Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:50:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhen to start a devlog here?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: When to start a devlog here?  (Read 1267 times)
sortris
Level 0

Jet Toast Engineer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »

Hi all!

2 months ago my friend and me have started developing our great game. For now we have around 5-10% finished status.

My question is when is the best time to start devlog here on the TIGForums. We don't have beautiful graphics as far and I wonder if that will be repulsive? Could I edit my first devlog's post in future? Or it is better to start devlog at arount 50% finished game?

Thanks in advance.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:17 AM »

Hi all!

2 months ago my friend and me have started developing our great game. For now we have around 5-10% finished status.

My question is when is the best time to start devlog here on the TIGForums. We don't have beautiful graphics as far and I wonder if that will be repulsive? Could I edit my first devlog's post in future? Or it is better to start devlog at arount 50% finished game?

Thanks in advance.
It depends on what you want out of your devlog. If you want to drum up fanfare and hype, it's best to wait until it LOOKS really good.

If you want to get feedback / opinions / encouragement / help, it's better to post early. Dev-minded people here don't mind lacking visuals too much, if there's mechanics and systems to talk about.

If you want to track your progress / write down your journey and answers / reactions are secondary, you can also do that. There's (sadly imo) tons of devlogs filled only with posts by the dev(s). That's fine, too.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:01:52 AM »

yuo can edit your first posts
also i doubt tigsource and devforums in general are a place for presenting your game as a product
there are zero non-dev consumers here anyway and they wont flip their goats over placeholder graphics
you can look at any big devlog thread to see how it progressed over time
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:35:32 AM »

when you have an idea and a picture of something that isnt just a drawing
Conker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »

Yesterday
itsyourpalmike
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »

Since it's all devs here it's fine to post it even if it has unpleasant graphics.
foreignsubstances
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »

I'm doing a devlog for a game that may not ever have graphics, so I'd say go for it. I'm curious, what kind of game is it?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »

start at the top, maintain an edited first post with links to important moments in the log. in my opinion

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 10:23:12 AM »

tfw you've been here for 8 years and haven't made a game

Conker
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »

Sad whats stopping you
Noyemi K
Level 0

[ * ] - we are all so hapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »

Yesterday, in my opinion. Getting early feedback when your alpha's starting to come together can be critical.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »

Sad whats stopping you
i actually don't really have an urge to make one. i'm just saying that "everyone here is a dev" is a dumb idea because it's really not true. i think i'm probably the most prolific poster here who doesn't contribute anything development-wise; i just like indie games and talking with the people who make them, ya dig?

edit: also, don't forget all the bloggers/journalists who comb through the devlogs looking for cool things. there's a lot of worth to making a devlog and keeping it updated.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:14:48 PM by Tanner » Logged

monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

Personally i like seeing games progress from placeholder graphics through to the finished title.

I love watching how games evolve.
sortris
Level 0

Jet Toast Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »

The question was "When to start a game devlog?"

If you want to track your progress / write down your journey and answers / reactions are secondary, you can also do that. There's (sadly imo) tons of devlogs filled only with posts by the dev(s). That's fine, too.

when you have an idea and a picture of something that isnt just a drawing

Yesterday

start at the top, maintain an edited first post with links to important moments in the log. in my opinion

Yesterday, in my opinion. Getting early feedback when your alpha's starting to come together can be critical.

Personally i like seeing games progress from placeholder graphics through to the finished title.

I love watching how games evolve.

Thank you all for encouragement!
Here is the link to the devlog:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50912.0

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »

I like this feedback.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »

Well, I still didn't made a devlog myself. And there a few times I desire to do it. Maybe it's time to do that.

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »

Right now!! I gotta start.

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »

Yes, all that feedback from no posts in the devlog area where nobody talks except the original thread starter*.

*Unless you are already super far into development and/or it's extremely pretty already.

That's part of why I don't bother with starting one. I'll just get really discouraged cuz there will more than likely not be a single post in one that's not my own.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »

i have learned to realize people will start givving feedback like 20 posts reporting rpogress., unless its visually engaging.

attractive devlogs follow marketing models

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic