Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 05:11:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRuby & Majesty: Treasure Team
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ruby & Majesty: Treasure Team  (Read 400 times)
TheWzzard
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »

Ruby & Majesty: Treasure Team was made for a game jam and has since been expanded.

It's a single player puzzle action game that draws inspiration from Escape Goat and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. You control both of the titular characters at once and you will need to coordinate them in order to get past the various hazards and puzzles. I've expanded on it quite a bit since the jam and I'm looking for more feedback specifically about the difficulty curve and the feel of the collisions. Thanks for checking it out!

LINK:http://gamejolt.com/games/ruby-majesty-treasure-team/92928

GekidoRising
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »

Alright, gave this game a spin for about 15-20 minutes. Here's what I thought:

• First of all, I really dig the aesthetic of the game! The art and the music really compliment each other very nicely! Overall, everything matches the game's theme in a very pleasant way!
  • I was surprised, I found myself really liking the dialog! The little conversations R&M have strike me as quaint, it's a cute little style actually! I also like the cards that popup at the start of every room, though I can't say I'm a big fan of them popping up every single time. It might be more convenient to make it so that they only show the first time you enter a room, or at least make them immediately skippable on rooms you've been to.
  • The difficulty curve of the game actually feels really good from the amount that I was able to complete. There certainly were a few rooms where the difficulty spiked a tad, but not in such a way that it was jarring.
  • The only difficulty spike that I do want to call out would be the the very first room you encounter the chasing skulls. Perhaps I'm just not too smart with these sorts of games and I should have been checking R&M in quick succession instead of resting my focal point between them and trying to watch both of them in peripheral but regardless, that room was hard! I sort of feel like it might be a little more fair if the chase range on the skull was increased a bit so that Majesty could kite from farther away but that might have the unintended effect of making it even harder since it might track Ruby by accident so whatever.
  • The other thing that I found made things slightly difficult was the way the switches behaved. Sometimes, I'd place Majesty near a switch, thinking that she isn't on it (for reasons mentioned below) when she actually is and accidentally end up adjusting her quickly. In this 0.0001 seconds that I move her, the switch is released which is pretty much certain doom for Ruby one way or another (I hope I'm getting the character names right by the way). I realize this is told to me in one of the very first rooms, "Make sure not to move!" But I feel like just having a tiny grace period might be nice, something like 0.2 seconds so that the player doesn't get punished for practically sneezing on their WASD keys.
  • A small note, I notice on death there's about a 1 second period where the death screen fades in before restarting. I know this is minor but if it isn't used to mask loading, I'd suggest making it so that you can instantly come back after dying, as in super instantly. The faster the player can get back to solving puzzles, the better!
  • One last note on difficulty: I think one of the biggest sources of the difficulty in this game comes from one factor alone: The fact that their movement speed is different. I realize that this is very necessary as a lot of the puzzle elements revolve around Majesty's speed, but I just want to make sure you understand that this is one of the most difficult aspects of the game. Basically, there is no mental rest period where the player can simply move the characters as one unit, because the player has to constantly put brain power into what character is going where. It's worth mentioning that I played this on keyboard. If the controller has analog movement, than it's better, but still difficult as means you still have to treat each character's movement differently.
  • As for the collisions, I do have one large issue that can fortunately be summarized in once concise point: The character's centers are not their feet, their centers are their literal sprite centers. This is an issue for two reasons:
  • When I'm walking around, I'm expecting a character to be standing directly over their shadow. As blob shadows go, if you think back to games like Mario64 and Rayman 2, the shadow is a wonderful indicator of where the character is going to land or where they're standing. So, logically, I should be able to use my shadow as an accurate representation of where my character's hitbox is, right? Well...

In this image, I can't walk to the right because that wall is in the way. You'd think it makes sense because her head is there and should block it, but look at that shadow! I'm WELL below that wall and I should be able to easily walk past it. With the fact that this is a collision, the only logical implication is that everyone in the game is standing like this

• The other issue I have with this, as I mentioned above, is pushing buttons. At one point, I got to an open room with buttons that Majesty was supposed to push but when I flew over them, I didn't press them. At first, I thought it was some sort of button that only Ruby could push but lo and behold, I was just misjudging the collision:

Again, you'd think it makes sense for the body to be directly over the switch, but look at that shadow on the left image, it's directly on top of the switch! Logically, you'd think I was directly on top of the switch, and in the lower one, I'm barely touching the switch at all.
  • Anyway, while I'm here, I did run into a few bugs as I was trying out the game, here's a few that I found:
  • Whenever one of the characters dies to getting crushed by a block (as in one character lets go of a switch causing blocks to reappear), the blocks repeatedly play their block-appearing particle effect every frame forever and I think they play their sound infinitely too.
  • Whenever an arrow flies into a fan stream, the arrow is pushed in the wrong direction (the fan pushed Majesty to the left, but the arrows were being pushed to the right)
  • Whenever you start a room, the text that pops up during the start, you can die while that screen is up. In the room where there's a single arrow trap shooting at Majesty, if you come from the top and wait, you'll die while the text is up.
  • You can stand on the very edge of a switch and it will push and release every frame:
  • In the room with the three chasing skulls, while two of them were chasing after Majesty, the game froze and crashed. As a result, this is where I stopped playing because I also learned that the continue button does nothing lol

Anyway, that concludes pretty much everything I had to say about the game! I know there's quite a bit of criticism in here, but honestly, I did enjoy the game quite a bit! The puzzles progressed quite nicely despite the difficulty spikes and the game's tone and theme is actually quite charming! I hope to see it improved upon in the future so that I may play it again at some point!
TheWzzard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »

Excellent feedback! Thank you. I knew I needed to move the collision boxes and your explanation is going to be super helpful.
The dialogue boxes should not be replaying so I need to take a look at that, was this happening in more than one room? I am also realizing that I need to have the game save automatically instead of just on going back to the Main Menu or exiting because bugs will ruin your progress.
GekidoRising
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »

The dialogue boxes were literally being shown at every room transition, regardless of whether I walked into it or if I was respawning.

Also, ooooh, that's how the saving works. On that note, I wanted to mention that I find it kind of weird that pressing escape is literally equivalent to committing suicide and that it might be easier to either have the R key just restart you then and there, or add an option to actually unpause in the pause menu.
TheWzzard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »

Ah ok you mean the text on the black background between the rooms. That is there to hide the first few frames which I might not even need now that I'm thinking about it. I'm going to add a Zelda style scrolling transition to replace it soon.

Yeah the pause menu is very much in "game jam" shape, so I'll look at that also! Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic