Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:29:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHypno-Joe: Non-scrolling retro-platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hypno-Joe: Non-scrolling retro-platformer  (Read 477 times)
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:57:55 AM »

Joe is essentially a walking brain.  He does everything with his mind, so hypnosis (which is technically by eye), and telekinesis (notably levitating objects).  I haven't had much time for inventing backstory but it will have something to do with some mad scientist in his lab and maybe concern the origins of Joe himself.  In any case it's a web-based game in either flash or html5 flavors.

Been working on this for a few months and in fact been posting a DevLog about it here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48414.0  (You can also play it from my devlog.)

Gameplay is fairly simple.  You score points by hypnotizing enemies, levitating them, and then dropping them into a cage, and then matching 3 or more in a row, column, or diagonal.  Arrow keys to move, and 'X' for action.  Hypnotize by looking enemies in the eyes (facing them and being close enough), levitate, then carry them over to the cage, where you can drop them through.  All using the 'X' key.  You can also run by holding down 'X'.  You'll also have one freeze token which stops all enemies on screen, per level.  Extra point tokens by hypnotizing enemies in "angry" mode.  The enemies become angry if they get to the bottom and exit, and then come in again from the top.  Angry mode simply means they move faster.  Blue enemies are worth the least, Reds are worth the most.  Also Diagonal matches are worth more than Row matches which are worth more than Column matches.

Special note about the different versions.  I use flash because of the debugger and a lot of people can still play it.  The different sizes mostly depends on what kind of screen you're using.  The version I develop with is 2x native.  The actual resolution is 384x480 (5:4 aspect ratio which is going to change soon) -- this is the "native" version I link to below.  So 2x native is actually 768x960, but I found out some people couldn't fit it on their older laptops which might only do 1366x768 (or 720p or whatever), so I created the 1.5x version or the "small" version.

I prefer the 2x (Dev size) version, but if you can't just go with the small.  Native is just there for reference purposes, and just to see how it would look small, maybe on a phone if I manage to put it on mobile.

FLASH VERSIONS:
Click the image to play (small / 1.5x) flash version:

Dev size: Click here
Native size (smaller than the main link above in the image): Click here

HTML5 VERSIONS:
Here's the (small / 1.5x) HTML 5 version Here
HTML5 Dev size: Click here
HTML5 Native size (smaller than the main link above in the image): Click here

I would like you to check for bugs, specifically, problems dropping an enemy in the cage and those in the cage not dropping/removing properly, and anything else you find off.  I do notice on the html5 version that sounds seem to lag until they're first loaded, and I'm using Waterfox (64-bit fork of Firefox).  Someone else claimed the sounds just lag in general, so I'm not sure what's up with that, but let me know even if you run into that.

Requirements are kind of lax.  Being able to run flash games, and/or an html-5 compliant browser.

Hopefully I've covered all of the bases here, please let me know anything that seems wrong and I'll try to address it.  Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic