start: I'm looking for an open world 3D survival game without a crafting system and little to no minecraft-style resource farming. The game should be single character w/ direct control (i.e. not a strategy game) and should be singleplayer focused (or at least allow for decent SP play).
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »

Sir, You Are Being Hunted might be a good option, if you haven't played it.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »

Betrayer is another good choice. It's more directed than Sir, You Are Being Hunted, but it's still v good.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »

on the Playstation. It's very, um, peculiar but it's by Artdink so I guess that comes with the territory.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »

Looking for: Games similar in feel to Fez and Shadow of the Colossus, where there are very few real antagonists, and a heavy emphasis on the zen and wonder of exploration.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »

Looking for: Games similar in feel to Fez and Shadow of the Colossus, where there are very few real antagonists, and a heavy emphasis on the zen and wonder of exploration.

Small Worlds was created for a game design competition with the theme of exploration. You simply explore each world until you find the exit, and reveal some interesting things along the way. It takes longer to describe it than it does to play it, so just do that now.

Outer Wilds is a gorgeous non-linear game about exploring a tiny solar system with your rocket ship and just encountering things. It has no objective, and is a little (a lot) glitchy, as it was a game design project that was never completed. What's there now, though, might give you a few hours of enjoyment as you explore some extremely bizarre planets and discover hidden secrets in each of them.

Aether is by Edmund of Meat Boy fame. It's a short flash adventure where you fly around a 2d solar system and solve puzzles on each planet.

Are you familiar with Knytt or Yume Nikki? Both are exploration heavy, but pretty well known.

I really like games of this type too.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:15:07 AM »

thanks guys!

sir you are being hunted is a game ive always passed up because to be honest, My Word! style humor annoys the heck out of me. but ill give it a shot when it goes on sale again.

betrayer is a pretty decent game but its not that much of a survival gam and (imo) wastes its considerable potential with lots of fetch quests.

tail of the sun looks extremely rad. might have to track down a copy that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 03:45:35 AM »

Outer Wilds is a gorgeous non-linear game about exploring a tiny solar system with your rocket ship and just encountering things. It has no objective, and is a little (a lot) glitchy, as it was a game design project that was never completed. What's there now, though, might give you a few hours of enjoyment as you explore some extremely bizarre planets and discover hidden secrets in each of them.

outer wilds is still in development actually. it just won the igf audience award in fact. but yeah, seconded, it's really good.

there's also noctis, the grandaddy of all "indie exploration games", tho its old and not everyone's cup of tea. but its surreal atmosphere and genuine sense of discovery havent been replicated imo.

then there are proteus, mirrormoon EP, endless ocean for the wii (super underrated game imo) and journey (sort of).
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 04:23:28 AM »

I thought it would be nice to have a general thread for questions like "is there a game like this" and "is this game worth getting" etc, so here it is. If it proves popular enough I'm stickying it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I'll start: I'm looking for an open world 3D survival game without a crafting system and little to no minecraft-style resource farming. The game should be single character w/ direct control (i.e. not a strategy game) and should be singleplayer focused (or at least allow for decent SP play).

The Long Dark is an early access game that looks promising, but it had a very simple crafting system last time I checked.

I'll agree with SirNiko on Knytt games, that is something that you should check it out. By the same designer I also enjoyed Within a Deep Forest. That game has more conflict than knytt games, but so do Fez and SoC. On the same vein there's also Seiklus. And they're all free!
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 06:06:39 AM »

Any good free PC Metroidvania and brick break/arkanoid downloadable or browser game.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 07:15:34 AM »

seiklus was a thing back in itsd era and i still find it really enjoyable.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, guys! I've actually played Knytt and Seiklus, but I'll definitely give the others a look.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, guys! I've actually played Knytt and Seiklus, but I'll definitely give the others a look.

Check Bernband, also. It's free and all you do is move through a weird and amazing alien city.

Any good free PC Metroidvania and brick break/arkanoid downloadable or browser game.

Metroidvania: An untitled story, Hero core, the original La mulana (it was free), maybe Cave Story, depending on what you consider a metroidvania and what you like about them.

Arkanoid: There's Wizorb but it is paid.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 11:46:44 AM »

Not TOTALLY a Metroidvania, but Iji is an absolute freeware staple, with a heavy focus on progression, and new abilities will frequently allow you to unlock secret paths.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

akuji the demon is pretty sweet as well
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »

Newer games that are like Unreal and Quake II, ie. fast and fun, you don't have to wait for NPCs to finish talking every other minute, there's actual level design so you're not just repeatedly locked into an arena until enemies stop spawning á la Serious Sam and Painkiller and most importantly it can be played coop

That or anything approximating the experience of Half-Life deathmatch

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »

Left 4 Dead? It has a bunch of being locked in areas and fighting enemies, but I thought even these were well designed, especially on the second game. It's not very fast, of course.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »

Nah that's not what I'm looking for at all. The fact that the maps are completely self contained kills it.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »

Not TOTALLY a Metroidvania, but Iji is an absolute freeware staple, with a heavy focus on progression, and new abilities will frequently allow you to unlock secret paths.
It is pretty good. I beat it years ago. Smiley

Metroidvania: An untitled story, Hero core, the original La mulana (it was free), maybe Cave Story, depending on what you consider a metroidvania and what you like about them.

Arkanoid: There's Wizorb but it is paid.
I have Hero Core and the original, La Mulana and Cave Story. I will check out Metroidvania: An untitled story.  Smiley
akuji the demon is pretty sweet as well
I was thinking about trying to get that to work on my computer again. I played its creator's other game, Hyper Castle Labyrinth (I think that's its English name) and I really like it.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »

Also, if you haven't already played it, Shadow Complex is one of the best Metroidvanias I've ever played. Ori and the Blind Forest is incredibly solid (and gorgeous) too
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic