Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:33:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSmoothly repeating Audio Assets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Smoothly repeating Audio Assets  (Read 508 times)
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »

Hi all, I'm working on a game where you pilot a space ship, and I'd like there to be a smoothly looping background sfx for it's engines. In my engine I know how to make sounds play looping, and even how to change volume and pitch dynamically to simulate the rocket's output changing. However I don't know how to actually make the audio asset sound smooth and continuous while looping. Anyone know a good tutorial or tips on which programs to use?

eh
facture
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

I think what you're asking is just about creating a sound which loops nicely right? A but if trial and error should get you there from my experience. However, I have seen people who have created 5+ different sounds so that instead of looping, they can randomly put them together in the game itself. Not only does this give the illusion of looping, but the overall sfx will constantly be different.
If you're just going for a single continuous effect, then try and make the beginning and end of the sound very similar - in your case maybe a gap between the "thrusts" of the engine. Fiddling around in audacity should give you an idea of the sound levels you need to link.
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »

Hi P1x3lRuckus,
it sounds like you need to work on the audio parts in a DAW to achieve what you want. Basically you need to make a longer part that includes two repititions of the sounds/music in question, then cut them in the middle and duplicate the 2nd half to the front. That way you have the tail of the last note/noise on your starting point. That in turn creates some nuissances but it is managable if there are other hits in the mix like a beat for example.
Here ist a very comprehensive (but a bit lengthy) tutorial on the matter by Dirk Ehlert:

Hope this helps!

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 05:45:34 AM »

Thanks this helps!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

eh
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic