Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:23:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Escapist/Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen/Chris Roberts
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Escapist/Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen/Chris Roberts  (Read 1848 times)
brimby
Level 0

Oh hi Mark.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2015, 04:24:13 PM »

I'm sure you guys have been seeing all the hubbub with the Star Citizen drama. If not this is a pretty good summary: http://indieruckus.com/the-star-citizen-drama-is-out-of-control-lets-look-at-both-sides/

I suppose asking who's side everybody's on is a bit ridiculous because who knows who is right in this ugly of a tangle, but any opinions as to who's the most credible source in this mess?

I'm a reasonable man; get off my case.
Lokai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »

Honestly, not really, but the Escapist does seem a bit sketchy about all of it. However, they are journalists and they are supposed to be hiding their sources, but it does seem incredibly fishy that their sources posted the exact same complaints (word for word in certain parts) on Glassdoor shortly after. It all seems a little too planned and weird for me to buy, especially given previous pieces they did that seem to have an agenda of trying to take down Robert Space Industries/ Star Citizen. I did like the open and honest response from Robert and other Star Citizen people, all of which invite further discussion and even offer to let The Escapist's people check out their studios and interview whomever. If they are hiding something, they are doing a good job making it seem like they aren't. This seems like one of those things where no one is going to know what is actually true until way later.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:56:27 PM »

There's a lot of delicious gossip-like scandal filled around the entire thing, but it's always raised my eyebrow how Star Citizen has simultaneously extended its launch frame, claimed it need more money to sustain development, and then say the longer launch date was required because of the stretch goals achieved (by the money needed to sustain development).

A lot of industry vets have been thinking of Kickstarter and crowdfunding as the old publisher relationships that they're used to, with all the attendant back and forth on ekeing out funds or faking milestones, and it's backfired on them a few times - eg Molyneux, Schafer, and so on.

If Star Citizen ever makes it to release, it'll probably be pretty good. Don't know it'll get there, though.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »

Now I'm glad I was too skeptical to back Star Citizen.
How the hell do you not make a game when you have hundreds of millions of dollars to make sure it happens!?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

more budget than mgs5
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »

the final and ultimate battle for who gives a shit supremacy has begun and battle lines have been drawn. which side are you on, the one that gets a regular boner style hardon about having sex with human beings and mcdonalds hamburgers or the insane parallel world of on line where you get horny for space ships and financial domination
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:23:20 PM »

I'm clearly on the pop corn side

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »

the traditional tyrannical model of "paying something to get something" has been finally brutally upended by The 300 with Central Obesity making a brave last stand by paying infinite amounts of money to argue about lord only knows what with an endless and bottomless fury
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »

Lol i didnt think i would hear about derek smart ever again. good to know he's still Cruising into pointless internet Battles in 2015AD. I like how he's criticizing a space themed game for delays too.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

Star Citizen vaporware news at 11
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »

Actually I don't think it's a vaporware given the transparent update they put up. and the fact they are under scrutiny of a whole community to which they have to respond and explain any slip at any moment. Not sure if the project can hold up in the long term, but that's just how project goes.

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »

That doesn't mean it'll ever ship. if it does it won't be anything promised. I have no real reason to believe anything the company says or shows is actually in as decent state as they make it out to be. It'll be the biggest snake oil scam in decades whenever something finally comes out.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 10:40:12 PM »

Well that's what I said, but it's not a vaporware as there was deliverable that where delivered.

However any project of that scale are difficult to pull off. But snake oil it isn't so far (we had molyneux for those), even if it fail to deliver. That's an hyperbole.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 02:49:14 PM »

Lol i didnt think i would hear about derek smart ever again. good to know he's still Cruising into pointless internet Battles in 2015AD. I like how he's criticizing a space themed game for delays too.

The last major story I heard about him was him kicking in a soda machine at take two in like 95 o_0

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic