Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:25:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWould you leave games for something else if you could?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Would you leave games for something else if you could?  (Read 2481 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

it's almost by necessity a part time occupation with sporadic entertainment undertaken primarily in hopes of belonging to the fraction of stars that can do it full time. it's as little a real job as webcartoonist, indie game dev, athlete or "youtuber".

just so we're clear this is purely from emotion and a rationalization, I'm not arguing from dictionary definitions or anything.
these are however undeniably completely unessential services
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:41:02 PM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »

you don't have to be a star to be a full time actor lol
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »

Years ago I realized that I didn't really want to do gamedev as job. For me it was always hobby or form of self expression and involving money into it especially in current climate of commercial games would interfere with it in a ways I don't like.

That being said I have noticed that my enthusiasm in gamedev as decreased significantly at least for last couple of years. Either I'm gamedevpressed or it's because I have explored other forms of software development both on freetime and professionally Shrug

Regarding software development I'm not sure what I'd like to do with my skills. Lately I have been much into web-dev but I'm not sure if developing run off the mill web services is that meaningful to me in the long run. Being involved in science and (non CS related) research is interesting option though.

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »

I could see myself doing research, but the barrier for entry is too much for me to do it immediately

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »

lolno, I would never do that. Gamedev til death! :D

Canned Turkey
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 04:54:14 PM »

Honestly I'm in denial of the fact that I will probably have to find a real career when I turn 18.

Real life sucks.
RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »

Jobs I've had:
Dishwasher
Gas Station Attendant
Truck Unloading (graveyard shift)
Construction temp labor
Electronics Technologist (elevator controllers, mostly)
AV Tech and Repair
Games Tech Artist (lighting, fx, environments, rigging, pipeline, etc. for ten years)
Electrician (became journeyman last year)
Back to being a games tech artist five months ago

I've graduated from tech school, trade school and film school.

Games is a great job if you work with and for the right people.  Easier said than done sometimes.  You will have lots of ups and downs if you are doing it right. 

Having a second career is very helpful.  You can take a break whenever you are feeling burned out.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »

I wanted to be a literature teacher before I became a game developer, but now I see it would make me very miserable and very poor. Still, I do some game dev courses and give lectures on the side, and could see myself turning the proportion around as I get older.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 06:08:09 PM »

Eh, dunno what would I leave it for. If I were to leave games for something else (and I could take the choice), maybe it'd be something related to making hardware or stuff like this? On an unrelated job, working on promotion material for Sol I recalled how amusingly I actually come from a comic background (since I was considering making comics based on the game), so there's that as well.

Developing hardware seems more interesting though =P
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2015, 06:21:22 AM »

I've got another thing I could be really passionate about, but I can't think of a job title to put on it.

I would invent random new devices/vehicles/technology like all those people trying to kick-start their weird version of a watch or their imitation hover-board.
I have no idea what these people say their job is, but I have always been interested in building new things/concepts, it's just easier in games without constraints of a physical reality.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2015, 06:52:11 AM »

Games is a great job if you work with and for the right people.  Easier said than done sometimes.  You will have lots of ups and downs if you are doing it right.

Everything that's completely fucked up and wrong in game development.

/ And voice actors are bitching?
// they have some really good points but...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »

I would invent random new devices/vehicles/technology like all those people trying to kick-start their weird version of a watch or their imitation hover-board.
I have no idea what these people say their job is, but I have always been interested in building new things/concepts, it's just easier in games without constraints of a physical reality.
I'd call that an inventor, personally. I don't know if theres a more correct term out there, but inventor sounds about right.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »

Jobs I've had:
Dishwasher
Gas Station Attendant
Truck Unloading (graveyard shift)
Construction temp labor
Electronics Technologist (elevator controllers, mostly)
AV Tech and Repair
Games Tech Artist (lighting, fx, environments, rigging, pipeline, etc. for ten years)
Electrician (became journeyman last year)
Back to being a games tech artist five months ago

I've graduated from tech school, trade school and film school.

Games is a great job if you work with and for the right people.  Easier said than done sometimes.  You will have lots of ups and downs if you are doing it right. 

Having a second career is very helpful.  You can take a break whenever you are feeling burned out.

Wow swap out electrician for robotics and child education and we could be the same person o_0

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:59 PM »

I don't see me leaving yet, because I haven't even entered. I'm working to publish my first game late this year or early 2016.

I'm a graphic designer by trade, currently working at a small ad agency. I've had jobs as a graphic designer, 2D pixel artist, english teacher, pharmacy warehouse and even *gasp* taxi driver. I want to make games because I love games, but I wouldn't mind being able to do them full time and earn enough from them to cover my expenses.

Other things I'd love to try is to become certified in Blender 3D and teach 3D modeling and other aspects of 3D for game dev. And I'd also like to publish some of my writings. I have some half-cooked stories around...

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 07:28:02 PM »

Wow swap out electrician for robotics and child education and we could be the same person o_0

I have two kids so I work in child education every damn day of my life.   Tired

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »

I have two kids so I work in child education every damn day of my life.   Tired

My condolences ( I kid I kid :D )

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic