Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:32:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Low poly 3D in Blender - Help? Tips?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Low poly 3D in Blender - Help? Tips?  (Read 3496 times)
USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »

Hey there! I know the basics of Blender, and have made a few low poly things, but I'm not getting the results I'm looking for.
I'm using Blender 2.6 and so far I've made Low poly models like this:
But I'm not quite getting the feel I want it to have.
I kind of want it to look like this:
I do try to do pixel art texturing, and I am still learning. Any tips?
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »

The texture in your model isn't pixel art so switching that would be the first thing. When making pixel art low poly textures you want to make them at powers of two. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128...

http://www.textures-resource.com/playstation/megamanlegends2/

There are the actual textures for Mega Man Legends. You could study those if you want.

Aside from that the reason you aren't getting the results you are looking for is because your skill level just isn't there yet. You need more practice. One from a basic art standpoint and another in regards to 3D modelling. 3D art, Lowpoly especially, is about effective use of a limited number of polygons. The mouth and chin area stands out to me as a specifically wasteful.

My honest advice is to

1. Study low poly wireframes* to see effective limited use of polygons. Wireframes* specifically because textured models can be misleading to a novice's eye. This thread might also be helpful.

2. Better develop your art skills. The anatomy of your model, even for something stylized is just way off. The eyes, the nose the mouth. It all needs work. Also, If you want to have pixel art textures similar to Mega Man Legends, you need to practice specific pixel art techniques, but overall if you improve at art in general, you will be a better pixel artist.

3. This is a pet peeve of mine, but I honestly don't know how much effort you really put into this because you stopped at just the head. I don't know if you spent 15 minutes and went "Well it doesn't look as good as Mega Man's head, I think I'll stop here until I'm better." I can understand if you were frustrated that it wasn't turning out to the standards you had in your head, but by stopping short like that you are stunting your growth. You might have even figured out some things you could improve just by having a body in addition to the head you modeled. You effectively limited your own practice. Try and finish a complete piece. Even if it isn't as good as you want it to be.

Artists don't just magically improve through forum advice. It is a grind. You've got to work. I'm sorry if this seems harsh. I tried to be as civil as I could. I'm genuinely trying to give you the best that I have to offer.

* If you don't know what a wireframe is, the bottom of this image for example.

edit: Hey again, you probably haven't read this yet, but I felt bad about not being able to find one of my favorite wireframes by the same artist as above so I spent another 20 minutes going page by page through the low poly topic on polycount for you. (Which is because for some reason he doesn't have it in his portfolio or anywhere on his website. Only on his photobucket account which is private and is linked in that thread.)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:29:45 PM by cynicalsandel » Logged

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:00:37 PM »

The texture in your model isn't pixel art so switching that would be the first thing. When making pixel art low poly textures you want to make them at powers of two. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128...

http://www.textures-resource.com/playstation/megamanlegends2/

There are the actual textures for Mega Man Legends. You could study those if you want.

Aside from that the reason you aren't getting the results you are looking for is because your skill level just isn't there yet. You need more practice. One from a basic art standpoint and another in regards to 3D modelling. 3D art, Lowpoly especially, is about effective use of a limited number of polygons. The mouth and chin area stands out to me as a specifically wasteful.

My honest advice is to

1. Study low poly wireframes* to see effective limited use of polygons. Wireframes* specifically because textured models can be misleading to a novice's eye. This thread might also be helpful.

2. Better develop your art skills. The anatomy of your model, even for something stylized is just way off. The eyes, the nose the mouth. It all needs work. Also, If you want to have pixel art textures similar to Mega Man Legends, you need to practice specific pixel art techniques, but overall if you improve at art in general, you will be a better pixel artist.

3. This is a pet peeve of mine, but I honestly don't know how much effort you really put into this because you stopped at just the head. I don't know if you spent 15 minutes and went "Well it doesn't look as good as Mega Man's head, I think I'll stop here until I'm better." I can understand if you were frustrated that it wasn't turning out to the standards you had in your head, but by stopping short like that you are stunting your growth. You might have even figured out some things you could improve just by having a body in addition to the head you modeled. You effectively limited your own practice. Try and finish a complete piece. Even if it isn't as good as you want it to be.

Artists don't just magically improve through forum advice. It is a grind. You've got to work. I'm sorry if this seems harsh. I tried to be as civil as I could. I'm genuinely trying to give you the best that I have to offer.

* If you don't know what a wireframe is, the bottom of this image for example.

edit: Hey again, you probably haven't read this yet, but I felt bad about not being able to find one of my favorite wireframes by the same artist as above so I spent another 20 minutes going page by page through the low poly topic on polycount for you. (Which is because for some reason he doesn't have it in his portfolio or anywhere on his website. Only on his photobucket account which is private and is linked in that thread.)

Thanks. I actually made the head as practice, and I'm working on the body. I actually did step back to look at the model's texture and I realized that it wasn't pixel art. I'm still practicing in Blender and in Photoshop making pixel art. I know the basics of blender, but I do see that I need to improve my pixel textures and my use of polys. Thanks for the advice, it wasn't too harsh, and I'm especially grateful that you took the time to look through the threads for me.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »

I think there's also a difference in that Megaman is flat-textured (is that the right term?)  The texture determines the final color not lighting.  Not sure exactly how to emulate that in blender, though I've got it working in Unity.  Maybe delete any light sources and turn the ambient light up?

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:32 PM »

I'll try that.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »

I think there's also a difference in that Megaman is flat-textured (is that the right term?)  The texture determines the final color not lighting.  Not sure exactly how to emulate that in blender, though I've got it working in Unity.  Maybe delete any light sources and turn the ambient light up?

Ah good point, sometimes it's easy to forget things like that because it's so ingrained. I've heard it referred to as "unlit" textures before, and in some cases it's considered "texture baking." You build highlights, shadows, shading into the texture itself.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »

Set renderer to Blender Game (drop down beside menu bar)
Set viewport shading to Material
Set material to Shadeless (Properties -> Meterial -> Shading)

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »

Here's some new progress!
I tried doing some more pixel-arty textures. I forgot to change the lighting and shading. And I haven't changed the face texture very much. But, progress is progress!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »

shut down the light, use ambient only lighting

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »

just delete standart light source, turn off aa and take viewport screensots