Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:39:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingModern Warfare TDS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Modern Warfare TDS  (Read 730 times)
Greenhawk
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2015, 05:52:53 AM »

http://www.indiedb.com/games/call-of-duty-tds/downloads
Manual: http://thegreenhawk.wix.com/modernwarfaretds#!manuals/c9v2

Modern Warfare TDS is a action packed Top down shooter inspired by the Call of Duty Series. The game is currently in the first public beta stage and all critiquing is requested. The game currently features 3 weapons: the powerful ACR, the M4A1 and the Ump45. Take to the battlefield as you play as the memorable Task force 141, Opfor, the Spetsnez and the Navy Seals. Play on three fast paced maps and one which is capture the flag. built with an intense engine, the game never felt so real, so alive including beautiful sound effects(also in testing), AI and more! This game is not affiliated with infinity ward or Activision

System Requirements: It should work on all computers because when I started making this, I had a really slow laptop! Smiley
Shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGkLXcfPKz0

Critique: I want criticism on the game mechanics and on the styles on how big and fun the maps should be. You can even tell me about any features you want to see and perfected. Anything, I just really need the feedback. Thanks for playing my game.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »

Any chance of an alternate download site? IndieDB is telling me there are currently no mirrors available for that file.

Based on the screenshots, I do have a few comments:

-I think nice, clean 2D graphics for walls would've looked better, but maybe you had a reason for using 3D.

-The seams between wall blocks shouldn't be there. Maybe it's an artifact from anti-aliasing or interpolation, or just a coordinate-related issue. Not sure. It may be the same reason the characters seem to have whitish outlines.

-I know this is a little old, but widescreen has been the standard for a long time so I find it weird that this is 4:3.

-Even simple lighting effects would do a lot to give the graphics a bit more punch and make them look less flat.

-One thing I like about CoD and other modern shooters is that the maps are generally asymmetrical but still feel fairly balanced. Symmetrical maps just aren't as interesting.

-The enlarged pixels on that weapon screen look ugly to me, since they don't fit with any of the other graphics. that weapon select should also be properly centered.

-I like the apparent viewing range. A lot of games like this don't let players look far enough ahead for my liking.

Anyway, I'm interested in trying this. I enjoy working on top-down shooter AI and I'm curious to see how well your AI works. Hopefully I'll get a download mirror working at some point.

Edit:

-The intro logos take at least three times longer than I'd like. Why? And why can't I skip them?

-I'd recommend making your own text-entry field rather than using the built-in pop-up. It really took me out of the game when I saw a Windows pop-up and the music stopped.

-Mouse-checking isn't working properly on the class select. Half of the right-hand arrow doesn't respond to my cursor.

-The music doesn't loop.

-The menus are unclear. Your description says there are three maps, but I only see one option. When I went to change my class, I couldn't get back to the lobby.

-There's almost no feedback whatsoever in the game. I can't tell for sure when I take out enemies, or when I'm being shot at. In addition to just being unclear, it's also less enjoyable when you don't get to clearly see the results of your actions.

-Gunshot sounds don't reach very far at all.

-Enemies and allies look so similar that I can't easily tell who's who at a glance.

-"The flag is being ca--" plays over and over and over. It always cuts off at the same point. I'm also apparently playing Team Deathmatch, so I don't know why a flag is even there.

-The "Killed by" window is drawn behind certain things like healthbars.

-In first-person, hitting different parts of the body causes different amounts of damage. Since you can't do that here, I think hits shouldn't do as much damage. Every time I got shot at, I died in about a second.

-I got killed out of nowhere. It feels like the AI is just shooting me from off-screen, and I just got killed through a wall.

-Rockets don't seem to do any splash damage, or if they do it's really low. I also dislike having to reload manually every time I fire.

-An enemy and I stood in front of one another and just shot through each other for a while until someone else came and killed me.

The game has potential. Feel free to ignore this, but personally I think the main things to work on are player feedback (Am I getting shot at? Did I just kill an enemy?), collision/AI bugs like shooting through walls and finding the sweet spot with rates of damage so that players don't die to enemies they didn't even see shooting at them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:07:02 AM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic