Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:43:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignItems: Looks, Usability or Consistency?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Items: Looks, Usability or Consistency?  (Read 865 times)
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »

Hello guys!

I'm having some troubles designing how pickable items will look in a game I'm working on called Trahsomancer. In this game there are 3 types of pickable items aside from hp pickups and ammo/currency:

We have items that you can rebuild yourself will and you will loose as you run out of hp (type 1).
      Then we have power ups that are permanent untill you die (type 2).
      Finally we have weapons (type 3).

First I thought about color coding the type of items (1= blue, 2= green, 3= red) and making them float a bit, but my partner says that items of type 1 should look different overall and actually fall to the floor.
      For me this is a consistency problem as I believe that these 3 types of items that you can pick and basically power you up in one way or another should have consistency in the looks.
      Also the color coding looks a bit too flashy but I also think that it really adds to the usability of this system and makes you able to distinguish fast what you are picking.
      Overall I think that non color coded items with some physics looks better but it really breaks a lot of usability and breaks consistency when they behave differnt from type to type.

This is a mock of what we have so far, what do you guys think about this subject? should I strive for consistency, looks or usability? any suggestions?

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:47:27 PM »

Hi!

You can also add some pads for objects and combine it with color code.

If such pads are too futuristic you can create stands for weapons, shrines for health, mana wells... etc.

Don't break open doors. Find games that are similar and look how they resolved the problem. Gather references and upgrade it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic