Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:05:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralVoice actors strike mega-thread!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Voice actors strike mega-thread!  (Read 2280 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »

Yea:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/09/24/video-game-voice-actors-may-go-on-strike-and-thats-a-good-thing/

Nay:
http://kotaku.com/not-everyone-is-supporting-a-possible-voice-actor-strik-1732874431

And some context from Wil Wheaton of all people: https://medium.com/@wilw/this-is-why-i-support-a-sag-aftra-strike-authorization-for-video-games-and-it-isn-t-about-money-d9123d7a700d

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »

the biggest problem I have with this is how it makes voice actors seem entitled. it's almost as if they're claiming to be essential to a game's success.

however I do think that it's an important step in making the public aware of how terribly uneven the distribution of money is in the game's industry. just make it about more than just voice actors.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »

Whole Deadpool dev team was fired by Activision before game was even released to cut corners.
Dont think Nolan North can get royalties in projects like that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:48:15 PM by Cobralad » Logged
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »

eh, the crab-bucket mentality doesnt help anything. the reason that devs get fucked like we do is precisely because we dont have this sort of union organization or representation, so vilifying others for trying to make their situation better rings pretty hollow. and i say this as a person who has been working like a slave 16hrs, 7days a week for almost 2 years straight.

the labor situation in games would be considered insane and criminal if it was applied to any other industry. like torchkas, im hoping that this just exposes the need for widespread organization and change to business practices.

THAT SAID... i personally think voice acting in games is almost invariably garbage, so my reasoning has nothing to do with "they deserve it", believe me.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:02:07 AM »

Also a lot of points might be for negociation, they can remove points to ease negociation for their main true purpose.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »

Supporting people fighting for better working conditions should be a no-brainer.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »

honestly voice actors don't have such bad working conditions compared to programmers, artists, and basically any people that need to clock 10 hours a day behind a computer

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »

I'm really not sure if that's true, but that's irrelevant. Workers need to support each other if we want to see improvements across the board.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »

yeah you're right

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »

how's super joe doing

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »

agree with what has been said itt. i support this fully and am kinda pissed about dismissive attitude towards it on mainstream gaming forums.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

the biggest problem I have with this is how it makes voice actors seem entitled. it's almost as if they're claiming to be essential to a game's success.

the biggest problem I have with this is how it makes writers seem entitled. it's almost as if they're claiming to be essential to a game's success.

the biggest problem I have with this is how it makes programmers seem entitled. it's almost as if they're claiming to be essential to a game's success.

the biggest problem I have with this is how it makes artists seem entitled. it's almost as if they're claiming to be essential to a game's success.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »

how's super joe doing
i had surgery and vomited small mushy turds suspended in Lipton Iced Tea (Peach)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »

i think i made a post about some of this before but in perpetuity buyouts are some bull shit and so is 4 hour shitty screaming sessions but also the whole computer game industry needs wide ranging labour reform and consumers will ever accept it because it might ultimately change their toys
Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »

honestly voice actors don't have such bad working conditions compared to programmers, artists, and basically any people that need to clock 10 hours a day behind a computer

you speak almost nonstop for seven hours straight and see how well your voice holds up. i've known a few voice actors and they all universally say it's terrible on your voice.

also saying "well, these OTHER laborers have it worse, voice actors should just suck it up" is like, hey, why not the opposite, why not be like "hey if voice actors hate this maybe we should reform this other stuff TOO"
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »

[watches hellish race to the bottom physically, mentally, and financially destroy vast swathes of ppl whose sole occupation is ostensibly as architects of fun, whimsy, and recreation] this seems like a god way to work, to me. it sucks shit to injure yourself through the course of your job and be unable to work as scheduled. in the interests of fairness during crunch time lets break the programmers fingers
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 11:31:47 PM »

If you want to be miserable and work in insane condition, why do it for a publisher when you can go indie. It's has bad as when you project got cancelled and you are suddenly homeless.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »

capitalism.jpg

"see, if we give in to this then we'd have to admit that we're greedy scumbags who routinely underpay people"
Pfotegeist
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »

capitalism.jpg

"see, if we give in to this then we'd have to admit that we're greedy scumbags who routinely underpay people"
we take the first step at understanding the biggest critic's point of view the other side has about these demands.

I will think like this for one day. I'll be back to normal tomorrow. Until then, my silence bonds this.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic